2000 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
The Best Ever
By Copy on 12/20/05 15:08 PM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 2dr Convertible

I was a little reluctant to get the new Saab (back in 2000) but something made me to for 3 years later. This convertible is the best ever. In California never Had a problem. It is amazing how fast you can pass any car with the turbo. Even in California this car is an icon and everyone watches you pass. I am proud I made the best decision.

My 4th Saab, 2nd 9.3
By Pete on 09/14/05 20:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 SE HO Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Bought this vehicle with 32K on it last July. Put about 30K on it in 1 year. Have had no issue issues with the car besides normal maintenance. Great gas milage for the size and performance. Nice highway driving and comfortable. I very pleased with vehicle to this point.

I love it - but be gentle...
By Antoine on 08/22/05 16:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Viggen Turbo 2dr Convertible

We looked for this car for over 6 mos., and were excited when we got it! Wow - what great looks! Rides firm (but not harsh), responsive steering and brakes, and acceleration is phenomenal. With the Viggen's torque and horses, you WILL leave cars behind rather easily. However, the car IS rather temperamental and requires TLC. If you drive on other than the SMOOTHEST of roads, you'll probably bend the rims, requiring immediate attention so as not to ruin your alignment. Additionally, we just passed 100k, and our water pump, brakes and a/c compressor all went out within 2k miles of each other, amounting to almost $3k in repairs. Be aware - but you can definitely enjoy yourself!

Don't even think about it
By acr on 08/19/05 14:22 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

I have owned my 2000 SE Turbo SAAB for a little over 1 yr. Over this year I have put over $3000 into it. After purchasing it the di-cassette went out, costing $700. I have had numerous oil pumps and hoses replaced each time to the shop it is $300. Then my AC compressor went out, causing the Reciever/Dryer to go out. This is $1500 to fix. Had the car back for 15 minutes and the serpentine belt went out. Over all the car has been in the shop 5 times in a year. I will be selling the car as soon as I get it out of the shop. It gets better....the part I need (receiever/dryer) is on national back order for 6 months. RED FLAG.

Regrets, my last Saab
By Egmontgirl on 06/13/05 14:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 2dr Convertible

This is my second Saab and regretfully my last. The first (1995 conv) had massive battery/electrical/conv. problems and this one needed a new engine. This model has a newly found defect that Saab calls "engine sludge." They are covering this problem under the warranty but beware it decreases performance until you take it in or until it strands you on the highway. I have finally decided that it doesn't make sense for me to pay the upgrade for a performance vehicle when the performance deteriorates. Alas, it is all under warranty but the fact that it needed a new engine is going to really hurt my resale value. I've loved these cars eventhough they proved to not be worth the luxury pricetag.

Shows it's age
By LAC on 05/14/05 00:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

My friends in Europe told me not to buy it and I now know why. Shows its cheap European GM Cavalier frame through poor handling with too much understeer and being very cluncky to drive. Poor build quality and has been unreliable. While reasonably quick, it does require at least 91 octane gas to avoid engine issues but I knew this is a requirement with all turbo's. Air conditioning failed, switches on dash failed, LED display failing piece by piece, I could go on. I hope the new model is a better car - it needs to be!

I really like it
By MyblueSaab on 01/01/05 01:21 AM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I have come to really like this car. I used to own an Acura and had to sell it to fit our new baby and her gear!! This car has done wonders. I can load and entire weekends worth of gear for my baby, my wife and myself and still not have to overflow into the cabin. The Trunk is a cavern. I can set the cruise at 75mph and get close to 30 mpg. I could go on and on but the list is too numerous. All in all this car is not more than I needed, but has turned out to be more than I expected.

Sold a Lemon
By ginman on 12/30/04 12:20 PM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Had just under 28,000 miles on it. First time I drove it the windows would not work properly - had to replace the switch. Water pump went at 31,900 and the rear breaks were frozen -The dealer would not cut me any kind of break even though just out of waranty. Broke down just before xmas at 33,000 - would not start - was stranded - tow ($90) to dealer - bad ignition module ($745). Car has cost me over $2,000 in service/repair in 6 months. Don't buy this car.

Very High Maintenance
By stoker999 on 11/09/04 15:43 PM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 2dr Convertible

Replaced the following items: 47K miles--serpentine belt broke, timing chain replaced. 56K miles--turbo replaced 57K miles--DI electronics replaced 58K miles--balance chain, water pump and head gasket changed With the 60,000 suggested maintenance, the repair costs exceed $6,000. Saab corporate thought this was acceptable.

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4DR Hatchback
By bellari on 05/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Drives like a small sports car, but is roomy & comfortable inside. I once packed an armoire in the back! Visibility and handling are excellent.