Used 2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

Saabs are great
By dogwood

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had a great experience with this car. I love the way it drives. (I like the manual transmission turbo) The seats are super comfortable (great seat heaters!) and there is tons of interior room for the size of the car. I average 27 MPG. It is easy to park, easy to drive, and has not been anymore expensive to maintain then our toyota. I highly reccommend the Saab 9-3

Seat heaters, moon roof, headlight wipers, hatchback, stick shift, comfy seat design (and I am 6'3) turbo, and cool wheels

The dash mounted cup holder results in spills all over the dash. It is lame.

They were right
By crabby kaiser

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I can't say I wasn't warned. Other Saab owners had suggested that the car would be quirky and that Saab dealers are generally horrible and expensive. They were right !!! The check/engine electronic portion of the car is horrible. The engine is great and the handling is terrific. The biggest knock against this vehicle is trying to get it fixed/serviced. This alone will keep me from buying another Saab period. Fun to drive, great gas milage won't make up for the persistant problems with the direct ignition cassette (now part of a recall) and the terrible service from numerous dealers.

Turbo charged engine is a great performer. Very good, supportive seats. Generally good European build quality. Lots of innovative thinking went into the Saab line.

Happy 2nd Saab driver
By QWK SWD from Md

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

"Smooth" is how my 26 yr. old son describes the drive. Excellent metallic paint, even after 5 yrs. Interior stylish yet reserved, high quality but a bit snug for 4 on board. 31mpg on the highway. Distinctive; you don't get lost among the Japanese nameplates on the road. Well built, very reliable. It doesn't break. An '06 9-5 next?

Quick car w/a 5 speed, especially as the turbo spools up in 2nd and 3rd gears. Power seats allow the perfect driving position. Great cargo space and premium sound system.

Lousy cupholders.

VROOM with ROOM
By goosaab

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Excellent car, VERY stylish. Good handling and comes with enough space to actually be useful. Highly recommend it. The cars looks better than most in its class.

heated seats power moonroof, fun to drive stick shift

cup holder

Problematic but a kick to drive
By Saab Story

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 3rd Saab, which I recently purchased with 79,000 km on it. I love the drive of Saabs but had a 900 lemon in the past and figured it was just bad luck. I wanted to buy a 2001 because I love the cavernous trunk area, which has been replaced by sedan models. Shortly after buying the car I noticed thick grey smoke belching out of the exhaust when I started it. I took it to the dealer and was advised that my turbo was on the way out...price of repair $1,600. I also soon noticed that: my stereo lights don't come on at night, driver's side fog light assembly is broken, antenna works when it wants to and my sunroof frame is prematurely rusting and bubbling. Explains why resale is low

Love the unique styling, seats, headroom, engine response, hatchback space

Ignition between the seats takes some getting used to, Saab dealer admitted that the 9-3 turbo was problematic, electrical goblins still exist as they did in my old 900 model, sunroof frame shouldn't be rusting so badly on a 4 year old car, reliablitly is questionable