Used 2002 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Saab 9-3

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

A Fantastic Saab
By dcross15

2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Words cant describe how much I love this car. It is a classic high performance Saab, and anyone who's driven one knows how special they are. It is a true sleeper. There is nothing better then blowing away a GT Mustang in an old Saab. The interior is classic Saab, very comfortable. It's a future classic for sure. The Saab front wheel drive limits it in corners compared to an M3, but its still very capable, and you'll have no problem catching them on the straights. Very reliable too, just look out for vacuum leaks. The fact that it is electronically limited to 155 shows just how performance oriented this thing is. Just watch out for that torque steer in 1st gear.

Favorite Features

The power, its mind blowing. The seats and interior. The classic Saab look.

The best used car you can get for your money.
By zidjan

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I started with saab 10 years ago, bought the 1999 model but has tons of issue. Sold it cheap and I ended up with the 2002 model se at 80K miles. Nowthe car has 120K and had no problems at all. It's all been fun with this car...205 hp and gets 30mpg hwy miles driving 65-70 mph. So my conclusion to new buyer out there, research the history of the car, if the car has always used synthetic oil and been taken care of well, chances are you'll have a good reliable car...but if anything points out that this car has not been care well then buyer's beware. NEVER Buy this car if you are going to treat it like a Honda or Toyota. You'll reap what you sow.

Favorite Features

The Td-04 Turbo puts a lot of smiles and "FUN: in driving. Cavenous trunk space. Easy to learn to maintain (DIY)...never take it to a dealership. Tons of used/aftermarket parts. Easy to Mod. 25 city and 30 hwy. "Exclusive" you don't see a lot of this car on the road anymore. Turns head for cheap. Gets a lot of compliments from women.

Suggested Improvements

THIS IS A MUST: PCV Update #6. This will helps a lot to prevent the sludge issue. Have a "Spare" DIC on hand because they will fail at 100K or less, watch for misfire ($250) Spend $200 for steering brace bracket to tame the torque steer. Spend $200 for chip upgrade 229hp 240 lbs torque. if you have the money, spend $1000 for Bilstein suspension upgrade. You do this, you'll keep the car forever.

**CAR IS A SOUR LEMON**
By shay127

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my '02 Saab 9-3 used and right out the car lot, it was problem after problem. It started with having to get the front right wheel bearing fixed, then the right headlight went out twice, shortly after I had to get the heating coil fixed (cold air blowing), then the air stopped working. Car stopped 3 months later on the expressway (found out I needed another fuel pump) got it fixed, 3 months later, I had to replace the Starter, left wheel bearing, control arm & ball joints on drivers side, CV Shaft, Spring Coil Sensor for Check Engine light, Brake Pads & Rotors, but the biggest problem is a Starting Issue. The car will randomly NOT start for about 15 minutes. No one knows why:(

Favorite Features

I am so unhappy with this car, I truly cannot say I like anything. The radio display does not work and from my understanding if a saab dealer doesn't replace it, it's connected to about 10 other electrical parts in the car, and a 3rd party could damage a lot more in the car by fixing the radio.

Suggested Improvements

Everything on this car is horrible. I am very disappointed. That start up issue is a MAJOR problem. There is no reason that I have had everything on the car fixed that could possibly be wrong, but the car won't start. I've been told it may be a faulty security reading on my car, but to have to play russion roullete everytime I get in my car to figure out if it's going to start with my children in town in the cold Chicago weather is embarrassing. I will NEVER purchase, nor will I recommend a Saab to anyone I know.

9-3 turbo hatch, irresistible
By baxter10

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had one of these for 4 years. Bought it at 45k miles when it was 4 years old. It had all the reliability issues everyone talks about, including the sump oil problem. It was totaled last month when someone hit it while it was parked. I looked at other cars, and ended up buying the exact same car again (except stick instead of auto), now at 80k miles. They're as spacious as a small wagon, very quick and great handling, heated leather seats, premium sound, climate control, sunroof, power everything, 30+ mpg, and the style of a classic suit from a vintage store. All for under $6,000. Irresistible.

Favorite Features

Mid-range acceleration, handling, seats, cargo capacity, styling. Look at this way: these cars are the same weight with the same power as a Mk5 VW GTI -- but with more space inside.

Suggested Improvements

The reliability is in fact not that bad (similar to VW/Audi or other European cars), but the parts and labor is more expensive than average. Shorter throws on the manual shifting would be better. AWD option would be good, I guess, but AWD is not as necessary as people think.

Never again
By NO MORE SAABS FOR ME

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car ALWAYS has something wrong with it. You will never stop spending money on repairs.

Favorite Features

The look of the car is really NICE, especially with the top down.

Suggested Improvements

Build a more reliable vehicle.