2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
Buyer Beware
By lotek on 08/21/12 00:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you're thinking about buying a 9-3 Hatchback: don't think twice, just walk away. If you work on your vehicles yourself you'll end up tearing your hair out because everything in the engine compartment is so poorly planned, parts are hard to find and expensive. Good luck finding a mechanic that will touch it. I bought this car 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems for the last year and a half (and it's been well taken care of). There are so many people saying they're happy I felt it necessary to share my absolutely terrible experience with this car. I find it no surprise Saab isn't around anymore.

Love the car
By dstan02 on 06/20/12 11:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am the original owner. The car now has 132000 miles on it. Two years ago, in the winter, I drove it ALONE 4545 miles from Charlotte NC to Anchorage Alaska and that includes driving the Alcan Highway and then repeating the journey back home 6 months later. I now have driven it 2768 miles across country to Portland. This car never even "burped". I love this car. If I had any complaint, it would be the SID's pixels going out.

What a shame
By rb85 on 01/08/12 05:57 AM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car worked perfectly for me and I loved everything about it. It had good power, fuel economy, lots of cargo space, I like the way it looked and drove. I bought it used with about 57000 miles and in the four years I owned it I had to replace the turbo, throttle body, and timing chain to the tune of about $3k total. Then one month before I would have paid it off cylinder no.2 overheated, causing the piston rings to go. The engine was destroyed. The SAAB shop I was dealing with said a used motor installed would have cost almost $4k. I liked everything about the car except the reliability wasn't there and its very expensive to fix. SAABs were good in the early 90's, not anymore.

I never thought I'd like a Saab
By Comet335 on 07/23/10 10:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased a pre-owned Saab 9-3 5 door automatic with 79,000 miles on it as a second car. I LOVE IT! I would rather drive this car than my new Lincoln. Great engine, sporty, nice looks. I have only had to replace a sensor ($300) in the engine. Great car for the money.

Stalwart
By bcollier on 10/27/09 14:17 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 8 largely trouble-free years I felt it's time to give this car its due on Edmunds. Its best features are the fun factor - great responsive motor and handling, classic styling (the newer cars have become too homogeneous), and reliability which is surprising for Saab. There have been a couple costly part replacements, but over time that's to be expected. It's certainly been more reliable than our '05 Toyota Sequoia. After 8 yrs my eyes have begun to wander to possible replacements (e.g., M3), but the Saab keeps running strong, and if I "traded up" I suspect I'd miss the Saab more than I'd like the newer car.

Best car I have owned
By Darkcloud on 09/24/08 07:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have 96K miles on my 9-3 and have not had any problems. The car has been completely trouble free. The engine has plenty of power along with excellent gas mileage. A shame Saab did away with the hatchback. The newer models look more like every other cookie cutter car. Love this car so much we sold our Volvo and purchased another 2001 9-3

Saab never again! Maybe a BMW
By SergioC on 05/25/08 04:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First the positive on this car. This is a fun car to drive except to the shop or dealing with GM. The turbo charged went bad at 65,000 miles. GM customer service is the worse I ever dealt with it. Now it will cost me over 1,700 dollars on repairs since GM do not want to knowledge of the problem with the turbo charger that it should not gone bad. I am finally give up on this piece of junk and never will buy another GM or SAAB. If you think to buy a SAAB, please reconsider that it's a GM product now not a SAAB.

Amazing car!
By SAABLOVER456 on 05/08/08 10:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car to replace a Pontiac Sunfire, needless to say it blew my mind away! The car had so much get up and go I couldn't believe it! My cousin and I took it through a canyon and we got the speed up to 115 miles per hour. Not very smart, but I couldn't believe how it handled the turns it was absolutely amazing. Now the bad part the electrical is terrible in this car, I always had a problem with it. I couldn't get it fixed the mechanic couldn't find out why my emergency lights wouldn't stop flashing so I sold the car. Even though I had trouble with the car, I am wishing I never had gotten rid of it. The car was a blast to drive.

Worst car ever
By stacy on 04/11/08 08:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased a used Saab that had 35,000 miles when I bought it. In a 2 yr. period it has had approx. $7,000 in engine work done on it and the problem is still not fixed. It doesn't matter how many bells and whistles a car has if it wont run. I am not sure what kind of aircraft this car was born from but I would not want to fly in it. My advice is run, run far away!

Love this car!
By Jamie Jennings on 02/17/08 01:48 AM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

So much fun to drive. Reliable, no significant issues, even with car over 100k miles!