2004 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews

2004 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
A happy Saab owner
By kukusa on 11/04/14 21:14 PM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I feel very sad to see Saab went under. Its probably not surprising because today every car maker is going mainstream and the only way to survive is to get bigger, which Saab failed to achieve. But Saab definitely didn't fail to make a solid and sporty 9-3 convertible. They don't drive as well as a 3-series, but not off by much and the car itself is much, much more special. Not the mention the excellent value. Buy yourself a gently used 9-3 rag top today and find a trusted Saab shop, it will bring you years of happy top down motoring and attract lots of envy eyes.

2004 SAAB 9-3 ARC Convertible for the Masses
By blacksaabeth2 on 04/27/13 11:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I truly believe that GM got it right when they retooled the 9-3 convertible for 2004. The older 9-3 convertibles had way too much flex in the chassis. Going over bumps made it feel like it was playing a game of Twister. 2004 convertible utilized GM's epsilon platform from Europe which firmed up the chassis 300%. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration but it really is firm. Acceleration is more than adequate considering that the engine is a GM inspired 2-liter Ecotec engine with a turbo charger. Same basic engine as found in the old Chevy Cobalt

I don't get it.
By magikarp5 on 12/26/12 19:12 PM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just purchased a used 9-3 2004 arc automatic. It has a 100000 miles on it. This is by far the nicest car I have ever driven. I don't understand why the reviews are so mixed on this car. Now you can get a $40000 vehicle for under $10000. All I hear is people complaining about little things on this car. Performance, ride, and looks, three great reasons to buy it. I test drove others in this price range of $8000, nothing came close!

disappointed and shouldnt be
By whatever21 on 12/19/12 16:06 PM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

bought this one used in 2009. cd player broken. headlight wire harnesses broken. front spoiler fell off. paint peeling on control buttons. comfort fan replaced-$600. driver side spring broken-replaced- with new tire $1000. lock system always malfunctions. key fob disintegrated in my hands. cover on third brake light fell off. seat belt retractor just broke-recall item. i am waiting for the next thing to go wrong and i shouldnt be. the engine has been great. the ride is fun although the seats are uncomfortable. have been able to get good gas mileage 31 - 38 and thats what keeps me in it. if I had to do it over I wouldnt. if you're looking at saab used be careful

Happy camper in Wisconsin
By sdettmann on 03/24/11 21:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased used (off lease) late in 2008 when Saab looked like it might not survive. Great buy. Car had been very well cared for, and dealer was able to provide a complete service record. Car is solidly built and remarkably quiet with the top up. While no sports car, it is quite peppy and fun to drive. Some turbo lag, so it is important to keep the RPM's up around 3000 if you want to go fast. Comfortable interior in the front. I am 6'2" and have plenty of room above my head, even with the seat elevated to its highest position. You can put adults in the back seat, if they have no feet or legs (good for children in car seats though.) Have driven the car 30,000 in two years, with no problem

Great car
By mplieber on 01/21/11 05:53 AM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-3 Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2004 Saab 9-3 convertible has been wonderful. Fun to drive, with an amazing acceleration on a 4-cylinder turbo engine. When going out with the family, we use the back seats which seat adults comfortably, although a bit cramped, but this beats a 2-seater any day. Reliability has been good, and the car has been well maintained. Only complaint is occasional problems with the electrical system: windows, convertible top, radio, ignition. None has been fatal but I have experienced 2 incidents where car would not start. Note: I have the automatic, not manual, model.

Electrical issues
By tonyb on 09/03/10 08:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Aero 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall, I love the car, but problems with electrical. Latest is left blinker won't go off. 1100 at the dealer to fix.

80% Fun, 20% Headache
By Marshall H on 05/20/10 14:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Excellence: Good looks without being flashy. Superb power delivery, very smooth for a small displacement turbo. So quiet inside you forget its a convertible, comfy seats. Acceptable: "premium" sound system is mediocre at best. Tires break free pretty easily when accelerating from a stop into a turn, but with FWD kind of expected. Unacceptable: Spotty build quality results in buttons and interior surface's paint rubbing off. Electrical gremlins are a constant threat. Complexity of common tasks like resetting oil life monitor is way more difficult than it has to be. Saab-ness: Saab is often different just for difference sake. Like the "night panel" function.

DRIVER SIDE MIRROR EXPLODED
By JenniferJimenez on 04/24/10 22:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Arc 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was driving vehicle hit bump and turned black. Left brake light indactor states is inop. But brake light operates.

Still Love it After All These Years....
By Still Love It on 03/25/10 17:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Versatile, luxurious, and quick. I drive this car for business--bringing clients along, making long trips, etc. and it's a comfortable and faithful performer. Given the choice between a 1 hour flight and a four hour drive, I drive. Great on the highway, quiet, powerful and safe. Oddly, I also use it to haul things. The roof rack goes on and off in minutes and can hold 220 pounds: that's a few sheets of plywood, or enough 2x4s to stud a new playroom for my kids. I also installed the towing hitch (myself) and occasionally hook up a trailer to gather/move antiques and such. And there's room for actual adults in the back seat for trips up to an hour. What more could I ask for?