2001 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
Could be better
By vchirico on 07/08/14 14:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

going strong after 191000 miles, fun to drive and amazing capacity.The turbocharged engine makes things fun and it is amazing in the snow. Now for the down sides it feels like I am playing wack a mole with all the problems maybe its just the fact it is an old car at this point. I would consider it decently reliable but, the parts feel like there unnecessary expensive compared to cars of the same size. Good car could be better though. if given the decision I would pass considering the company is out of business and there isn't much of a scrap Saab base to scavenge parts.

Buyer Beware
By lotek on 08/21/12 00:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you're thinking about buying a 9-3 Hatchback: don't think twice, just walk away. If you work on your vehicles yourself you'll end up tearing your hair out because everything in the engine compartment is so poorly planned, parts are hard to find and expensive. Good luck finding a mechanic that will touch it. I bought this car 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems for the last year and a half (and it's been well taken care of). There are so many people saying they're happy I felt it necessary to share my absolutely terrible experience with this car. I find it no surprise Saab isn't around anymore.

Love the car
By dstan02 on 06/20/12 11:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am the original owner. The car now has 132000 miles on it. Two years ago, in the winter, I drove it ALONE 4545 miles from Charlotte NC to Anchorage Alaska and that includes driving the Alcan Highway and then repeating the journey back home 6 months later. I now have driven it 2768 miles across country to Portland. This car never even "burped". I love this car. If I had any complaint, it would be the SID's pixels going out.

What a shame
By rb85 on 01/08/12 05:57 AM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car worked perfectly for me and I loved everything about it. It had good power, fuel economy, lots of cargo space, I like the way it looked and drove. I bought it used with about 57000 miles and in the four years I owned it I had to replace the turbo, throttle body, and timing chain to the tune of about $3k total. Then one month before I would have paid it off cylinder no.2 overheated, causing the piston rings to go. The engine was destroyed. The SAAB shop I was dealing with said a used motor installed would have cost almost $4k. I liked everything about the car except the reliability wasn't there and its very expensive to fix. SAABs were good in the early 90's, not anymore.

My Little black Dress that i just can help but love
By osvsct on 03/19/11 19:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well to start of it is a 2001 Saab Viggen and i adore this car. Yes as with most cars stuff has broken or has gone wrong but nothing that if u know how to use the internet can easy be fixed for a cheaper price. well this is my Second Saab 9-3 and my first Viggen. I love the car for its low stance its after market rims and the most important that tiny coke bottle displacement engine with its shop vac sized turbo. I dont drive it hard cuz it gets noticed more going low and slow witch is what i like (less speeding tickets) but out on the high was its stable, flat and has more than ample power for passing. but like all Turbo engines the best bet is to change your oil every 4000km with synthetic

I never thought I'd like a Saab
By Comet335 on 07/23/10 10:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased a pre-owned Saab 9-3 5 door automatic with 79,000 miles on it as a second car. I LOVE IT! I would rather drive this car than my new Lincoln. Great engine, sporty, nice looks. I have only had to replace a sensor ($300) in the engine. Great car for the money.

watch out!
By Diana on 05/19/10 09:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this cute little car 5 years ago. After the first 2 years I had to replace the engine. One year later I had to replace the engine again. VERY costly. Expect to have at least $250 - $500 in mechanic bills quarterly. Other than that, i love how it looks, how it handles, the size, the interior. Just wish it was better built.

2nd Saab Convertible
By geek on 11/03/09 16:00 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Own 1 bought this for my daughter. Comfortable, safe, style and expect the same high reliability I have experienced in the 5 years I have owned mine. Disregard the comments about GM build quality, all built in the same factory forever. Not a Sedan so don't expect the same trunk space or the feel. Understand a convertible before you buy one and if you buy a used car understand that repairs will be necessary. I really like the car which is clear since I now own 2. BTW my other car is a new MB, so my standards are high.

Stalwart
By bcollier on 10/27/09 14:17 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 8 largely trouble-free years I felt it's time to give this car its due on Edmunds. Its best features are the fun factor - great responsive motor and handling, classic styling (the newer cars have become too homogeneous), and reliability which is surprising for Saab. There have been a couple costly part replacements, but over time that's to be expected. It's certainly been more reliable than our '05 Toyota Sequoia. After 8 yrs my eyes have begun to wander to possible replacements (e.g., M3), but the Saab keeps running strong, and if I "traded up" I suspect I'd miss the Saab more than I'd like the newer car.

Mixed Feelings - Saab Enthusiast
By TrollHattanINsf on 08/01/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-3 SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

While I am a SAAB enthusiast, I have been less than enthusiastic with this car. When purchased, the vehicle was in good condition and looked over in Denver. However, within months I was repairing. Some cosmetic - totally my prerogative, and others necessary. Here's the necessaries: 1. Fog lamps cracked on the highway - design flaw of glass with no protection. These are $200/ea 2. Water Pump + hosing 3. Serpentine belts 4. Multiple headlamp halogens & multiple brake pad sets (I drive 5600/yr) 5. Engine Mts., Trans. Mounts 6. Front Wheel Bearings (under 70K) 7. Window motors + mechanism 8. Hydraulics for the top 9. SID re-manufactured 10. Mass Airflow meter It feels like a $$ pit.