2002 Saab 9-3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
The best used car you can get for your money.
By zidjan on 03/26/14 11:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I started with saab 10 years ago, bought the 1999 model but has tons of issue. Sold it cheap and I ended up with the 2002 model se at 80K miles. Nowthe car has 120K and had no problems at all. It's all been fun with this car...205 hp and gets 30mpg hwy miles driving 65-70 mph. So my conclusion to new buyer out there, research the history of the car, if the car has always used synthetic oil and been taken care of well, chances are you'll have a good reliable car...but if anything points out that this car has not been care well then buyer's beware. NEVER Buy this car if you are going to treat it like a Honda or Toyota. You'll reap what you sow.

**CAR IS A SOUR LEMON**
By shay127 on 03/06/12 06:49 AM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my '02 Saab 9-3 used and right out the car lot, it was problem after problem. It started with having to get the front right wheel bearing fixed, then the right headlight went out twice, shortly after I had to get the heating coil fixed (cold air blowing), then the air stopped working. Car stopped 3 months later on the expressway (found out I needed another fuel pump) got it fixed, 3 months later, I had to replace the Starter, left wheel bearing, control arm & ball joints on drivers side, CV Shaft, Spring Coil Sensor for Check Engine light, Brake Pads & Rotors, but the biggest problem is a Starting Issue. The car will randomly NOT start for about 15 minutes. No one knows why:(

9-3 turbo hatch, irresistible
By baxter10 on 12/27/10 17:00 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had one of these for 4 years. Bought it at 45k miles when it was 4 years old. It had all the reliability issues everyone talks about, including the sump oil problem. It was totaled last month when someone hit it while it was parked. I looked at other cars, and ended up buying the exact same car again (except stick instead of auto), now at 80k miles. They're as spacious as a small wagon, very quick and great handling, heated leather seats, premium sound, climate control, sunroof, power everything, 30+ mpg, and the style of a classic suit from a vintage store. All for under $6,000. Irresistible.

Design Perfection - Handles like new
By SaabMe on 01/03/10 14:01 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just purchased a mint condition used 2002 9-3SE. This is an amazing car. While it is small and handles nimbly it has generous room for 4 plus the huge hatch area. Mileage so far has been mid-30s mpg. Amazing that they could build a fast and efficient car 8 years ago. At 205 hp this car has as almost the same power as my 2001 Boxster.

Steel Gray Hunchback
By robg3176 on 11/05/09 14:28 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife called it a hunchback, so it is my Steel Gray Hunchback. Was looking around for another car actually, and test drove it, didn't feel right, and the one I wanted was sold. But I saw this one, and it had tint and a built in alarm. I was looking for utility, such as a hatchback to lug things around. 4 doors too. I also required better gas mileage since gas prices were sky rocketing. Also, power with torque to go up hills and turns. Alas, I test drove this 2002 Saab 9-3 SE: has leather seats, and more power than normal. It is a 4cylinder turbo auto, more economical than a 6cyl, with just as much power because of the turbo. Driving it ever since and my wife and I love it.

Saab is my favorite
By Zacharyzoosh on 06/13/09 19:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned about 4 9-3s, as I move a lot, and will sell my car before every move. I always buy these. They are one hundred percent reliable for me, and they're fast. Also, I drove my most recent 2002 9-3 from WA to ID and back, and I got 35mpg on the highway for real, no joke!!! So I think they should change the average fuel economy on here. You only get 25 mpg (lowest I've seen) when you're driving in city, using the turbo all day. I give this car an over all 9 out of 10. The only brand I like better then Saab is Lexus!

Fun car with lots of storage
By BMV on 01/05/09 15:26 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned this Saab for 2 and a half years. Purchased it used with 58k miles. It will reach 90k soon. Very fun to drive. Turbo lag is minimal. Feels taut at high speeds, nice steering feedback. But wait, this is a family car. The trunk is huge for strollers, golf clubs and oversized stuffed animals from the in-laws. Pulled the hatch cover off recently and packed it to the window for a week long trip to the mountains. It is a quirky Euro car though. Strange issues like Purge Valve throwing CEL codes, bad crank position sensor stranding my wife when the engine compartment got hot (would not start, the fix was to squirt cold water at it). Find yourself a Saab specialist you can trust.

Never Again Will I Buy a Saab!
By vonkruize on 09/13/08 20:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My car has only 54,000 miles and the engine is shot. It fell victim to the "Saab oil sludge problem" that so many other 9-3's and 9-5's from this era have succumbed to (Google "Saab oil sludge" and read all about it). Long story short, Saab admitted the oil sludge accumulation is due to an engine defect, NOT consumer negligence, and they "extended coverage" on '99-'03 9-3's and 9-5's. What they don't tell you is that you're not eligible for coverage unless you can produce oil change receipts for the entire life of the car. So for those, like myself, who bought their car used, you're essentially fresh out of luck. It's either pony up $6000 for a new engine or scrap it for parts.

So much potential but alas !!
By Dave on 08/05/08 12:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2002 9-3 SE auto hatch with 125K. Loads of power in a practical package - especially in Sport mode. Best driver's seat ever! Would be a keeper but for constant repairs (antenna mast; squeaky brakes; center exhaust pipe; shocks; CPS; alternator; etc etc) and premium gas! Thank goodness the new engine cassette was a recall! Too bad, I guess they were right when they said SAAB stands for Swedish Auto Always Broken. 2009 Mazda 6 or Accord will take the 9-3's place in the garage. Sushi for herring I guess.

Disappointed
By Marianne on 03/31/08 13:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this used w/only 32K (one owner vehicle myself being second) since I have had this vehicle I have had new brakes and rotors cut, fuel pump fixed, transmission flushed(that was at 50 k miles). This tops it all, I woke up at 1:30 am saw strange lights coming from my driveway to discover the hazards were flashing. I tried everything and could not shut them off, looked for fuses etc.. had to take it to a SAAB recommended mechanic near my home and his comments the SAAB is the worst car for the money and be prepared to continually pay for repairs... the repair cost was unbelievable. The problem electrical and the computer board....