Used 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

2004 SAAB 9-3 ARC Convertible for the Masses
By blacksaabeth2

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I truly believe that GM got it right when they retooled the 9-3 convertible for 2004. The older 9-3 convertibles had way too much flex in the chassis. Going over bumps made it feel like it was playing a game of Twister. 2004 convertible utilized GM's epsilon platform from Europe which firmed up the chassis 300%. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration but it really is firm. Acceleration is more than adequate considering that the engine is a GM inspired 2-liter Ecotec engine with a turbo charger. Same basic engine as found in the old Chevy Cobalt

Favorite Features

Convertible top works flawlessly! I've had BMW and Mini Cooper S convertibles and they were nightmares. Handling department is firm with taut suspension utilizing up rated struts and springs. Dare I say, it almost handles like a BMW through the turns. Not a feature, but the cost benefit or having 2004 Saab 9-3 convertible versus a 2004 BMW convertible definitely bares consideration. In fact, I believe I paid one-third to one-half the price of a comparable BMW 3-series convertible. Not that I am knocking BMW, I own one of those too but that's a different review.

Suggested Improvements

Interior wise, the seats are very comfortable with good lumbar support but the leather seems easily worn. The biggest issue I've found it the lack of quality of the various plastic components. Worn out buttons and door handles really irk me on a car that was once $43,000. That being said, I only paid a tenth of the original price! Anyway, too late for Saab to do anything to improve quality as they are history now that Spyker is bankrupt. Suggested improvement to Edmunds: Saab 9-3 ARC convertible is available in automatic. Your choices only allow for 5-speed manual. Please update the selections to include automatic transmission.

I don't get it.
By magikarp5

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just purchased a used 9-3 2004 arc automatic. It has a 100000 miles on it. This is by far the nicest car I have ever driven. I don't understand why the reviews are so mixed on this car. Now you can get a $40000 vehicle for under $10000. All I hear is people complaining about little things on this car. Performance, ride, and looks, three great reasons to buy it. I test drove others in this price range of $8000, nothing came close!

Favorite Features

Performance- top speed, 147 mph on a 4cilinder! Ride and looks! Oh yea and mpg and cost!

Suggested Improvements

Interior some things are cheep compared to rest of car.

Great car
By mplieber

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2004 Saab 9-3 convertible has been wonderful. Fun to drive, with an amazing acceleration on a 4-cylinder turbo engine. When going out with the family, we use the back seats which seat adults comfortably, although a bit cramped, but this beats a 2-seater any day. Reliability has been good, and the car has been well maintained. Only complaint is occasional problems with the electrical system: windows, convertible top, radio, ignition. None has been fatal but I have experienced 2 incidents where car would not start. Note: I have the automatic, not manual, model.

Favorite Features

Convertible Acceleration Simplicity Comfort

Suggested Improvements

Electrical system needs to be more reliable.

Electrical issues
By tonyb

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Aero 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall, I love the car, but problems with electrical. Latest is left blinker won't go off. 1100 at the dealer to fix.

Favorite Features

top down

Suggested Improvements

fix electrical problem and way too much brake dust.

80% Fun, 20% Headache
By Marshall H

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Excellence: Good looks without being flashy. Superb power delivery, very smooth for a small displacement turbo. So quiet inside you forget its a convertible, comfy seats. Acceptable: "premium" sound system is mediocre at best. Tires break free pretty easily when accelerating from a stop into a turn, but with FWD kind of expected. Unacceptable: Spotty build quality results in buttons and interior surface's paint rubbing off. Electrical gremlins are a constant threat. Complexity of common tasks like resetting oil life monitor is way more difficult than it has to be. Saab-ness: Saab is often different just for difference sake. Like the "night panel" function.

Favorite Features

Convertible top is fully automatic, no boot, no manual latches, just a button and it works great. Easily the quietest convertible we tried with either the top up or down.

Suggested Improvements

Make menus in information center easier to navigate. Use decent materials for the interior.