Used 2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

They were right
By crabby kaiser

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I can't say I wasn't warned. Other Saab owners had suggested that the car would be quirky and that Saab dealers are generally horrible and expensive. They were right !!! The check/engine electronic portion of the car is horrible. The engine is great and the handling is terrific. The biggest knock against this vehicle is trying to get it fixed/serviced. This alone will keep me from buying another Saab period. Fun to drive, great gas milage won't make up for the persistant problems with the direct ignition cassette (now part of a recall) and the terrible service from numerous dealers.

Favorite Features

Turbo charged engine is a great performer. Very good, supportive seats. Generally good European build quality. Lots of innovative thinking went into the Saab line.

Happy 2nd Saab driver
By QWK SWD from Md

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

"Smooth" is how my 26 yr. old son describes the drive. Excellent metallic paint, even after 5 yrs. Interior stylish yet reserved, high quality but a bit snug for 4 on board. 31mpg on the highway. Distinctive; you don't get lost among the Japanese nameplates on the road. Well built, very reliable. It doesn't break. An '06 9-5 next?

Favorite Features

Quick car w/a 5 speed, especially as the turbo spools up in 2nd and 3rd gears. Power seats allow the perfect driving position. Great cargo space and premium sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Lousy cupholders.

VROOM with ROOM
By goosaab

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Excellent car, VERY stylish. Good handling and comes with enough space to actually be useful. Highly recommend it. The cars looks better than most in its class.

Favorite Features

heated seats power moonroof, fun to drive stick shift

Suggested Improvements

cup holder

Problematic but a kick to drive
By Saab Story

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 3rd Saab, which I recently purchased with 79,000 km on it. I love the drive of Saabs but had a 900 lemon in the past and figured it was just bad luck. I wanted to buy a 2001 because I love the cavernous trunk area, which has been replaced by sedan models. Shortly after buying the car I noticed thick grey smoke belching out of the exhaust when I started it. I took it to the dealer and was advised that my turbo was on the way out...price of repair $1,600. I also soon noticed that: my stereo lights don't come on at night, driver's side fog light assembly is broken, antenna works when it wants to and my sunroof frame is prematurely rusting and bubbling. Explains why resale is low

Favorite Features

Love the unique styling, seats, headroom, engine response, hatchback space

Suggested Improvements

Ignition between the seats takes some getting used to, Saab dealer admitted that the 9-3 turbo was problematic, electrical goblins still exist as they did in my old 900 model, sunroof frame shouldn't be rusting so badly on a 4 year old car, reliablitly is questionable

Fun and Safe
By none

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I test drove this car and the Volvo S60 and the 9-3 won for overall driving experience. I have 88k miles on it and it has never let me down. I was hoping to drive this car for many many more miles but I was just in a major accident so it may be totalled. The good news is that I and my infant son were not harmed at all despite being hit at over 30mph.The frame took the impact as it should and in a lesser car we could have been seriously injured. I won't be looking at another Saab mainly because of design changes and different needs but I loved this car and am very thankful that we had it. The brakes are excellent and itis fun to drive in addition to being one of the safest cars on the road.

Favorite Features

Fun driving, comfortable seats, safety, power, excellent driving in snow/ice,huge storage space that fits even more than you'd think for a hatchback, very zippy; police officer's comment after seeing my car vs the other car whose front end was missing: Saabs are well-built cars. That says it all.

Suggested Improvements

The displays stopped working properly about 2 years ago and it was a minimum $500 for a reconditioned one. Annoying that I couldn't see the time/radio/etc but not enough to spend that much on a used one. Petty thing but I hate the fringe on the parking brake. And the cupholders are useless