2004 Saab 9-3 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews 4

2004 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Linear Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
Slow and quirky
By dumpdit on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I know, I got the Linear and performance could be better, but the biggest downsides of this car are the random layout of the interior controls and the soggy performance and handling. You have to punch, turn turn punch to go AM to FM and the sound is the worst stereo in recent automotive history. The base engine has bad turbo lag and more torque steer than you would like. Better give it some consideration before jumping out in traffic.

Cant wait to get it in convertible!
By SaidNoori, LA, CA on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

At first I hated it because I didnt know how to drive stick shift; the dealership didnt have it automatic in the color I wanted. Took me almost 3 months to master the manual and now I LOVE IT! My previous car was a C class MBZ and had constant electronical problems and had to take it for service literally every month. My Saab is truely reliable, very sporty, fun to drive, unique looking, and I just love it. I cant wait till my lease is over in 2 years so I can get it in convertible. I was always intrigued by Saab and people who never drove a Saab discouraged me to get one. Im happy with my choice and I'll be driving Saab for many years to come.

Linear 9-3 Saab with Touring Package
By Saabnewbie on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

New to Saab family and so far loving it. Former Volvo S70 owner and glad that got rid of it. We looked at BMW, VW and Volvo, but nothing came close to the performance and look of the car. I love the fact that there are not many out there. Unlike BMW's. This Saab is great to drive especially when cornering. Exterior is beautiful and smooth. The door handles can be painted or made of non-fading plastic. My 9-3 has the Touring Package upgrade with the 17" wheels which should be a must! I do have the clunking noise when backing of the driveway or just starting to roll when starting the car, according to Saab technician, the noise is due to the self adjusting brake and anti-lock brake system.

So far so good!
By AlamoSpear on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased my 9-3 used with 4,800 miles on it (9,000 now). I assume that it was traded in because of the rather harsh ride (my previous car was a MBZ 300E), especially given the poor condition of the roads around here. But it is a blast to drive - quick handling and acceptable acceleration with only 170HP. Love the exterior design. The enterior is minimalistic - very European. Trunk is quite large given the overall size of the car.

Happy as can be
By Branden on 09/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great car. The autostick works like a charm. The only concern which is minor is the amount of brake pad dust that accumulates on the wheels. But hopefully that will go away as the brakes wear in. The 9-3 cost thousands less than a comparable A4, 325 or S40, and the insurance was cheaper too!

Fun Fun Fun
By fast fredi on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fun, Fun, Fun. This Saab is much more elegant. The 88 Saab design was far ahead of any other car that was on the road at the time. Saab again has developed a car far beyond anything else on the road. This time they improved the ride, much smoother, very little turbo lag, and good fuel economy. The top comes down with the touch of one button. But there is always a draw back to Saab, If you are going on a long trip, take another car or don't take any clothes with you. Trunk space is a big factor if you travel alot. If the top is down, You can put a pack of gum and a pair of shoes. but all in all UI love my new SAAB.

Follow up from my last review...
By COGuy2 on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

OK... about a month after my last review (which noted only small problems), it's in for service where they found coolant in one of the cylinders. Long story short, two weeks later they're completely replacing the engine (which has 2500 miles on it). Brand new car, and on 3 occasions already I've had to drive a loaner (which right now is a Subaru... SaabUSA was giving the dealership grief about giving me a Saab loaner? Huh???!). Luckily (?) I'm approaching the criteria to invoke the Lemon Law in Colorado, which is the vehicle being out of service for 30 days in the first year... pretty sad.

love it despite the problems
By saaba on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

let me start with problems.sid showed gear box malfunction which was cleared by software update.the car stalled once !! while driving which again was solved by a software update.gear slip from 3 to 4 ,another software update .looks like this car needs more software updates than windows !!!!.few months ago car wouldnt start ,showed immobilizer failure (?),wouldnt jumpstart either ,dealer said dead battery !!!.go figure.on the positive side i love to drive this car ,fun and sporty .safe and stable at high speeds.although iam a little bit worried as my warranty period is running out.

Love my
By bunkyP on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

By far the funnest car I've driven. I have not had any problems with rattles as previous posters have mentioned. I have experienced the "clunk" noise backing out of my driveway, but am 99% certain that it is just the hangers for the exhaust system moving. Its really no big deal. Dealership experience was excellent - they take care of you (free car wash coupons around town, discounted service coupons, accessories, etc.). Only 8K miles so far, but if overall reliability is good, the next car I buy will buy a 9-5!

Safest Car on the Road!!
By benji05 on 09/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just recently I was involved in a 3 car pile up. A teenager driving about 45 slammed into the car behind me and then that car slammed into me. I got out of my car a little shook up and expected my 3 month old saab to be totaled, and to my astonishment there wasnt a scratch or dent on it!! Now the car that hit me and the other car were totally totaled and could not be driven away from the accident! This is the safest car out there. What other car do you know of that can withstand and 45 mph collision without a scratch? I would recommend this car to anyone! It has a beautiful design and flawless inteior. Very quit and great power. and every safety feature is o