Used 2006 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Saab 9-3

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

I miss my Swede Racer =*(
By aeropower

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

sold my '06 9-3 Aero Aug 2013 & replaced it w/a 2009 2.0T for fuel efficiency & I regret it every day. The 2.0T is plagued w/sensor probs that throw the car into limp home mode. Bought my 2.0T in Nov w/69k miles & it's been in the shop 2X & will be going again next week. I've only put 2500 mi on it. But I digress, this review is for the '06 Aero. The car was perfect for me. Sold it with 116k mi & it was still running beautifully. Needed a new radiator & some minor suspension repairs but the car still moved like it did when i bought it w/31k mi in 2008. Selling the 2.0T to look for another '06 Aero with the button dash. Feel like I gave up a child in August. haha

Favorite Features

2.8T engine. Does the torque ever go away? NO! =) Saab Information Display (SID) atop the dash, xenon headlights, rain sense wipers, the cool airplane sound warning chime. Even the sound of the turn signals is cooler than the 2009. Saab-ish button dash (2007 model did away with the button dash for a GM radio unit and knobs.

Suggested Improvements

the front overhang on the Aero body kit is ALWAYS hitting something. mine actually came off a few times and i would have to pop it back into place.

2006 Saab Aero
By neuchy

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The car drives beautifully. The ride is firm, sporty firm that is. Some may find it uncomfortable on the cracked roads of Michigan. Performance wise, the car will provide more power than you'll ever need. Don't be surprised if you find yourself driving at 110mph the first week or two you get it. The ride is so smooth you don't even realize you're driving at high speed. The acceleration is simply astonishing. Whether you're already driving at 70 or 30mph you'll feel the same phenomenal pull! I have been able to drive the car on all surfaces and I must say it handles horribly on the snow. I ended up facing the wrong direction when I took a Michigan left (at only 5mph!!!)

Favorite Features

The bucket seats are very comfortable. The dashboard is slightly oriented towards the driver which makes it so much easier for you. Some fancy buttons are there for you to either switch assisted features on or off. For a little fun on a track you may want to deactivate all the features as they kick in as soon as they sense the vehicle is unbalanced and out of its trajectory.

Suggested Improvements

The car's electronic system is fragile. The lock control on my driver's side keeps locking and unlocking the doors when I hit the button just once. I always have to ask my shotgun to lock the vehicle's door. Some other features are also more likely to dysfunction. The power mirrors for instance have been working only for a year. Finally, the stereo is greatly disappointing in a car that retails for 35,000 new! The Turbo lag is to be expected since it is not a supercar. I would say you can feel the Turbo being shy at low speeds but as soon as you gain a little speed the Turbo finally unleashes its full monstrous potential !

OOPS Wrong car.
By notstock

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Well I got suckered by the lure of a 'Good deal" I needed a cheap family vehicle and I found a 2006 SportCombi Aero with 56K miles for only 11.5K, paid cash and now I know why it was so cheap. It started having problems on the way home from buying the stupid car. It's got this weird surging hesitation under partial throttle. A grinding clanking from the engine, and a weird high pitched whine from the audio system even if it's turned off. This is a one owner dealer maintained car with full service records, so I know it was taken care of. I'm really disappointed because I liked the performance in a car that I don't see dozens of every day. UNIQUE, I like that. Unreliable and broken NOPE.

Favorite Features

I like the way it looks. The performance for the price is great. The front seats are wonderfully comfortable. Upscale feel for bottom basement price. (At least in the used market) I have the Auto, not quite sure why there is no SportCombi Aero Wagon with auto trans option on the choose your model section.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the interior trim could be of higher quality. Not breaking down on the way home from buying it would be nice. I'm trading it in on a Subaru Outback in the morning after 48 hours of ownership. Maybe if it hadn't broken down right away I'd be willing to give it more of a chance.

Not Safe
By brijitte

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

While driving at 11:30 pm on a small country (paved) road with my high beams on, my warning system indicated "Left High Beam Failure. About a minute later the left head light was in flames. Within 15 minutes the entire front half/engine of the car was in flames and subsequently burned/melted the entire front half of the car. There were less than 80,000 miles on the car. After month and a half Saab still has not investigated this issue and refuses to acknowledge the issue. I have pictures of the fire that I am happy to share. It was a horrible experience, and I am not sure how Saab can have such reputation for safety.

Disappointing
By psbob

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had three SAAB's and am currently still driving my 89 900S. What an utter disappointment. I know on paper this car is much better than previous models. Sitting down in the car, my first impression was that I had lost my best friend. The car has none of the charm that my other SAAB's have had. It felt like a gussied up cavalier. None of the materials in the car seemed first rate. With the current financial problems (and I see why, it doesn't feel like a SAAB SAAB) coupled with the not so nice feel of the car, guess I won't be bringing home the next one. I drove the new S60 and it felt more like a SAAB than this car.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the top notch interior materials, and a thicker steering wheel.. oh yeah.. and make it corner like the previous SAABs.