2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
Viggen, a classic sleeper car
By VIGGEN LOVER on 04/29/10 16:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Viggen 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Amazing car. Engineered like no other. Find a good honest mechanic and you will be fine. Avoid GM like the plague. Use resources for parts and advice and learn to turn a wrench. In no time you will know more about your car than the harried GM mechanics who mistake it for a Sunfire. A few mods and PRESTO! you have a 400 hp fire breathing monster. In my experience, this is an incredibly well thought out car which is engineered like no other.

I feel the need--The need for speed
By telrod on 04/20/08 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Viggen 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had Porsches, Bmw's, et al, ad nauseum but this is the first manual I've had that I need to check the tach to see what gear I'm in. It's that quiet and that smooth. When I first bought it I'd be going along the freeway at 60 and notice that the tach was at 5000 and I was in 2nd gear. The gears are VERY long in this car. The Viggen driver's seat is the best, most comfortable seat anywhere including Buster chairs and couches at home. I've gotten used to the torque steer which adds a quirky challenge to stay earthbound. It reminds me of the fishtailing 1980's Porsches I've had, about which the reviewers used to say, "Fishtailing off a cliff is part of the 911's charm"

Bring the Viggen Back !!
By Vanmark on 06/19/05 22:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Viggen 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Hi Everyone, This review is dedicated to SAAB (GM), This car was a marvelous achievement especially with a 4 cylinder engine generating so much power, great fuel economy and low emissions. The bottom line is SAAB's turbo engines rule. It dont matter how you cut it !! and by the way I love the exterior styling with the hatch back, its SAAB's unique finger-print and its highly functional, its a sports car, its almost a station wagon its great for a family and it cranks 230 bhp from a 4 cylinder engine that can easily be tuned to produce 300 bhp.

VIGGEN!
By Champ on 01/19/05 08:46 AM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Viggen 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Viggen has been a great car. Great performance all while obtaining great gas mileage. Front seats are a dream to sit in. In all climate areas, make sure to put the Continental Extremes on this car. This tire is great in snow, water and still is 'Z' rated for performance. This car is highly recommended. This car was built in the same plant as the Porsche Boxter.

all around awesome
By lerxst on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Viggen 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought w/200 miles on it. Fun to drive, amazing acceleration, 30 mpg on highway, to me it looks sharp and has very nice classy lines, one of the most unique cars, costs less than cars that people think are 'better/faster'. The only sub-par facet of this car was the suspension. i paid 300$ or so for braces etc. and installed myself, so now the suspension is great, and for cheap money!!! oh yeah, it carries a lot of stuff and people, and i have only seen 5-6 other viggens and i am on the road a lot. it has been problem -free and i am always excited to driver her.

I give up
By 2-years Saab owner on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Viggen 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car definately falls short in its structural regidity (convertible only). Therefore, you are bounced all over the place on bumpy roads - honestly I feel more comfortable riding my skies on bumps than the Saab convertible. Also the general interior setting becomes enoying very quickly. There is no cetral lock, and the romote car key only works from about three (3) feet of the car - funny you would find many of us Saab owners sticking the key to our chin to make the door open or lock from ten twenty feet of the car. Having said all of this, I am going to sell this car this spring and by another German or even a Japanese car.

Watch out for the police
By khodam on 03/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Viggen 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Saab Viggen rquires a lot more agressive driving than BMS 3 series (use to own a couple). The car performance and handling substantially inproves at higher speeds and RPM. The ride feels not as comfortable at "Lexus" type driving. Don't waste your money on this car if you are a timid driver. Otherwise welcome aboard the SAAB VIGGEN.

LOTS OF FUN
By DAVIDR on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Viggen 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

THIS CAR IS JUST PLAIN FUN TO DRIVE. LOTS OF POWER FROM THE 230 HP TURBO. IF YOU'RE LIKE ME, THEN YOU LOOK FOR UNUSUAL STYLING IN AN AUTO. NOT TOO MANY ON THESE ARE AROUND. I JUST LIKE TO BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN THE OTHER GUY ON THE ROAD. TOP NOTCH SPORT LEATHER SEATS AND INTERIOR. TORQUE STEER TAKES SOME GETTING USED TO. THIS CAR CAN GET OUT FROM UNDER YOU, ESPECIALLY IN 3RD AND 4TH GEAR

Viggen
By From BMW to SAAB on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Viggen 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my forst SAAB after driving several BMW's (All 3 series). The viggen shows a far better built an finish than the BMW. Viggen however, is not as tamed as the BMW. It requires driver attention. This car can deliver a lots of performance - but make sure that your driving is also up to the task. +

Viggen Convertible
By FAB on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Viggen 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For those looking for a "true" sport convertible with a real backseat, the Viggen should most definately be considered. The car is fast, well made, with very good space and fuel efficient to boot. I live in New England which is Saab territory, but Viggens are rarely seen on roads (I like that)Very much a 4season convertible(though,watch out for bad weather given the fat tires) & still fun to drive with top up. Also did the Flight School which was a total blast. I got a very good deal, which made my decision easy when combined with attributes of Viggen vs. competitiors (BMW, Volvo, MERC, US).