2002 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
The best used car you can get for your money.
By zidjan on 03/26/14 11:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I started with saab 10 years ago, bought the 1999 model but has tons of issue. Sold it cheap and I ended up with the 2002 model se at 80K miles. Nowthe car has 120K and had no problems at all. It's all been fun with this car...205 hp and gets 30mpg hwy miles driving 65-70 mph. So my conclusion to new buyer out there, research the history of the car, if the car has always used synthetic oil and been taken care of well, chances are you'll have a good reliable car...but if anything points out that this car has not been care well then buyer's beware. NEVER Buy this car if you are going to treat it like a Honda or Toyota. You'll reap what you sow.

**CAR IS A SOUR LEMON**
By shay127 on 03/06/12 06:49 AM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my '02 Saab 9-3 used and right out the car lot, it was problem after problem. It started with having to get the front right wheel bearing fixed, then the right headlight went out twice, shortly after I had to get the heating coil fixed (cold air blowing), then the air stopped working. Car stopped 3 months later on the expressway (found out I needed another fuel pump) got it fixed, 3 months later, I had to replace the Starter, left wheel bearing, control arm & ball joints on drivers side, CV Shaft, Spring Coil Sensor for Check Engine light, Brake Pads & Rotors, but the biggest problem is a Starting Issue. The car will randomly NOT start for about 15 minutes. No one knows why:(

9-3 turbo hatch, irresistible
By baxter10 on 12/27/10 17:00 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had one of these for 4 years. Bought it at 45k miles when it was 4 years old. It had all the reliability issues everyone talks about, including the sump oil problem. It was totaled last month when someone hit it while it was parked. I looked at other cars, and ended up buying the exact same car again (except stick instead of auto), now at 80k miles. They're as spacious as a small wagon, very quick and great handling, heated leather seats, premium sound, climate control, sunroof, power everything, 30+ mpg, and the style of a classic suit from a vintage store. All for under $6,000. Irresistible.

Never again
By NO MORE SAABS FOR ME on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car ALWAYS has something wrong with it. You will never stop spending money on repairs.

Viggen, a classic sleeper car
By VIGGEN LOVER on 04/29/10 16:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Amazing car. Engineered like no other. Find a good honest mechanic and you will be fine. Avoid GM like the plague. Use resources for parts and advice and learn to turn a wrench. In no time you will know more about your car than the harried GM mechanics who mistake it for a Sunfire. A few mods and PRESTO! you have a 400 hp fire breathing monster. In my experience, this is an incredibly well thought out car which is engineered like no other.

Great Convertible
By Andrew on 04/25/10 16:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchaced my SAAB in 2006 with 50000 miles. The car now has 85000 and has had few problems besides routine repairs (front brakes, new battery, tires) the only problem I have had is the digits burning out on the Saab Information Display (SID). I sent the unit away for inexpensive repair and have had no further problems. I change the oil regularly and use synthetic. The car is fun to drive, convertible hood works well. Great engine. Sufficient power from the turbo. The suspension is not as good as the 3 series BMW but on the whole I am very pleasd. The car depreciates rapidly intitially making it a great used car bet.

Design Perfection - Handles like new
By SaabMe on 01/03/10 14:01 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just purchased a mint condition used 2002 9-3SE. This is an amazing car. While it is small and handles nimbly it has generous room for 4 plus the huge hatch area. Mileage so far has been mid-30s mpg. Amazing that they could build a fast and efficient car 8 years ago. At 205 hp this car has as almost the same power as my 2001 Boxster.

Steel Gray Hunchback
By robg3176 on 11/05/09 14:28 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife called it a hunchback, so it is my Steel Gray Hunchback. Was looking around for another car actually, and test drove it, didn't feel right, and the one I wanted was sold. But I saw this one, and it had tint and a built in alarm. I was looking for utility, such as a hatchback to lug things around. 4 doors too. I also required better gas mileage since gas prices were sky rocketing. Also, power with torque to go up hills and turns. Alas, I test drove this 2002 Saab 9-3 SE: has leather seats, and more power than normal. It is a 4cylinder turbo auto, more economical than a 6cyl, with just as much power because of the turbo. Driving it ever since and my wife and I love it.

Saab is my favorite
By Zacharyzoosh on 06/13/09 19:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned about 4 9-3s, as I move a lot, and will sell my car before every move. I always buy these. They are one hundred percent reliable for me, and they're fast. Also, I drove my most recent 2002 9-3 from WA to ID and back, and I got 35mpg on the highway for real, no joke!!! So I think they should change the average fuel economy on here. You only get 25 mpg (lowest I've seen) when you're driving in city, using the turbo all day. I give this car an over all 9 out of 10. The only brand I like better then Saab is Lexus!

Fun car with lots of storage
By BMV on 01/05/09 15:26 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-3 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned this Saab for 2 and a half years. Purchased it used with 58k miles. It will reach 90k soon. Very fun to drive. Turbo lag is minimal. Feels taut at high speeds, nice steering feedback. But wait, this is a family car. The trunk is huge for strollers, golf clubs and oversized stuffed animals from the in-laws. Pulled the hatch cover off recently and packed it to the window for a week long trip to the mountains. It is a quirky Euro car though. Strange issues like Purge Valve throwing CEL codes, bad crank position sensor stranding my wife when the engine compartment got hot (would not start, the fix was to squirt cold water at it). Find yourself a Saab specialist you can trust.