Used 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (39 reviews )

New to Me
By tiki saab

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am a week and a half into owning this car. I bought it in spite of it being a rental for its first year, 10,000 miles per Carfax. I am happy with the purchase, 117k on the car. Mostly in good to above average condition. I had it checked out by an independent shop and it received a clean bill of health. Had an oil change, will run synthetic of course. I am planning on a tune and complete fluid replacement @ the next oil change interval. A lot of juice when I hit the gas, I am well above the posted limit before realizing it.

Convertible Top. Convertible Top. Convertible Top. Awesome acceleration, my first turbo. Gas mileage.

God awful cup holders, Americans drink coffee in big cups. Armrest, Americans like to rest their arms.

Never Again
By Dan A.

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Where do I begin? My "latest" issue is that although the electrical system is working, the car wont start! The Saab mechanic informs me that it "may" be the started, but maybe not. He can replace it for $700+, but if it's not the problem, I'm out the money! The leather seats are worn out. The fan for the a/c stays on for an extra 15 minutes after I shut off the car. The car rattles way too much. The seals on the back window are coming off. Oh, and the motor for the passenger seat is gone and now starting to go on the drivers side as well. They inform me that the motor is over $700! I can easily say that I will not buy a Saab OR a GM auto ever again. Haven't met many happy Saab owners lately.

At least the people at the service dept. at Parkfield Saab in NJ are very nice. They try to uphold a high standard of service, but are limited as the product stinks. If they pickup any other brands (other than ANY GM brand), I would still buy from them. Can't really say anything good about Saab.

Fix the electrical system, the starter, the seats, the window seals, and put more power into the car.

Quick, Comfortable & Reliable
By jimb

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am very pleased with the combination of power and fuel economy the Saab 9-3 convertible provides with the 2,0 liter turbo-charged engine. My 9-3 is equipped with an automatic transmission and delivers 20 plus mpg city and 28 mpg highway - not bad for a comfortable, powerful and fun to drive convertible. The 9-3 delivers more than adequate acceleration, and plenty of reserve power for merging and passing. Ride & handling are superb, albeit with a bit of cowl flex on less than glass smooth roads. Comfort is fantastic, thanks in part to some of the best seats in the business. Top operation couldn't be easier. Reliability thus far excellent! A very nice automobile.

Seats Top operation Styling Combination of Power & Economy Fun to drive!

Stereo good, but not great. (But that is nit picking)

Fun, Fast & Comfortable Swedish Style!
By jimb

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible is a very reliable, comfortable, well-built automobile. Power from the turbo-charged 2.0 liter 4 is outstanding, as is the gas mileage - 20 mpg city, 28 highway. The seats are superb - I've driven 10 hours non-stop in complete comfort. The 9-3 handles well and provides a smooth, quiet ride. The power top operates without a hitch, and driving with the top down is a great experience. I love the styling of the Saab inside & out, and the trunk is quite large for a convertible. The rear seat is most suitable for 2 children or smaller adults, as the convertible top does take up some space. Overall I rate the Saab a 9+ out of 10.

Comfort, power, ride, handling fuel economy. The fact that it is a convertible. Superb trunk space for a convertible. Weather band on factory stereo is a plus.

There is a bit of cowl shake due to the fact that it is a convertible, but it is not as pronounced as in some other convertibles. The stereo provides good sound quality, but could be better especially in a vehicle that stickered for nearly $43k. Overall a superb vehicle though.

2003 Saab SE Convertible
By gggcag

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We recently purchased a used 2003 Saab SE convertible with 25,000 miles on it. We wanted a convertible for summer fun and this vehicle certainly fills the bill! It has outstanding performance and is a thrill to drive. We live in the mid-west and promptly took it on a trip down south to take advantage of the warm weather and driving with the top down. Very little wind noise for a convertible and averaged 31 MPG! What more could you ask for?

Performance, MPG, great looks, ease of lowering and raising the top.

Useless cup holders.