2004 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
A Total Disappointment!
By Saabing weekly on 06/23/06 17:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I can't wait to get rid of this car. It has been a nightmare. Let's see... transmission, engine, and computer problems to name a few. Then there's the water leakage, cheap interior materials that break,defiant trunk lid, volume controls that don't work, and seat upholstry that comes off. What about the door locks that open on their own and the incompetent/hostile/indifferent dealer/corporate network? I am so regretful that I purchased this car. I can't believe that it is considered a luxury car. It clearly not in the same quality realm as its European neighbors.

Great Car at Any Price
By Demetri on 03/28/06 13:34 PM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I feel sorry for those Saab owners who've had a bad experience with their 9-3. I've owned the car almost two years and have been completely happy with it. The Linear's motor puts out 175hp, but with a low curb weight (for this segment) and the great-shifting 5sp, I can get off the line quick enough for most situations. Great gas mileage (27 mpg mixed), plenty of back seat room for our 3 kids, massive trunk, and Saab's unbeatable safety rating. The important stuff is all standard - traction control, dynamic stability control, brake assist, 8 air bags, etc etc. My wife likes it so much, we're getting her the 9-3 Sport- Combi and ditching our minivan.

Not as bas bad as the reviews suggest
By annonymours on 12/17/05 22:21 PM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the 3rd saab I've owned and the first since GM took over. All my Saabs have been good to me as far as reliability goes. I've never had any problems and have only had to replace tires in addition to routine maintenance. My only complaints about my 9-3 is that for the price, it should have more performance/HP and the interior material quality is noticeably inferior to my older 2000 9-5 wagon. Braking and cornering on this car are excellent. Acceleration is not, but it handles well at higher speeds and on the highway. You can probably get more out of a car for the same price, but it won;t look as good. As for the reliability of my saab 9-3, I have no complaints.

Yes, GM ruined Saab
By The 'Mules on 11/19/05 20:19 PM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Look at all of the poor reviews previously submitted and you basically have my review. I purchased my 3rd Saab, a 2004 9-3 Linear and what a disappointment. I knew GM had more input in this 9-3 than the previous models, but I still bought one. That's how loyal I was to Saab. Boy, was that a mistake. I've lost count of the number of times she's been in the shop; brakes, radio, transmission, rattles, doors unlocking by themselves, SID going blank, key replaced, etc., etc... I wish I could tell everyone who is considering a GM...er, Saab to NOT DO IT! Stay away. Don't let the image of the old Saab cloud your decision. PS: Saab no longer makes fighter planes - haven't for some time now.

What a Lemon
By Ali on 10/17/05 21:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I could not be more unhappy with a car. I had a 2003 which was fine. I traded it for a new 2004. You name it, and it has gone wrong. I spend more time at the dealership than at work. The dealership has been awful, Saab corporate has been awful, and the car itself - even worse. I cannot believe companies can get away with selling such a piece of trash. The transmission does not perform properly, parts keeping breaking inside the car, the windshield wiper motor has blown, the oil pressure sensor has been replaced (and other major mechanical issues). I will never, ever buy another Saab, and probably will never by another GM vehicle because of my experience with this car.

Saturn with a price tag of BMW
By GK on 09/18/05 11:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What a disappointment, this is what GM does with any company they buy/own, they Saturnize it! What this car is really worth shows it depreication, 2 years and your Sat.. sorry.. Saab is worth half what you've paid for it. In one word we lost a lot of money on this junk.

Must Buy
By Must Have on 08/20/05 12:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this Saab last year and I am very pleased with it: Great Value, 30 MPG, turbo performance, great standard options including leather heated seats, traction control and much more...

Beautiful Car - Poor Quality
By Donervogel on 01/19/05 11:29 AM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Me and my partner purchased an 04 Linear back at the end of April. We thought we were buying a very reliable car. NOT. It has been to the dealership service about once or twice a month. 1) Bad transmission programing (happened on an 800 mile trip). 2) Trunk wouldn't close 3)Bad rattles/vibration in the doors 4)Skid control failed (another 500 mile trip) 5) DTE Failed 6) Key would not unlock computer. Could not start after transmission programming fixed ( 800 miles away from home) 7) Service engine soon came on and was a false read. If you don't mind going to the dealership every month, then this car is for you! Won't buy another one. Will buy German from now on.

11 Months and still loving my 9-3 Linear
By BrianCA on 11/30/04 01:33 AM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Linear with the Cold Weather and Touring Packages for 11 months. I love it. The ride is great, it handles like it's on rails, and the car turns heads. The auto climate control works very well, and the heated seats are great. I love the auto stick shift. A real thrill to drive. The major problem with this car is the sound system. The base system is simply terrible. I upgraded to the premium system (13 speakers, 350 watts), and it is simply awesome. Saab shouldn't waste time on that terrible base system. I've had no problems so far, and love this car as much today as the moment I drove it off the lot.

Great car but
By dan r on 11/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just purchased my saab (linear) Ext is very nice but the int really looks cheap if you dont upgrade the sound systems which really stinks. My kids small hand radio sounds better. You will need to keep the window shut in order to hear it. It does rides nice....