2004 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
disappointed and shouldnt be
By whatever21 on 12/19/12 16:06 PM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

bought this one used in 2009. cd player broken. headlight wire harnesses broken. front spoiler fell off. paint peeling on control buttons. comfort fan replaced-$600. driver side spring broken-replaced- with new tire $1000. lock system always malfunctions. key fob disintegrated in my hands. cover on third brake light fell off. seat belt retractor just broke-recall item. i am waiting for the next thing to go wrong and i shouldnt be. the engine has been great. the ride is fun although the seats are uncomfortable. have been able to get good gas mileage 31 - 38 and thats what keeps me in it. if I had to do it over I wouldnt. if you're looking at saab used be careful

Nothing else is even close
By senko555 on 03/19/10 23:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am a used car dealer and like cars a lot but cannot compare anything else with my Saab. Bought used one with 60k and now at 120k cost of my repairs are $0. When driving cars like accords or Camry from auctions I just cannot understand way people like them so much. Will never own any other brand for sure. I am sorry to hear that other people have some problems. Just change oil every 8k and transmission oil at 90k with coils and be happy that own one of best cars around. There is no timing belt to worry about either (timing chain) good for life time of vehicle. Still original battery after 7 years and 120k. Last year one Saab was retired because of over 1,000,000 miles. I hope this will be helpful.

Love it when it's working
By Kim on 03/03/10 18:50 PM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It is a beautiful car that is fun to drive...when everything is working which is seldom. The sunroof works when it feels like it as does the radio and CD player. Have replaced the master cylinder twice in a year and a half. The stability control went out to the tune of $700. The locks constantly malfunction. The brakes are always spongy. Have replaced a wheel bearing also. This is all in less than two years of owning it. I am considering trading it even though I owe money on it. I would never buy another Saab. I walk up to it and love it then get in and something isn't working again and I get angry. SAAB - Something's Almost Always Broken.

I'm totally a snaab now.
By Sean on 06/01/09 07:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car used with 43,000 miles on it. I did a lot of research into Saabs, Volvos, and VWs before I decided to purchase this car, and believe I made a very good decision. I have had absolutely no problems with the car other than normal wear and tear issues (new front brakes/pads, new tires) and it has totally exceeded my expectations. It handles great in all types of weather and has only gotten stuck in the snow once. I have never felt safer in a car, and even though it's kind of a little guy, I feel like I have a substantial car around me when I drive. I would recommend Saab to anyone as long as you get a good dealership to take it to for service.

Great car, fun to drive!!!
By Chris Higgens on 04/18/09 10:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car for a great price. So far I love everything about it, the style, handling, acceleration, and all the attention you get from driving such a classy car. I really have no complaints as of now and I would definitely recommend this car to a friend. Also it's a very safe car!

Fun and Safe
By Judi on 02/02/09 10:16 AM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my third Saab. I've only spent $140 on the car since purchased new. I drive it every day. Mileage is great on the highway (about 30 mpg) but on city streets it drops to the teens. A bit of trouble with the locks, and speakers not great in the 2004. Huge trunk but still prefer the old Saab hatchback (had my 1985 900 for 20 years). Safety features ahead of its time.

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear
By sk1395 on 08/28/08 15:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

All in all i think this is a good car. The interior is a little cheap with the finish flaking off. Also i've had to have the speakers in the front replaced twice now. My lock system failed during one very cold Wisconsin winter. All I can say is buy the Saab extended warranty! I didn't have to pay for anything to get fixed!

Great car
By jay0725 on 06/25/08 10:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Saab 9-3 about 2 1/2 years now. In that time I've put over 60k miles on it. Maintenance is very important with these cars to keep them from giving you problems. I religiously change my oil every 7500 miles with ONLY mobile 1 full synthetic. Also keeping up with the other maintenance has proved worth while. The dealers charge a lot but it's better than having a broken down car. I average 33mpg between all driving. It has the original clutch at 80k, still shifts and drives like new. Brake dust is out of control but brakes have lasted about 45k miles and still over half left. I had one major issue with engine block at 45k. It was under warranty and I got a free loaner.

Love this car!
By fledermaus98 on 06/24/08 09:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had the Saab 9-3 for 4 years now and have loved every minute of it. There have been no major problems with this car and I have only had to do routine maintenance. The only gripe I have is that the silver plastic piece on top of the shifter came off (super glue fixed that!) and there was a rattle in the door which the dealer took care of promptly. The car handles like a dream and is very sporty. The gas mileage is also fantastic! I average 23 in the city (stepping on the gas pedal pretty hard) and 34 on the highway doing 75 to 80 miles an hour. I would not hesitate to recommend this car to anyone!

Safety First
By ThreeSaabs on 03/29/08 09:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought new in 2004 for my teen-aged daughter. Car has been great; economical, fun, very few problems. Dealer service has been superb. Car was in an accident this week; car totaled, but my daughter walked away uninjured. Passenger compartment was completely intact. Crumple zone at engine compartment absorbed all impact. All airbags deployed. I am incredibly impressed and thank the Lord she was driving a Saab.