Used 2005 Saab 9-3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Saab 9-3 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

have had some issues... but overall a good car with good MPG and fun to drive. if could go back in time would probably of gotten something else however.
By nccaitlin

2005 Saab 9-3 Sedan Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car for a year now. I bought with 52k miles and have put 20k on it since. I have had a few issues with it so far - drivers side mirror piece fell off and had to be glued back on - back window wasn't working --> $200 -other back window stopped working - have had to change bulbs in headlights 2x already -error messages -> traction control/stability/immobilizer failure (after jumping battery it did not want to start and went haywire for a while before starting) - A/C blower locked up and had to be released and oiled up - Car wash knocked off antenna cover However this car is pretty fun to drive and no major mechanical issues. Great MPG over 40 often. Lost 2k in value already.

Favorite Features

I like it calculates the MPG and that it also calculates when you need to get your next oil change (if you get synthetic). I usually can get over 40 MPG highway. Overall I average about 36 or 37 MPG highway and some city. I like where the ignition is in the middle. It is a unique car.

Suggested Improvements

The front seats take forever to lean back and lean forward. It takes a lot of turns of a knob for it to go either way which I do hate. The window motors do not seem to last long and neither do the headlight bulbs which are a bit of a hassle to get to. The interior seems to chip easily (or previous owners were rough) and lights behind the air control unit is going out and only half of it is lit.

Great Car - I will buy another.
By AM

2005 Saab 9-3 Sedan Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car for my daughter and I now ask to borrow it. It is great fun to drive. We have the 5- speed manual and I was surprised by the level of performance. The quality is evident and I especially like the fact that the 2.0 L 4 cylinder has a timing CHAIN instead of a timing belt. We get 37 MPG on the highway at 70 MPH. Driving 60 MPH, I can get over 40 MPG (I did this on a 300 mile trip I took recently on back roads). About 26 MPG in the city. Good quality leather seats. Beware of trying to modify the radio. The whole electronics system in the car is controlled through fiber optic lines that also run the radio. It is expensive to repair the radio.

Favorite Features

Style, quality, subtlety, surprising sporty feel

Suggested Improvements

Better base radio

A Lear Jet without the wings.
By MarkPopkie

2005 Saab 9-3 Sedan Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just purchased this vehicle used with 75k miles. Previous owner had been meticulous with service records so I feel confident that this baby was pampered. I have barely added 100 miles to the odometer but I am already impressed. Having driven or owned nearly every kind of car in this category, the Saab stands out as the most fun to drive. Fantastic handling, the turbo responds to my every whim, and the air handling system is straight out of a Boeing 747. I have never driven a 4 cylinder that handles A/C quite like this. Despite having a 13 speaker sound system, I was underwhelmed by the stereo - I may have already blown a driver. I do,however, love the timeless quality of the exterior design.

Favorite Features

Air handling system is stellar. Very comfortable interior. The 4 wheel disc brakes are breathtakingly responsive. Amazing get-up-'n'-go turbo. Overall, this car is safe, fun, and really good looking in a minimalist sort of way.

Suggested Improvements

Insulation between plastic-on-plastic joints would decrease interior noise. Higher quality speakers. That's all I've got for now, but I'll return after a year for a follow up. First impressions were very good though. I look forward to my commute, and that says a lot!

Great entry-level luxury
By DB

2005 Saab 9-3 Sedan Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has great response and power for day to day driving. On the highway it goes all the way from 35 to 90 quickly, smoothly, and fairly quietly. On the street it handles great and the ESP and ABS keep it safe. Driving this car in Salt Lake City during the winter felt secure, even in a midnight blizzard. I would rather be in this than in a pickup or SUV that might roll over. Interior is bare bones but nails all the little details. Once you get used to the major differences in control location, everything feels exactly right. Lots of room and very comfortable. The Senstronic shifter is very useful when going down a mountain.

Favorite Features

Handling, passing power, control interface, great car for snow, safety.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo quality is pretty bad- I am saving up to upgrade the speakers and add an AUX jack. Black quasi-leather wheel is painful to touch in summer heat and winter frost. Steering phone controls are just for show. Adjustable center console armrest has a tendency to roll forward when braking.

Underrated and Unappreciated
By jonathan7482

2005 Saab 9-3 Sedan Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

A great all around car, so fun to drive. It seems like you don't even have to think to drive this car. It is humane and a breeze in the city, and can really rip it up on the open road. If it disappears, the 9-3 will go down forever as an underrated, unappreciated, and underpriced car.

Favorite Features

The car responds effortlessly to driver commands, with no oversteer/understeer or drifting within lanes. Acceleration is fluid and dramatic, and braking is straight with negligible body roll. The car is quite simply an absolutely blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing worth mentioning on the vehicle.