2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (39 reviews )
My 1st Saab, my 1st convertible!
By Rise on 06/17/06 18:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I got the convertible "bug",and happened to find the Saab accidently on Autotrader. It looked nice in pictures, so I set out to find a "real one" to test drive. I was sick of driving a gas guzzling SUV! I couldn't afford anything new, but that didn't stop me from looking for one I COULD afford. What luck! I found a 2003 about 75 miles from my home, and the rest is history. It is a decent size, responsive, gorgeous vehicle. I'm getting 25 mpg versus about 17 with my old SUV. It's a slick ride to say the least. I just wish I'd bought one sooner. I feel 20 years younger!! The best thing is that it's unique. Not many of these on the road, so you'll get noticed.The 4 cylinder turbo is unreal.

2003 saab 9-3 turbo convertible
By william palmer on 04/08/06 19:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is one of the finest autos I've owned. I've owned mercedes as well as other expensive autos. The fit, and finish is excellent. The performance is superb especially when you realize it's coming from a 2 liter engine.

Great convertible!
By scot on 04/08/06 13:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wow! I received a fantastic deal after this gem sat at my local dealership for six months with no takers. Car turns heads and continues to receive compliments. Driving topless is the best stress-buster in the world. If I'd heeded the reviews in Consumer Reports, I would never have purchased this vehicle, so I'm glad I lived on the edge. I love the unique design and the fact that so few others own this vehicle. Still love it after owning for a year.

A fun to drive convertible
By sandstones on 02/25/06 11:06 AM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Trying to decide whether to buy out my lease, and thought I'd see what others had to say. Overall for me car has been a blast to drive, and have only had a few minor maintenance issues. Think it will age better than new GM based Saabs, but only time will tell.

The Ultimate Tanning Machine
By mbm135 on 02/20/06 10:56 AM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wonderful car, turns heads, powerful, and best of all hardly anyone owns one. I rarely see another Saab Vert. I bought mine used with only 16K miles on it and it is like new. If you want a head turning, fast, unique sports car, this vert is the one for you. Loaded with luxury features and designed for sheer fun.

it's the little things
By tb9er on 07/27/05 11:37 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Move the cup holder! Slight spills and your coffee is now part of your cd player. Speaking of audio components, if a cassette is not part of the system, provide an aux input for the ipod or mp3 played or even better a portable XM radio. Also, improved spearkers would help; perhaps incorporating speakers into the headrests. Try listening to something other than blasting rock (like subtle classical) while moving at 65mph with the top down. Is that Mozart I hear!! Could use a secondary power port. Cruise control cancel should be a "push" not "pull" switch. Seems more intuitive. Light, window, lock and roof switches on console should be illuminated. That said, I love the car.

Still Great at Two Years
By tprettejohn on 03/25/05 12:35 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

No problems with this vehicle at the 2 year mark. This is my second 9-3 convertible, this time in a 5-speed. Gets about 32.5 mpg on the highway on a long trip. Turbo engine has great power for 2.0L 4 cyl. Front seats very comfortable.

Keep the top down
By mwgallant on 01/31/05 16:01 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I pored over internet resources to search for a four seat convertible that would handle my family of four and New England winters. I upgraded from a Chrysler Sebring and haven't looked back. I traveld 100 miles by train just to pick up a rare Merlot color with only 8800 miles on it. Way better than the Chrysler even with 2 less cylinders! Put the 9-3 into Sport mode and get ready for some G's. Real smooth ride with very little rattles. I have used the traction control to get out of many slippery situations. Combine it with Winter mode and you rarely get stuck. Purchased a 6 disc changer for the trunk on eBay at half the cost and had it dealer installed. Love to drive it topless!!

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible
By SMann on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great car for most local driving and when you want to go out for a "fun" drive. The lack of a center arm rest makes it uncomfortable on a long haul.

Disappointment
By DiAnn on 06/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm a VW convertible owner,until purchasing the 9-3.What a disappointment.I have definitely discovered that the Germans are better engineers than the Swedes.The ride is rough; the air-conditioning is poor and the interior convenience is non- existent.The interior is cramped; options are inconvenient. The cup holder is horrible unless you like hot coffee spilled on your radio controls.The window controls located in the console are right where they can be bumped several times during any ride, a window suddenly going down as you drive.The pick-up of the turbo 4 cyl. is very good and the braking is superior.Other than that,my purchase has been an expensive mi