2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
watch out!
By Diana on 05/19/10 09:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this cute little car 5 years ago. After the first 2 years I had to replace the engine. One year later I had to replace the engine again. VERY costly. Expect to have at least $250 - $500 in mechanic bills quarterly. Other than that, i love how it looks, how it handles, the size, the interior. Just wish it was better built.

2nd Saab Convertible
By geek on 11/03/09 16:00 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Own 1 bought this for my daughter. Comfortable, safe, style and expect the same high reliability I have experienced in the 5 years I have owned mine. Disregard the comments about GM build quality, all built in the same factory forever. Not a Sedan so don't expect the same trunk space or the feel. Understand a convertible before you buy one and if you buy a used car understand that repairs will be necessary. I really like the car which is clear since I now own 2. BTW my other car is a new MB, so my standards are high.

Mixed Feelings - Saab Enthusiast
By TrollHattanINsf on 08/01/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

While I am a SAAB enthusiast, I have been less than enthusiastic with this car. When purchased, the vehicle was in good condition and looked over in Denver. However, within months I was repairing. Some cosmetic - totally my prerogative, and others necessary. Here's the necessaries: 1. Fog lamps cracked on the highway - design flaw of glass with no protection. These are $200/ea 2. Water Pump + hosing 3. Serpentine belts 4. Multiple headlamp halogens & multiple brake pad sets (I drive 5600/yr) 5. Engine Mts., Trans. Mounts 6. Front Wheel Bearings (under 70K) 7. Window motors + mechanism 8. Hydraulics for the top 9. SID re-manufactured 10. Mass Airflow meter It feels like a $$ pit.

Not bought yet? Run! Bought? SELL!!!!
By SaabNeverAgain! on 02/26/07 21:47 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Okay, positives first: This is by far the most fun car I have ever driven - except to the shop. And I know what I am talking about - I have had to do that a lot and that ain't cheap! Bought it 3 years ago, had been leased for 3 years. Should have gotten the hint with all the things I had done on it while under the warranty still. I have had to pay $600-$1200 repairs on it several times a year for the past 3 years and I finally gave up and dumped this piece of workmanjunk at a pretty big loss! If you haven't bought one, but consider it, seriously reconsider. If you have one and are seeing problems mount, just get rid of it ASAP - too expensive to fix everything, all the time!

can't do better for the money
By DonCNY on 02/07/06 13:40 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought used for $20k with 50k miles on it - it still feels as solid as a new car. Even the weatherstripping is still in great shape. Being a chop-top convertible, it was a bit shaky on bumpy roads and you could feel some body flex when cornering. I've added a subframe brace and swapped in a bigger rear anti-roll bar, and it now feels very solid. I can't believe how well this thing handles now as a FWD car, especially with the OE Goodyear all-seasons on it. Whenever I think I might be pushing it a little too hard it just hangs right on without so much as a howl. Why spend $5-6k more on the equivalent BMW when you can do just as well with under $400 worth of easy-to-install modifications?

Great driving, exceptional power
By awasti on 12/22/05 14:56 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great for driving. Turbo is very powerful, although kicks in around 35MPH. Car has all the necessary luxuries pre- packages from heated seats to dual power seat adjustment to climate control to on-star gps tracking.

Don't let others scare you!
By minimaniac on 04/14/05 19:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great car! Many say the reliablilty of Saabs isn't up to par, but this is my third and I have yet to have any of the horror stories that many others claim. The turbo is great, the interior is comfortable, and with the top down, it's seriously fun. Even the trunk has considerable room, and the seats fold down. The heated seats are great in cold weather, and the sound system is impressive for a stock one. I recommend this to anyone. It looks great and will impress many.

2 Much Fun
By minimyzr on 03/26/05 14:57 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What a pleasure to drive! I looked at all of the soft-tops - from Mercedes to Mustangs and this one...well is the very best value. Good solid engineering, simply designed for a serious driver, and loads of fun without the usual concerns of convertible vulnerability. I am now a lifer, albeit wish I were one earlier. FYI: Blind spots can be virtually eliminated with small concave mirrors attached to outside mirrors.

Uniquely Saab- Seattle
By josh on 02/08/05 12:40 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We have enjoyed this car for 4 years. We have never had a problem and don't expect one.We drive it in all weather coditions- No Problem. No better investment then owning a ragtop in Seattle. We are considering replacing it with a new 9.3 conv.. Dealership experience has been exceptional. I scratch my head wondering why Saabs depreciate as they do. They are a great buy for the money.If you are a educated and responsible owner and service your car appropriately, as we have, then Saab is your car.

don't ever buy one!
By saabing on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i have had my '01 9-3 for 6 moth. it has now 97000 miles, I have replaced the air compressor, all belts and hoses, Transmission, muffler, and more. I have spent more than 5 thousand dollars on top of the purchase price of this lemmon. Don't be saabing like me and never buy one used. Oh and the locks and the seats don't work anymore, electrical problems