Used 2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

Why the bad Reputation?
By aemadian

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is fun to drive and has a great powerful engine. You always have the confidence to take on any car on the road and get ahead fast. Great MPG too even-though it is a turbo car. I have never had any engine and transmission problems with my car. I have only changed the oil when service warning comes on. Handling is great too, almost like a BMW but front wheel drive characteristics. Radio went bad once because a really smart person jumped the battery and fried the amp. You take care of it, it takes care of you. It's just false word of mouth that gave this car bad rep.

Turbo engine has a lot of power and torque.

For none AERO models, suspension is way too tight and harsh for everyday driving.

Honest Review
By leviphx

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used with 63k miles on it and haven't regretted it a day since. Knowing the history of these cars however, I made sure I had an independent mechanic familiar with the brand take a look at it before I made an offer (easily worth the $150 dollars). I don't want to put anyone down, but I believe that at least half of the poor reviews this car gets are due to A) Poor maintenance by/no knowledge of previous ownership, or B) Poor maintenance by current owner. Love this car and it will love you back, simple as that. And don't buy a performance (or any other) car without a thorough inspection. Tho people I suppose have been burned by a bad car regardless of their caution I guess

Solid design, intimacy of manual transmission and road feel, style, options (a 2003 with rain sensing wipers, backup assistance, automatic climate control, onstar and more??), wheels (17" 5 spoke), overall driveability.

Paint chips off the seek and blower fan buttons on the dash, seems like a common problem. Really can't complain about anything else and that should tell you something.

first sight fell in love, still loving strong
By whasaab

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Vector 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

At first, I was very hesitant about buying this car because I read many unsatisfying reviews on Saab. However, bought 2003 9-3 vector in Feb 2013 under 6k, looked new inside and out, one owner and no accident. Checked with Saab if the car had any mechanical service done. All the recalls had been taken care of and no other mechanical issues. After 8 months putting over 10k still feels like a new car. But make sure you use premium gas and full synthetic oil. Not using premium grade gas will give you check engine light. But don't panic, it will go away if you put premium. My $6k saab looks better and runs better than brand new camrys or accords .. love this car.

6 speeds manual with 210 hp. Great mileage. Average of 30-31(mixed). Interior and exterior design of the car. seat comfort. Night driving mode. It's lighter than Nissan Altima but feels sturdy when driving.

Headlight is too dim.

200,000 and going strong
By thartz

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 2nd Saab and it's just as bullet proof as the first. I picked this ARC with the 6 speed manual because of the motor. They are amazing. I average 27 mpg and 31-33 on the highway. I got the car with 92k on it because I was so comfortable with the drive train and it's not disappointed. I'm just below 200k now and put on over 700 miles this weekend. Sure there are little issues but it's 10 model years old and I paid under $7,000 for it 5 years ago so i can't possibly complain. The rear main seal has a slow leak that the gasket sealers can't quite stop. The gas cap doesn't seal properly so the check engine light is on but all in all, it's been great.

Motor, fuel economy, handling

A little too much plastic on the interior.

188000
By dbrooks22

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Electrical quirks aside, this car is pretty amazing. I don't think there is a better value for the money. The WORST mpg i have gotten over the past 6 months is 32.5. Best was 36.7. Great handling, leather looks new. Engine is a peach. In 5yrs when i'm done with this one, I fully intend to get the 2008 9-3.

MPG. 2.0T Engine is a gem.

Too late to suggest improvements.