2003 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
Objective 2003 Saab convertible review.
By geek on 10/02/09 04:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Quiet (yes a convertible) solid feel, comfortable seats, highly responsive engine, reasonable few blind spots, good MPG. Some odd features but not annoying and something Saab is noted for. The torque steer nonsense you read about is something that average drivers will never notice or care about. This is nice riding and driving car, that was a great purchase. It has all the options that you would expect in a car that sold and sells in this price range. The higher than normal depreciation means you can buy an expensive car for less. The cost of repair is not out of line with any high end car. BTW the trunk is functional for trips, the back seats go down to extend the storage.

Great vehicle!
By Preston on 09/26/09 17:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my car. It has been wonderful and only issues have been its common gnomes in the electrical work/displays (funny at times, annoying at others). Comfort is above par and makes daily long drives bearable. Turbo lag is certainly there, but as soon as it realizes that it's supposed to go, it does so with awesomeness. Plenty of power and fuel economy to boot. Overall, a wonderful car for my first dive into the luxury branded vehicles.

Caught the Swedish Bug
By VW to Saab on 09/11/09 05:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When my daughter needed a car for school, reluctantly I gave her my beloved Jetta and purchased a used Saab 93 convertible. It's now my beloved Saab. Amazing car!! Purchased with 46K miles already on it, the Saab performs beautifully. A heavier car than the Jetta, the steering is only slightly less responsive, but you can feel the weight of this car. It's solid. Comfy and sexy! The mileage - near 30 mpg highway. The car has its quirks - a wonky gas gauge and that damn SID that reads like Braille - but these are easy to overlook when you hit that turbo and the car responds without a hiccup. No maintenance woes to date. Amazing since the car was in a flood 4 years ago. So far, fantastic!

Love it!
By Travis Cole on 07/08/09 21:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my Saab used, I've had a couple issues but I still love the car. It has enough get up and go, and to me is just a thrill to drive! The only real problem I've had with the car is on 2 occasions there was a computer issue, the computer wasn't telling the car to shift gears basically. The first time this happened it fixed itself after I restarted the car a few times. The second time I had to have the computer reset at the dealership ($100) and they put in all the updated software. I get tons of compliments on the car, and I get excited to drive it every time I get behind the wheel!

New to Me
By tiki saab on 06/17/09 21:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am a week and a half into owning this car. I bought it in spite of it being a rental for its first year, 10,000 miles per Carfax. I am happy with the purchase, 117k on the car. Mostly in good to above average condition. I had it checked out by an independent shop and it received a clean bill of health. Had an oil change, will run synthetic of course. I am planning on a tune and complete fluid replacement @ the next oil change interval. A lot of juice when I hit the gas, I am well above the posted limit before realizing it.

Never Again
By Dan A. on 06/05/09 04:31 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Where do I begin? My "latest" issue is that although the electrical system is working, the car wont start! The Saab mechanic informs me that it "may" be the started, but maybe not. He can replace it for $700+, but if it's not the problem, I'm out the money! The leather seats are worn out. The fan for the a/c stays on for an extra 15 minutes after I shut off the car. The car rattles way too much. The seals on the back window are coming off. Oh, and the motor for the passenger seat is gone and now starting to go on the drivers side as well. They inform me that the motor is over $700! I can easily say that I will not buy a Saab OR a GM auto ever again. Haven't met many happy Saab owners lately.

Parts on indefinite backorder!!!
By Jules on 05/11/09 20:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had a lot of Saab's and no car has given me as many problems as this one. It was in the shop over 7 times in 1 month alone. Recently the alternator went and then the vacuum pipe and now a $34.00 hose that is on back order Saab Corp. says indefinitely. Thanks to GM the quality of this car and the company has gone down the drain. WATCH OUT!!!

100% Mistake
By Displeased on 05/11/09 13:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car seems to have spent as much time being fixed as being driven. It is now in the shop for oil leaking from a vacuum pump and a broken bolt that was supposed to hold the sway bar in place. Just replaced the blower motor for the heater two days earlier. In the time we've owned it, we must have gone to the dealership at least 20 times. All I can say is if you ever buy a Saab voluntarily, you have just made the worst mistake in your car buying life.

HUGE Mistake
By brian on 05/09/09 13:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Traded my infinity g20 (loved that car) to saab of tampa (only because the miles were getting high). I picked a 2003 9-3 linear with 38,000 miles on it. The price seemed too good to be true. The car looked great... And that's about it!!! To many problems to list, about 2,200 dollars and a year later traded it in for a 2009 xterra. DONE WITH SAAB!!!!!!

Me too - never again!
By Bob O'Keefe on 04/28/09 09:45 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I helped my son purchase a used Saab in January 2007 and with each year the repair costs just keep coming. In September of 2007 the check engine light came on with a total cost of $545 to fix. In February 2008 a new radiator cost $721. In December 2008 it cost $903 for a new window regulator and new blower motor. In April 2009 a tow charge of $105 and an estimated repair cost of $900 to fix after the car simply stopped running on the highway. With the latest fix the total repairs bills are over $3000 in 2 years and 2 months. What a piece of junk!