2003 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
My Saab has been a great purchase
By Harmiclir on 03/31/09 15:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had a few minor problems in the first year but since then, nothing. Granted, it's a fairly low-mileage car but it rides well and has been reliable. I still get compliments on the way it looks. I have no idea how the problems with GM cutting Saab free will play out or affect future value but so I'm glad I bought the car and have never understood the concerns raised by many old-time Saab-snobs.

Quick, Comfortable & Reliable
By jimb on 03/25/09 07:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am very pleased with the combination of power and fuel economy the Saab 9-3 convertible provides with the 2,0 liter turbo-charged engine. My 9-3 is equipped with an automatic transmission and delivers 20 plus mpg city and 28 mpg highway - not bad for a comfortable, powerful and fun to drive convertible. The 9-3 delivers more than adequate acceleration, and plenty of reserve power for merging and passing. Ride & handling are superb, albeit with a bit of cowl flex on less than glass smooth roads. Comfort is fantastic, thanks in part to some of the best seats in the business. Top operation couldn't be easier. Reliability thus far excellent! A very nice automobile.

At 150,000 miles it still drives new!
By Brian in MA on 03/11/09 11:30 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car in late 2005 with 13,000 miles from the dealership. Everybody gives the 2003 a bad wrap because it was new, but the thing is that all the software fixes are in place and it drives great! I like this style compared to the 2008 and newer and will probably search for a low mile 2005 when I sell this. For the meantime I expect to get 250,000 - 300,000 miles out of this car. It does not vibrate and drives new even at 150,000 miles. This car features the pre-GM stereo which gets a bad wrap because of no BASS, however I added an Infiniti Basslink to the system in the trunk (wired to my front door speaker for BASS) and now people who ride in my car says it sounds like a club)

Fun lively ride
By Speedy on 03/01/09 22:36 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have no complaints about car, turbo acceleration is flawless, overtaking is amazing and I have only 2.0t!!! Just overall sexy!! My only problem is airbag light, but I will get that fixed.

Fun and Safe Car
By driver-pilot on 01/14/09 05:27 AM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got a Saab 9-3 Arc used and this car is definitely something different. You have to notice the sloped hood and clean exterior styling, a testament to Saabs new-age design. The interior is pretty roomy, but the paint can scratch off and some parts feel like cheap plastic was used. The CD changer works well as does the radio. This car drives excellently, and using the sport shifter allows you to get some pretty solid acceleration times, with the turbochargers help though! Highway performance is EXCELLENT, and the car handles exceptionally especially when the ESP control is on. We even took it up to the mountains and it handles excellently even with front wheel drive.

Guess I've been lucky
By kjsouth725 on 12/23/08 07:19 AM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned this car for 5 years and it's the most comfortable car I've ever driven. And everyone loves how it looks. The biggest negative is the cost of repair. I haven't had many (knock on wood) but those that I've had are expensive. Then again, it's less expensive to than an Audi or BMW. Second big complain is that the wheels are held on my bolts, not lugs. All five need to be at proper torque for the wheel to balance. Also, the wheel hub and bolt are softer metal, so I've already had to re-tap one wheel twice due to electric wrench happy mechanics.

Terrible Car
By Chad Schwartz on 12/02/08 15:01 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We purchased our 9-3 from a private seller with about a year and 11,000 miles left on the factory warranty. We quickly began to get use of the factory warranty and have already gotten nearly $2,000 of use off an extended warranty we purchased. This is, by far, the most un-reliable car I have ever owned. The electronics donít reliably work (Saab consistently updates the program which amounts to a patch before the next issue), the CDs get stuck in the changer, there are countless rattles/squeaks, broken plastic junk on the interior, failed A/C Comp., failed alternator and now the check engine light is on. The small 4 cylinder lacks torque and the car handles (bad) much like a family sedan.

Bad Decision
By Mike29 on 11/25/08 15:50 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After I purchased my 9-3 I have had nothing but problems with it. I have had to replace the tires twice in 2 years. I only drive it 7500-8000 mi a year. I have had a check engine light come on several times which three Saab dealers can't come to a conclusion on. I have had my power steering shut off while driving with my young sons in the back seat. Other than the MPG and turbo this car is not a good decision to purchase. I WILL NOT be looking at purchasing another Saab anytime soon!

Worst Car Ever Owned
By cdukes1984 on 11/22/08 08:01 AM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Vector 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Please don't buy one of these cars!! It looks great and performs like a Saab should but something is always broken. Transmission and radiator went out @ 43k and now the check engine light is on @ 46k ($900 repair). I worry about if I will make it to work everyday.

Fun, Fast & Comfortable Swedish Style!
By jimb on 11/20/08 10:02 AM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible is a very reliable, comfortable, well-built automobile. Power from the turbo-charged 2.0 liter 4 is outstanding, as is the gas mileage - 20 mpg city, 28 highway. The seats are superb - I've driven 10 hours non-stop in complete comfort. The 9-3 handles well and provides a smooth, quiet ride. The power top operates without a hitch, and driving with the top down is a great experience. I love the styling of the Saab inside & out, and the trunk is quite large for a convertible. The rear seat is most suitable for 2 children or smaller adults, as the convertible top does take up some space. Overall I rate the Saab a 9+ out of 10.