Used 2004 Saab 9-3 Linear Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

A Total Disappointment!
By Saabing weekly

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I can't wait to get rid of this car. It has been a nightmare. Let's see... transmission, engine, and computer problems to name a few. Then there's the water leakage, cheap interior materials that break,defiant trunk lid, volume controls that don't work, and seat upholstry that comes off. What about the door locks that open on their own and the incompetent/hostile/indifferent dealer/corporate network? I am so regretful that I purchased this car. I can't believe that it is considered a luxury car. It clearly not in the same quality realm as its European neighbors.

Um, it is distinct. I chose an unusual color that I rarely see. It looks nice parked in the driveway and at the dealership.

It would be nice if it wasn't in the dealership every month. The depreciation is frightening. The interior is loaded with plastic. It should be more sophisticated. Overall, the car needs to be more reliable.

Great Car at Any Price
By Demetri

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I feel sorry for those Saab owners who've had a bad experience with their 9-3. I've owned the car almost two years and have been completely happy with it. The Linear's motor puts out 175hp, but with a low curb weight (for this segment) and the great-shifting 5sp, I can get off the line quick enough for most situations. Great gas mileage (27 mpg mixed), plenty of back seat room for our 3 kids, massive trunk, and Saab's unbeatable safety rating. The important stuff is all standard - traction control, dynamic stability control, brake assist, 8 air bags, etc etc. My wife likes it so much, we're getting her the 9-3 Sport- Combi and ditching our minivan.

Exterior styling, torquey engine, standard performance handling /safety features, functional dash layout, massive trunk, GREAT mileage, exclusivity factor.

Make 17" wheels standard across all trim levels.

Not as bas bad as the reviews suggest
By annonymours

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the 3rd saab I've owned and the first since GM took over. All my Saabs have been good to me as far as reliability goes. I've never had any problems and have only had to replace tires in addition to routine maintenance. My only complaints about my 9-3 is that for the price, it should have more performance/HP and the interior material quality is noticeably inferior to my older 2000 9-5 wagon. Braking and cornering on this car are excellent. Acceleration is not, but it handles well at higher speeds and on the highway. You can probably get more out of a car for the same price, but it won;t look as good. As for the reliability of my saab 9-3, I have no complaints.

Styling. Seat comfort.

More horsepower. Improve interior quality of materials. Time for a new look on the center console...

Yes, GM ruined Saab
By The 'Mules

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Look at all of the poor reviews previously submitted and you basically have my review. I purchased my 3rd Saab, a 2004 9-3 Linear and what a disappointment. I knew GM had more input in this 9-3 than the previous models, but I still bought one. That's how loyal I was to Saab. Boy, was that a mistake. I've lost count of the number of times she's been in the shop; brakes, radio, transmission, rattles, doors unlocking by themselves, SID going blank, key replaced, etc., etc... I wish I could tell everyone who is considering a GM...er, Saab to NOT DO IT! Stay away. Don't let the image of the old Saab cloud your decision. PS: Saab no longer makes fighter planes - haven't for some time now.

Initially, price was my favorite feature. I thought I made a great deal until I lived with the car for a while. Boy, did they get me.

Even though GM has owned a majority share of Saab since 1995, the "new" 9- 3 was the first Saab model they messed with. Enough said.

What a Lemon
By Ali

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I could not be more unhappy with a car. I had a 2003 which was fine. I traded it for a new 2004. You name it, and it has gone wrong. I spend more time at the dealership than at work. The dealership has been awful, Saab corporate has been awful, and the car itself - even worse. I cannot believe companies can get away with selling such a piece of trash. The transmission does not perform properly, parts keeping breaking inside the car, the windshield wiper motor has blown, the oil pressure sensor has been replaced (and other major mechanical issues). I will never, ever buy another Saab, and probably will never by another GM vehicle because of my experience with this car.

The way it looks from the outside. The fuel economy.

Everything. From the ground up - including customer service.