2005 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
9.3 convertible.....I'm not getting rid of it
By jbeloff on 08/12/13 13:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-3 Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned a saab for over 20 years and find them to be the highest quality car. While Saab has had it's many challenges over the years it has always produce a solid performer with above average reliability. Unfortunately the markets tends to go with the brands with the biggest budget to impress you with the image of it's brand. Saab has done a outstanding job mixing form with function. Everyone who has enjoyed the ride in my car are always impressed with the quality and find themselves asking why they never considered on. Saabs brand deserves leadership that can carry it's unique niche and continue it's quality builds to attract more owners looking for something that just works well.

have had some issues... but overall a good car with good MPG and fun to drive. if could go back in time would probably of gotten something else however.
By nccaitlin on 07/02/12 21:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car for a year now. I bought with 52k miles and have put 20k on it since. I have had a few issues with it so far - drivers side mirror piece fell off and had to be glued back on - back window wasn't working --> $200 -other back window stopped working - have had to change bulbs in headlights 2x already -error messages -> traction control/stability/immobilizer failure (after jumping battery it did not want to start and went haywire for a while before starting) - A/C blower locked up and had to be released and oiled up - Car wash knocked off antenna cover However this car is pretty fun to drive and no major mechanical issues. Great MPG over 40 often. Lost 2k in value already.

Great Car - I will buy another.
By AM on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car for my daughter and I now ask to borrow it. It is great fun to drive. We have the 5- speed manual and I was surprised by the level of performance. The quality is evident and I especially like the fact that the 2.0 L 4 cylinder has a timing CHAIN instead of a timing belt. We get 37 MPG on the highway at 70 MPH. Driving 60 MPH, I can get over 40 MPG (I did this on a 300 mile trip I took recently on back roads). About 26 MPG in the city. Good quality leather seats. Beware of trying to modify the radio. The whole electronics system in the car is controlled through fiber optic lines that also run the radio. It is expensive to repair the radio.

A Lear Jet without the wings.
By MarkPopkie on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just purchased this vehicle used with 75k miles. Previous owner had been meticulous with service records so I feel confident that this baby was pampered. I have barely added 100 miles to the odometer but I am already impressed. Having driven or owned nearly every kind of car in this category, the Saab stands out as the most fun to drive. Fantastic handling, the turbo responds to my every whim, and the air handling system is straight out of a Boeing 747. I have never driven a 4 cylinder that handles A/C quite like this. Despite having a 13 speaker sound system, I was underwhelmed by the stereo - I may have already blown a driver. I do,however, love the timeless quality of the exterior design.

Great entry-level luxury
By DB on 08/22/10 03:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has great response and power for day to day driving. On the highway it goes all the way from 35 to 90 quickly, smoothly, and fairly quietly. On the street it handles great and the ESP and ABS keep it safe. Driving this car in Salt Lake City during the winter felt secure, even in a midnight blizzard. I would rather be in this than in a pickup or SUV that might roll over. Interior is bare bones but nails all the little details. Once you get used to the major differences in control location, everything feels exactly right. Lots of room and very comfortable. The Senstronic shifter is very useful when going down a mountain.

Underrated and Unappreciated
By jonathan7482 on 11/27/09 07:12 AM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

A great all around car, so fun to drive. It seems like you don't even have to think to drive this car. It is humane and a breeze in the city, and can really rip it up on the open road. If it disappears, the 9-3 will go down forever as an underrated, unappreciated, and underpriced car.

So fun. Exclusive.
By icecold328 on 09/27/09 17:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I went through MANY cars, over 15. This is the most fun car I had. It handles beautifully and the turbo is just something else on it. It's really fun to drive. Quality is one of the best in my eyes. As long as u take care of it, it will last. It's very well built in my opinion. However, don't take it to Saab dealers when it needs a repair or maintenance, they really charge a lot. B/c they expect u to be rich to own a Saab. Rather, find a private mechanic that is good with Saabs. By the way I get at least 36mpg on the highway, and 25 in the city when I drive fast and 28 when I drive economically. Just don't cut corners with its maintenance, give the car what it requires and it will last.

Very Enjoyable
By Michigan on 06/12/09 07:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought it used for the purpose of a new salesman's car. I easily put 50,000 miles on in one year and never had anything major go wrong. Tires, synthetic oil, blah blah blah. The point? No problems. I had been warned by many about a Saab's reliability. This obviously proved untrue. The zero to whatever as many reviews have testified to is nothing to write home about. It's better than most I would say, but passing power with the auto-stick transmission is a blast. The trunk is huge, backseats are small and the overall comfort for the driver is sufficient. Good tires go a long way and I tinted all of the side and rear windows which dramatically improves overall car appearance (I think).

Very satisfying drive.
By MJ on 04/30/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-3 Aero 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 9-3 convertible is a total package that comes together for a very satisfying ride. If you look at any one detail of the car it may or may not be best in class, but when combined it just makes you smile. It gives a solid, tight, controlled ride, a little busy on bad pavement. You're very connected to the road. Acceleration from a dead stop is nothing special, but when you're on the road the passing power is impressive! Very comfortable seats. The automatic top opens/closes in 20 secs, even if you're driving (slowly). The stereo isn't strong, but its notes & sounds are very precise (don't confuse bass boost with good music). There's a reason this is Saab's most popular car.

Better than expected
By tom on 02/21/09 09:41 AM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-3 Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car used with 45,000 miles on it and 6 mos. left on the factory warranty. The car has been great, looks and runs like a brand new car with no problems. It was a one owner car that I purchased from the original selling dealer.