2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
2004 SAAB 9-3 ARC Convertible for the Masses
By blacksaabeth2 on 04/27/13 11:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I truly believe that GM got it right when they retooled the 9-3 convertible for 2004. The older 9-3 convertibles had way too much flex in the chassis. Going over bumps made it feel like it was playing a game of Twister. 2004 convertible utilized GM's epsilon platform from Europe which firmed up the chassis 300%. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration but it really is firm. Acceleration is more than adequate considering that the engine is a GM inspired 2-liter Ecotec engine with a turbo charger. Same basic engine as found in the old Chevy Cobalt

I don't get it.
By magikarp5 on 12/26/12 19:12 PM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just purchased a used 9-3 2004 arc automatic. It has a 100000 miles on it. This is by far the nicest car I have ever driven. I don't understand why the reviews are so mixed on this car. Now you can get a $40000 vehicle for under $10000. All I hear is people complaining about little things on this car. Performance, ride, and looks, three great reasons to buy it. I test drove others in this price range of $8000, nothing came close!

Great car
By mplieber on 01/21/11 05:53 AM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2004 Saab 9-3 convertible has been wonderful. Fun to drive, with an amazing acceleration on a 4-cylinder turbo engine. When going out with the family, we use the back seats which seat adults comfortably, although a bit cramped, but this beats a 2-seater any day. Reliability has been good, and the car has been well maintained. Only complaint is occasional problems with the electrical system: windows, convertible top, radio, ignition. None has been fatal but I have experienced 2 incidents where car would not start. Note: I have the automatic, not manual, model.

Electrical issues
By tonyb on 09/03/10 08:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Aero 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall, I love the car, but problems with electrical. Latest is left blinker won't go off. 1100 at the dealer to fix.

80% Fun, 20% Headache
By Marshall H on 05/20/10 14:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Excellence: Good looks without being flashy. Superb power delivery, very smooth for a small displacement turbo. So quiet inside you forget its a convertible, comfy seats. Acceptable: "premium" sound system is mediocre at best. Tires break free pretty easily when accelerating from a stop into a turn, but with FWD kind of expected. Unacceptable: Spotty build quality results in buttons and interior surface's paint rubbing off. Electrical gremlins are a constant threat. Complexity of common tasks like resetting oil life monitor is way more difficult than it has to be. Saab-ness: Saab is often different just for difference sake. Like the "night panel" function.

DRIVER SIDE MIRROR EXPLODED
By JenniferJimenez on 04/24/10 22:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was driving vehicle hit bump and turned black. Left brake light indactor states is inop. But brake light operates.

An underated fun car to drive
By anthony on 10/02/09 19:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Aero 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Unfortunately Saab gets bad press here in the States. This is a fun car to drive, handles well and the one fact overlooked is it's a safe car with many safety features for a convertible. I've owned many cars over the years and drove as much. The seats (where you spend most of your time) are extremely comfortable unlike the BMW convertible. A virtual maintenance free car that's a pleasure to own and drive.

Score!
By yowz on 07/16/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just bought a 2002 Volvo s60 2.4T about a month ago. Some lady totaled it for me by smashing into the passenger side. Was devastated until I found the Arc convertible. Went out and got this beauty and cannot believe how much of a better car it is! And I am paying about the same for a newer car with better handling, more horsepower and less mileage. Score.

Great Used Car with Over 100K miles
By Chuck on 12/17/08 11:46 AM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car on a whim and it already had over 100,000 miles on it. Yes, 100,000. The car ran like new. Handles extremely well and to date (almost 12 months later) I've had no problems. There were some minor issues and with routine maintenance the total cost for the year is under $250!!! I've had no electrical, mechanical or other issues at all. This is one fun car to drive and has held up well. I've got over 125,000 miles on the car now.

I Love my car - but
By Joe on 07/07/08 15:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I now have a 2004 Arc convertible. I love the car but I want it to behave. I traded a 2003 sedan on the conv. I have put 2 transmissions at 45,000 and 49,000 miles in both cars. If it weren't for a great service department at the Saab dealer, I would be looking for another make of car. I hope the last tranny will be the last tranny I need.