Used 2004 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

Nothing else is even close
By senko555

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am a used car dealer and like cars a lot but cannot compare anything else with my Saab. Bought used one with 60k and now at 120k cost of my repairs are $0. When driving cars like accords or Camry from auctions I just cannot understand way people like them so much. Will never own any other brand for sure. I am sorry to hear that other people have some problems. Just change oil every 8k and transmission oil at 90k with coils and be happy that own one of best cars around. There is no timing belt to worry about either (timing chain) good for life time of vehicle. Still original battery after 7 years and 120k. Last year one Saab was retired because of over 1,000,000 miles. I hope this will be helpful.

speed.reliability, style,

dashboard quality.

Love it when it's working
By Kim

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It is a beautiful car that is fun to drive...when everything is working which is seldom. The sunroof works when it feels like it as does the radio and CD player. Have replaced the master cylinder twice in a year and a half. The stability control went out to the tune of $700. The locks constantly malfunction. The brakes are always spongy. Have replaced a wheel bearing also. This is all in less than two years of owning it. I am considering trading it even though I owe money on it. I would never buy another Saab. I walk up to it and love it then get in and something isn't working again and I get angry. SAAB - Something's Almost Always Broken.

Body style, fun to drive.

brakes electrical reliability

Unreliable!
By Unhappy Saab Owner

2004 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car used towards the end of February, problems started within 3 months of owning. Some of the problems I experienced: fuel pump breaking, the radiator needing to be replaced,the security system failing not once but twice, battery dead, and the transmission failed at 60k AND 66k. Not only that but in the summer I got into my car and notice the floors were soaked. A pipe had backed up into my car, flooding it and ruining the electrical box under the seat. I brought it to Saab and they fixed the problem or so I had thought. The car is still damp and smells like mold. This car has been in the shop more than I have used it in the last 10 months!

Turbo(when it worked), exterior design, comfort of seats, gas mileage.

Better transmission, electrical problems, and rattles.

Do research before you buy one!
By Taylor Gray

2004 Saab 9-3 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Loved the car. Had every option that cars do now except nav system. Even had 6-speed manual! Had MANY problems. It was always driven on the highway and taken care of so it was about the quality of the materials. I had to replace lower left ball joint, both struts (and mounts), springs, the entire car computer, rain sensor, radio, seatbelt, & ignition. Don't get me wrong the car was a great car but I am a college student and it was difficult to pay for repairs. I suggest not buying one unless you plan to have repair bills & you KNOW you CAN pay them. Saab's going out of business & the company is only required to make parts 10 years after the car was made. Plan on not finding any parts by '13.

LOVE the xenon headlights, alloy wheels, fuel economy (29 on average), 6-speed manual, steering wheel, radio was alright, 6-disc cd player, comfortable seats, very sporty, computerized everything including keys! iPod connector, exact heat control, moonroof, and heated seats.

Having a real spare tire, better leather seats that don't stretch (and I'm a small guy), less buttons, better exterior metal/less plastic parts, better interior plastic/less fade and peel, quality parts, electrical system, stronger turbo (mine wasn't peppy), road noise, cup holder, ignition.

Great Value
By Dr. Indianapolis

2004 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

A wonderful value, handles like a champ in the snow. Very comfortable and fun to drive. Best seats I have ever sat in, HVAC is powerful. Only downside is the interior look (plastic), but that is superficial. Drives fast, turbo is cool, the car is very safe and a winner for value among all other makers (pay more for wood interior and nothing else). Indy Saab on 16th street is a great dealership with wonderful service.

Seats, HVAC, turbo, safety

Interior quality (dash), but not if it adds too much to the cost.