Used 2003 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews - 378 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

Best car for the Money, If you can fix it yourself
By mrdotkom

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you're not a mechanic you bought the wrong car. If, like myself, you enjoy working on your car and don't mind changing ignition coils on the side of the highway in a hail storm you can get a great value on this car.

I bought this car after the previous owner failed to diagnose the blown ignition cassette. After ~$150 bucks I got a great deal on it. The CEL lights most people are reporting are as a result of non-OE specific spark plugs.

Most people spend too much money at the shop and not enough time learning about proper maintenance and service. This car has never been in the shop since I've owned it and for the next 50k miles I expect it to be somwhere between my garage and the highway

Don't take your car to the shop for every little problem. Most issues can be sorted out in a half hour or so with the help of internet forums. Need some tools or a helping hand? Invite a buddy over and pay him in Pizza and beer. You may even learn a thing or two.

I love this Sport Sedan
By carz240

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After I sold my old car I wanted an improvement. Something with xenon lights, leather, automatic windows and sun roof, and it had to be relatively fast.

After looking for 3 or 4 months I found a 2003 Saab 93 2.0t automatic.
I went over to test drive it that night at the owners house and I instantly wanted it.
I ended up buying it that night, I didnt know much about Saab and if I did I would have bough the Vector/Aero or the Arc.

I wish Saab wasn't in this problem right now, after owning this car for the past 6 months I want to be a Saab guy forever.

Im 20 and I am in love with my Saab,
I have never had any major issues.
Just little things here and there.

I highly reccomend the 93

I have the fully loaded linear, so it has Auto leveling Bi-Xenons Heated leather seats Climate control Auto windows/sun roof 6 disc cd Aux capability, which I installed with tech II many many more

Loveable but complicated!!
By merashad

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love the car for it's design and drivibility. The car responds well if maintained. The complicated portion of the car is its electrial and quirky engine light. One day the car is fine and the next, the electrial system can just quit without warning. No, mishaves to complete shut off. If you are looking to purchase this car you'll need to have on hand about $1500 due to abrupt problems.

I love the design and the performance. Along with that, I love the interior features it offers, not too much and not too little, a happy medium. The exterior body maintained its integrity.

Electrial system (all). Command center, door locks, pwr windows, amp for stereo, check engine light, pwr seats, fan for heat/air, exterior lights (all).

RUN!!!!!
By beth

2003 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

DO NOT buy!, bought mine with 27,000 miles, when the car hit 40,000 it was down hill!, rattling under the hood, cup holder broke, radio dislpay broke, panel behind the drivers seat broke, compressor broke, forget about check engine light, ALWAYS on despite paying hundreds of dollars to replace stupic sensor, last 8 months i;ve shelled out $3000, and as we speak, was towed from work to dealer for not starting, not battery either! ive had it!, when it comes back im driving it onto HONDAS lot and prepared to take a hit. PIECE of crap, DONT DO IT!!!!! unless your rich and have $ to literally to throw away!

none, looks great on the back of a tow truck, and the bottom of a lake.

recall, and never make another one.

Last Saab I'll buy
By Avi8jazz

2003 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Pros: 6 Speed manual gives us 37 mpg on hwy at 75 mph. Trunk is a LOT bigger than it looks from the outside. Fun to drive. Cons: Replacing left headlight takes practice (dealer charges $90). Windows regulator is defective(bad design) $450/window. SAI Check valve $180 needs a biannual check. If it fails, condensation floods the SAI Pump $600 (current issue). Check Eng. light only goes out when the bulb burns out. No AUX input for iPod connectivity (had to buy a third party $75).

6 Speed Manual. Large trunk space. A++ safety rating by highway institute. Cool drink holder.

Drain for SAI to prevent pump failures. Improved Windows regulator design. Dashboard begins to peel. Door handles fade in sunlight. Check engine light is ALWAYS ON! Seat memory has never worked (even after replacements). SAI check valve & pump needs a drain for condensation build up!!!