2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
Honest Review
By leviphx on 06/20/14 11:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used with 63k miles on it and haven't regretted it a day since. Knowing the history of these cars however, I made sure I had an independent mechanic familiar with the brand take a look at it before I made an offer (easily worth the $150 dollars). I don't want to put anyone down, but I believe that at least half of the poor reviews this car gets are due to A) Poor maintenance by/no knowledge of previous ownership, or B) Poor maintenance by current owner. Love this car and it will love you back, simple as that. And don't buy a performance (or any other) car without a thorough inspection. Tho people I suppose have been burned by a bad car regardless of their caution I guess

first sight fell in love, still loving strong
By whasaab on 09/22/13 11:27 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Vector 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

At first, I was very hesitant about buying this car because I read many unsatisfying reviews on Saab. However, bought 2003 9-3 vector in Feb 2013 under 6k, looked new inside and out, one owner and no accident. Checked with Saab if the car had any mechanical service done. All the recalls had been taken care of and no other mechanical issues. After 8 months putting over 10k still feels like a new car. But make sure you use premium gas and full synthetic oil. Not using premium grade gas will give you check engine light. But don't panic, it will go away if you put premium. My $6k saab looks better and runs better than brand new camrys or accords .. love this car.

200,000 and going strong
By thartz on 07/29/13 08:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 2nd Saab and it's just as bullet proof as the first. I picked this ARC with the 6 speed manual because of the motor. They are amazing. I average 27 mpg and 31-33 on the highway. I got the car with 92k on it because I was so comfortable with the drive train and it's not disappointed. I'm just below 200k now and put on over 700 miles this weekend. Sure there are little issues but it's 10 model years old and I paid under $7,000 for it 5 years ago so i can't possibly complain. The rear main seal has a slow leak that the gasket sealers can't quite stop. The gas cap doesn't seal properly so the check engine light is on but all in all, it's been great.

188000
By dbrooks22 on 05/08/13 14:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Electrical quirks aside, this car is pretty amazing. I don't think there is a better value for the money. The WORST mpg i have gotten over the past 6 months is 32.5. Best was 36.7. Great handling, leather looks new. Engine is a peach. In 5yrs when i'm done with this one, I fully intend to get the 2008 9-3.

Great first car
By dipper94 on 05/07/13 16:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

It's a blast to drive. I highly recommend it, however a few words of caution. You're going to have some problems with the electric lock system, but other than that it will perform really well. It's incredibly safe and incredibly reliable. Before you get behind the wheel of this car though, make sure you understand how a turbocharger works and how to mantain one. More importantly know how to drive a car equipped with one, they drive differently than naturally aspirated cars (Cars without turbochargers or superchargers). It's a great first car for your teen. It's my first car, go it used for 5.5 grand with 50k miles on it. It's driven me reliably for the past year. It also looks great.

Great VALUE
By drfabulous on 02/22/13 13:07 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Still love this car, even after 130k miles. Looks and drives like it did back in 2005, easy on gas (average high 20's), and has NEVER had a major issue. Like others have said, it's a car that is unique and requires a little more work to repair, but if you're handy and willing to do research, it's simple. Case in point- fixed my power steering leak for $10 in under an hour with nothing but common hand tools when a shop wanted $600, and I'm by no means a mechanic. Bottom line- its fun to drive, good gas mileage, nice enough to drive to meet with clients, and people always look at it going "I've never been in a SAAB".

Best car for the Money, If you can fix it yourself
By mrdotkom on 02/08/13 21:25 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you're not a mechanic you bought the wrong car. If, like myself, you enjoy working on your car and don't mind changing ignition coils on the side of the highway in a hail storm you can get a great value on this car. I bought this car after the previous owner failed to diagnose the blown ignition cassette. After ~$150 bucks I got a great deal on it. The CEL lights most people are reporting are as a result of non-OE specific spark plugs. Most people spend too much money at the shop and not enough time learning about proper maintenance and service. This car has never been in the shop since I've owned it and for the next 50k miles I expect it to be somwhere between my garage and the highway

I love this Sport Sedan
By carz240 on 01/18/12 21:07 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After I sold my old car I wanted an improvement. Something with xenon lights, leather, automatic windows and sun roof, and it had to be relatively fast. After looking for 3 or 4 months I found a 2003 Saab 93 2.0t automatic. I went over to test drive it that night at the owners house and I instantly wanted it. I ended up buying it that night, I didnt know much about Saab and if I did I would have bough the Vector/Aero or the Arc. I wish Saab wasn't in this problem right now, after owning this car for the past 6 months I want to be a Saab guy forever. Im 20 and I am in love with my Saab, I have never had any major issues. Just little things here and there. I highly reccomend the 93

Loveable but complicated!!
By merashad on 06/14/11 07:12 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Linear 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love the car for it's design and drivibility. The car responds well if maintained. The complicated portion of the car is its electrial and quirky engine light. One day the car is fine and the next, the electrial system can just quit without warning. No, mishaves to complete shut off. If you are looking to purchase this car you'll need to have on hand about $1500 due to abrupt problems.

Last Saab I'll buy
By Avi8jazz on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-3 Sedan Arc 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Pros: 6 Speed manual gives us 37 mpg on hwy at 75 mph. Trunk is a LOT bigger than it looks from the outside. Fun to drive. Cons: Replacing left headlight takes practice (dealer charges $90). Windows regulator is defective(bad design) $450/window. SAI Check valve $180 needs a biannual check. If it fails, condensation floods the SAI Pump $600 (current issue). Check Eng. light only goes out when the bulb burns out. No AUX input for iPod connectivity (had to buy a third party $75).