2003 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
RUN!!!!!
By beth on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

DO NOT buy!, bought mine with 27,000 miles, when the car hit 40,000 it was down hill!, rattling under the hood, cup holder broke, radio dislpay broke, panel behind the drivers seat broke, compressor broke, forget about check engine light, ALWAYS on despite paying hundreds of dollars to replace stupic sensor, last 8 months i;ve shelled out $3000, and as we speak, was towed from work to dealer for not starting, not battery either! ive had it!, when it comes back im driving it onto HONDAS lot and prepared to take a hit. PIECE of crap, DONT DO IT!!!!! unless your rich and have $ to literally to throw away!

Last Saab I'll buy
By Avi8jazz on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Pros: 6 Speed manual gives us 37 mpg on hwy at 75 mph. Trunk is a LOT bigger than it looks from the outside. Fun to drive. Cons: Replacing left headlight takes practice (dealer charges $90). Windows regulator is defective(bad design) $450/window. SAI Check valve $180 needs a biannual check. If it fails, condensation floods the SAI Pump $600 (current issue). Check Eng. light only goes out when the bulb burns out. No AUX input for iPod connectivity (had to buy a third party $75).

Holding On to Rattlebox Junk
By KnottingMooF on 08/25/10 13:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I only wish I had the foresight to read review sites such as this before making the worst car purchase in my auto-owning history. I won't reiterate what everyone else has said about electrical, rattle, peeling dash and overall gremlin nightmare about this car. GM has replaced the engine three times under extended warranty. Because of the new engine and all the time and money I've put into this car, I'm holding on until my warranty runs out and the car dies on the side of the road. It's very interesting to see all the high reliability marks if you scroll back to 2003 when the car first hit the road. Except for one person who had high mileage early on. Everyone else scores it a 1!

No more Europe for me!
By Slappy on 05/31/10 17:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought this car used in September of 2009 w/ 85K miles, now has 94K (just traded it in). Had to replace all 4 rotors and sets of pads, crankshaft positioning sensor (twice), oil pressure sensor, and the head gasket was blown, this was all after the place I bought it from said it was in tip-top condition. Strut mounts were noisy (known issue), headlights were too dim, vehicle rode like a tank, gas mileage only around 21 - 23 mpg HIGHWAY. I owned this vehicle less than a year. After this and my Audi, I will never buy another European vehicle.

Think Twice
By EuroCarDriver on 03/02/10 21:23 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this vehicle with 95k and it was a one owner vehicle that was dealer serviced, so thought it would be a good buy. Have had a Saab in the past ('92 900 turbo) which was a great vehicle. This '03 model, not so much. Day 3, engine light came on. Something to do with emissions. The grill has even fallen out driving down the road. Twice! There's been other issues too. Right now the water pump is out. I got tired of the car and it's been sitting for a year now. GM ruined what was once a great vehicle. Hopefully Saab will go back to it's former glory now that GM is out of the picture.

lovely car
By sweatheart on 01/14/10 22:17 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Ive had the Saab 9-3 4 door linear sedan for almost two weeks now i absolutely love it! Its very fun to drive. Stick shift is smooth. The only thing wrong is my emergency brake gets kind of stuck when trying to take it off. The car is very clean inside and out. Trunk size is good its pretty big for a sedan.

2003 Saab 93
By sideorder on 01/02/10 17:02 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The engine has performed very well. All electronics and interior design has failed often. Engine Check light due to Gas Cap design triggers often. Traction control fails on and off again. Drivers window came off track. Side mirror adjustments needed replacement. Water Leak issues from Pollen filter design, door leaks due to poor rubber seal and interior door seal. It goes on but this should be enough. Car noise is non stop. Something always rattling.

I've owned four Saabs...
By rsg4 on 11/29/09 13:22 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased a used 2003 9-3 Saab a few years ago. This was my fourth Saab. It was still under warranty. This model is a far cry from the old Saab. I too, have had issues with lights, engine light on, heat/cooler blower...just to name a few. Even the 6 CD gave me issues. I had the CD into the local dealer several times -- of course, never acted up while at the dealer. Finally (200 miles out of warranty) it acted up -- and they were refusing to honor the warranty!! Gave me a price of $2000 to fix. I was on the phone quite a bit with Saab, when they finally agreed to fix it. Funny thing, the dealer only fixed $1100 of the $2000 -- said the other didn't need fixing!

Oh my!!!
By Gobsmacked on 10/30/09 05:28 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Vector 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fine apart from: £5000.00 New Auto Gearbox £0090.00 New Front Coil Springs £0130.00 Diesel Fuel Pump £0200.00 Alternator £0500.00 Tyers, 3 developed punctures (1 two days after we bought the car) £0100.00+ on Bulbs (all changed, Brake Lights changed monthly) £1000.00 For Service. The final straw came, when the car would not accelerate past 50 mph, later traced to the Particulate Filter. This would have cost us another £2000. At this point it was goodbye to SAAB... at least they cleaned the car each time it went in to be fixed, yes... you guessed it... the cleanest car in history!

Never Again
By Steve on 10/14/09 11:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car brand new in '03. Decided on this instead of the BMW 330 Convertible because of price and the BMWs are everywhere. What a mistake! While fun to drive, it has been a maintenance nightmare compared to any other car I've ever driven. Fuel pump failure (huh?) at 56K, CLUTCH at 70K, A/C compressor at 48K, wheel bearing at 80K, Ignitor Coil at 80K. Compare to my '86 325: original clutch at 150K; my '83 Tercel: original clutch at 150K. I work with a guy that has an '02 9-5 - same problems. No wonder the resale value of Saabs stinks. Stay away from Saab!