2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T SportCombi Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

OOPS Wrong car.
By notstock

2006 Saab 9-3 Wagon Aero SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Well I got suckered by the lure of a 'Good deal" I needed a cheap family vehicle and I found a 2006 SportCombi Aero with 56K miles for only 11.5K, paid cash and now I know why it was so cheap. It started having problems on the way home from buying the stupid car. It's got this weird surging hesitation under partial throttle. A grinding clanking from the engine, and a weird high pitched whine from the audio system even if it's turned off. This is a one owner dealer maintained car with full service records, so I know it was taken care of. I'm really disappointed because I liked the performance in a car that I don't see dozens of every day. UNIQUE, I like that. Unreliable and broken NOPE.

Favorite Features

I like the way it looks. The performance for the price is great. The front seats are wonderfully comfortable. Upscale feel for bottom basement price. (At least in the used market) I have the Auto, not quite sure why there is no SportCombi Aero Wagon with auto trans option on the choose your model section.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the interior trim could be of higher quality. Not breaking down on the way home from buying it would be nice. I'm trading it in on a Subaru Outback in the morning after 48 hours of ownership. Maybe if it hadn't broken down right away I'd be willing to give it more of a chance.

Best Car I've ever owned!
By boomer47

2006 Saab 9-3 Wagon 2.0T SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Saab new in 2006 after quite a bit of due diligence and it has been best vehicle I have ever owned. It is fun to drive, economical, reliable, and very functional. It's great in the snow and the turbo gives it great acceleration.

Favorite Features

Turbo, great in snow, fabulous sound system, lots of front passenger room. Stylish and very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

The original equipment Perrelli tires were not very good. The latch on the rear hatch should open when the doors are opened.

My Jet
By Islah

2006 Saab 9-3 Wagon 2.0T SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I saw the Combi in 07 and i fell in love with the car, it looked like a Red jet coming from the other side, It looked beautiful and since then i was trying to buy this car but they seldom come out for sell, used that is. I finally bought the car last week, and in love with it. can't stop thinking about it. I didn't know, driving a car could be this much fun. I also have an 02 525i, and it delivers its own fun, but the sheer driving pleasure that this car provides is out of the ordinary. There is plastic all around is because the car needs to be light on its feet like Acura RDX.

A Sweet Swede
By Sold on Saab

2006 Saab 9-3 Wagon 2.0T SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought it new and it's still under warranty. Love the design and utility. I've driven it across country and back twice in great comfort and safety. Superb handling allowed me to avoid being rear-ended by another driver. Handled a blizzard in Chicago in February. Routinely get 33 mpg on freeways using cruise control. Great buy compared to BMW or Audi - thousands less. HID headlights are the best I've ever seen with. Real red walnut trim is classy. Only issue is self-locking doors; they sometimes engage/disengage/engage several times when starting; dealer can't seem to correct this. Will definitely consider another Saab when I'm ready for another new car.

Favorite Features

Seat comfort, active head restraints, manumatic transmission, exterior styling, cargo capacity, acceleration, handling and braking, rear fog light, remote auto open windows and sunroof (great on hot days - allows built-up heat to escape), excellent safety rating.

Suggested Improvements

Program to unlock all doors when engine is turned off, rather than just driver's door, ventilated seats (not just heated).

Buying Saab was the worst decision of my
By Nataliya

2006 Saab 9-3 Wagon Aero SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I can say now confidently that buying Saab from GM was the worst decision we made with my husband so far in our lives! The car design is simply put flawed, the car is constantly breaking and each morning you are praying that your 3-year old nice looking car will start. I had 6 battery problems each time it is something new around the battery: faulty switch, wires, corrosion, alternator, throttle motor is draining it... 5 issues with coolant system, my AC was passing smoke into the cabin since antifreeze was leaking into AC system, ESP failure, faulty gas cap, etc. Not mentioning constantly peeling exterior, cracking knobs on the dashboard, leaking washer nozzles and tank...

Favorite Features

Design of the dashboard and seats.

Suggested Improvements

Start from scratch and change everything after GM destroyed Saab as a brand. Stop cutting cost in areas where it is unacceptable.

77000 Miles and No Problems
By RogKel

2006 Saab 9-3 Wagon 2.0T SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Still a quiet, smooth ride. 2.0t has more than adequate power. Summer mileage 26 to 28 mpg on regular; winter mileage 23 to 25 in NH. No mechanical or electrical problems other than H7 low beam bulbs have a 4-6 month life expectancy. Exterior and interior have held up well. Highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Smooth power from turbo four without a lot of noise. Dog can sleep soundly.

Suggested Improvements

Original Pirelli P6's didn't have enough tread left at 22000 miles to make it thru another winter. Current tires are Michelin Primacy MXV4; much smoother, quieter tire, but pricey. Rear brake pads shot at less than 30,000 miles; original front pads only about half worn.

Details, details, details!!!
By CMC

2006 Saab 9-3 Wagon 2.0T SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought used in '08 w/20k miles. Has everything but nav. After 16k miles/12 months, car feels like development stopped at 85%. All the pieces are there, just not fine-tuned the last 15%. Strong drivetrain performance (2.0t w/5-speed auto), but average gas mileage (mid-20s on highway). Steering is light/fast, but ominous popping/clicking noises from front end when turning at low speed. Smooth road ride is exemplary; rough road ride is jittery/harsh. Seats are comfortable/durable; rest of interior has too much brittle plastic. HVAC/radio too button-intensive. Interior squeaks and rattles are starting. Well-designed conceptually, but execution lacking. Resale value plummeting even after 3 years.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, seat comfort, visibility, cargo storage/utility, high level of equipment (both standard and optional).

Suggested Improvements

Electrical issues--random theft alarm; drivers window wouldn't go up/sunroof wouldn't close. Dealer resolved after multiple visits. Suggest working on mfg. execution for product to match market re: fit+finish/ materials quality. Dealers need help too. Make Acura your target market, not M-B, BMW.

Update to 10/28/2006 & 7/21/2006 Reviews
By Jyerka

2006 Saab 9-3 Wagon Aero SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have put a few years of road tripping and hauling mountain bikes and snow boards in this car, still fun to drive. (~50Kmiles) Turbo is excellent now that I have moved to Denver (5500ft.). I can drive it in the snow easily- advantage being I grew up in the snow, I was more worried about having 17" wheels. No mechanical or electrical problems, exterior and interior have held up well against rough use. No change in gas mileage, I saw an increase when moving to CO (not sure why). Useful tools and jack, I use the cargo cover at trail heads. Only worry is brakes are weak for about 30 seconds after starting car, weird.

Favorite Features

Putting the shifter into "manual" and hitting the pedal really gets you there fast. Interior look great. Two golf bags, two suit cases, a cooler and a dog, no problem.

Suggested Improvements

Sound proofing- speaker rattle and road noise, and you probably wont need a new stereo. Less plastic on the interior. Windshield washer line froze at 8F. Full size spare. Remote lock/unlock performance.

Could be better
By CP

2006 Saab 9-3 Wagon 2.0T SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It is a great car, but have had problems with steering wheel locking and key not working car at all,this has happened a few times, they said nothing could be done about it .. problem for that year? Have had electrical quirks, and had to have key reprogrammed. It has speed unreal, can go so fast in seconds. Seats are extremely comfortable, and the gas mileage has been fantastic. It is like the car that keeps giving in the fuel department! The quirks are annoying to say the least for such low mileage, but if I had not had a problem with the above mentioned, the car would rate a 10 in my book hands down.

So far so good
By maxedsaab

2006 Saab 9-3 Wagon 2.0T SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I hope that this will provide a bit of a longterm insight. My SportCombi has 32000 miles now. It is still a blast to drive. Always leaves me with a smile. Tested multiple cars prior to this choice. Traded in a 2003 Passat wagon. Love practicality of this wagon and it has a great profile. Drove A3, A4, BMW 325x, Mazda6 wagon, and none were perfect. Chose Saab for a couple of reasons, cost, fun to drive, practicality and style. No major headaches, just some minor quirks, such as the keys needing reprogrammed. I was afraid at first that the interior may not hold up, but it has. Original Pirelli tires stunk, have new Potenzas and it is night and day. All and all very pleased.

Favorite Features

Unique, I think I had the only SportCombi in Pittsburgh for a long time. Good gas mileage with 5 sp, ave 22-23, mostly city. Down some with new tires. Blast to drive, handles well. Power band slow to reach, but once there seems to have no limit. All the little things to make space more useful.

Suggested Improvements

Start with key to open door. Maybe me but I hate double clicking to open them. Better radio, better materials in interior. BETTER TIRES, Originals not good at anything. Footrest, next to clutch pedal, need one. Thats is, wow, it really has been a good car, and I am very tough on them