Used 2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

watch out!
By Diana

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this cute little car 5 years ago. After the first 2 years I had to replace the engine. One year later I had to replace the engine again. VERY costly. Expect to have at least $250 - $500 in mechanic bills quarterly. Other than that, i love how it looks, how it handles, the size, the interior. Just wish it was better built.

Auto top, heated seats, handling around corners.

Make the top also manual for when the hydraulics break. OH That awful CID that goes in all 9-3s. No way to see any errors, it just beeps at you until you get a new CID.

2nd Saab Convertible
By geek

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Own 1 bought this for my daughter. Comfortable, safe, style and expect the same high reliability I have experienced in the 5 years I have owned mine. Disregard the comments about GM build quality, all built in the same factory forever. Not a Sedan so don't expect the same trunk space or the feel. Understand a convertible before you buy one and if you buy a used car understand that repairs will be necessary. I really like the car which is clear since I now own 2. BTW my other car is a new MB, so my standards are high.

The seats are about as comfortable as any car, bar none. The ride is solid as is the car. Again it is a convertible so some "minor" bumpy on rough roads. Since I ride on well maintained roads most of the time I have no issues. Great looks, fun with the top down, very good in the snow. A buy used.

The newer cars have evolved so the trivial issues have been taken car of in the newer year models.

Mixed Feelings - Saab Enthusiast
By TrollHattanINsf

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

While I am a SAAB enthusiast, I have been less than enthusiastic with this car. When purchased, the vehicle was in good condition and looked over in Denver. However, within months I was repairing. Some cosmetic - totally my prerogative, and others necessary. Here's the necessaries: 1. Fog lamps cracked on the highway - design flaw of glass with no protection. These are $200/ea 2. Water Pump + hosing 3. Serpentine belts 4. Multiple headlamp halogens & multiple brake pad sets (I drive 5600/yr) 5. Engine Mts., Trans. Mounts 6. Front Wheel Bearings (under 70K) 7. Window motors + mechanism 8. Hydraulics for the top 9. SID re-manufactured 10. Mass Airflow meter It feels like a $$ pit.

TOP! TOP! TOP! Sound System is supreme. Turbo option is a real performer. Memory seats a plus. Tonneau cover (it neatly hides the top) gives the car a finished look.

Steering - many aftermarket parts to strengthen this though. Fuel Efficiency needs some major work (even in the 2009). Interior was cheaply designed in 2001 (thanx GM). GENERAL RELIABILITY NEEDS SOME MAJOR WORK. I had a 99' Prelude prior to this I bought new and put 150000mi and it was more reliable

Not bought yet? Run! Bought? SELL!!!!
By SaabNeverAgain!

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Okay, positives first: This is by far the most fun car I have ever driven - except to the shop. And I know what I am talking about - I have had to do that a lot and that ain't cheap! Bought it 3 years ago, had been leased for 3 years. Should have gotten the hint with all the things I had done on it while under the warranty still. I have had to pay $600-$1200 repairs on it several times a year for the past 3 years and I finally gave up and dumped this piece of workmanjunk at a pretty big loss! If you haven't bought one, but consider it, seriously reconsider. If you have one and are seeing problems mount, just get rid of it ASAP - too expensive to fix everything, all the time!

Riding with the top down. This puppy is too sleek and fun to drive! And it kicks some serious Turbo horsepowers if you floor it.

Rework that assembly line! Or use better quality parts. Reliability and this car are two words that do not go in the same sentence.

can't do better for the money
By DonCNY

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought used for $20k with 50k miles on it - it still feels as solid as a new car. Even the weatherstripping is still in great shape. Being a chop-top convertible, it was a bit shaky on bumpy roads and you could feel some body flex when cornering. I've added a subframe brace and swapped in a bigger rear anti-roll bar, and it now feels very solid. I can't believe how well this thing handles now as a FWD car, especially with the OE Goodyear all-seasons on it. Whenever I think I might be pushing it a little too hard it just hangs right on without so much as a howl. Why spend $5-6k more on the equivalent BMW when you can do just as well with under $400 worth of easy-to-install modifications?

Auto convertible top and tonneau cover are second to none; good level of power for FWD; AT's Sport mode - unrestricted power and hangs on to higher RPMs longer; TCS is excellent in winter weather; heated seats; reasonably sized 16-inch rims; the whole car just looks so sexy with the top down!

More frame reinforcement should come standard on the convertible; shabby pop-out cupholder that can get stuck in the dash wasn't the greatest idea