Used 2000 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

Wonderful Car
By Ted

2000 Saab 9-3 SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

When I went to the dealership, I had no intention of buying a convertible, but the salesman pointed out that I could have one for about the same price, and I ended up buying one. Apparently I have good luck, because I bought the car with 103,500 miles and have had no problems at all. The car is an automatic (I would have preferred a manual), but it is still quite peppy. I install a Saab cat-back exhaust and an open air intake -- this combo has made for an AWESOME turbo sound, as well as increased response. I have been surprised by the countless convenience features of this car - all little things, but proof in the well thought out Swedish design.

The turbo, cornering ability, the automatic top goes down in 25 seconds, convenience features.

Frame bracing to fix cowl shake on bumpy roads, interior lights and computer screen malfunction due to age, along with a few other minor electrical related problems.

Love em or Hate em
By BDCT97

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

We bought our Certified Used 2000 9-3 in 2004. Phenomenal dealer service but, constantly in for repair. As most Saab owners its the car you love and hate. Few cars have the sport, luxury and utility, (hatchback) of the car and 30mpg is easy on the highway. We have logged 99k and are thinking of trading. I drove a 05 9-3 Arc and its seats aren't as nice and although it has 210 hp, somehow my 2000 with 185 hp seems just as fast. I still haven't made up my mind to keep it but Ive been given an offer on an 05 Volvo S60 AWD and hands down a nicer car than the 05 9-3. I'll miss the Saab service, but as often as they see me, they didn't offer a great deal on the 05 9-3, Volvo did :)

Seats, winter mode and sport mode on the transmission and the funky features like weather radio and rear fog light

Perfect the way it was, just too many repairs

It's what you know about high output
By derekdrl

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

First of all I hear people talking about sludge in a turbo motor, only thing is if you ask 90% of them people they were using conv. Oil (its a high output motor that needs synthetic motor oil) 2nd thing is there are some things wrong like the hud (heads up display) big deal, but in comparison to other vehicles in class small problems are worth the 10k in savings, I've made my Saab a full blown race car and beat it up pretty bad and things have gone wrong but the heart of the vehicle is as strong as the day I bought it. So what I'm saying is if you are cheap on parts and service (I. E. - synthetic oil every 3k miles and premium gas then that's what happens). It's not a Ford!

sports car for good price

Bigger factory brakes and HUD worked, and stiffer springs

stay away from this car
By Anna

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I must say , it is a great car if it is drivable. Everything in this car broke, starting with trunk lock and ending with the engine. The extended warranty for oil sludge is the biggest scam. The Saab admits that there is the problem but at the same time they the requirement for the warranty is all oil change receipts from the beginning. I am the second owner of this car. I am missing only 2 oil receipts from the first owner ( 20,000 & 30,000 miles). The Saab Corp. refused to replace my engine because I am missing these 2 oil receipts. The worst service ever. After thousands of $$ I spent on this car , it is a junk now worth $0. I am preparing for a law suit now. Stay away from Saab

fun to drive(when it drives) and design

leave the same body and build reliable car inside

Fast, fun and functional.
By menzo

2000 Saab 9-3 Viggen Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is the definitive Saab. Best Saab ever, only the '78 99 turbo compares. It is not a typical 9-3. It has improved suspension, wheels, brakes, aerodynamics, seats, electronics, computer settings for the engine (higher horse power). Overall it is a pleasure to drive. Instant acceleration, great cornering, handling and control when braking at high speeds. Because of the high torque it does have torque steer which is most noticable at lower speed acceleration. 31+ mpg highway - 29 mpg country road commute. This car is for you if you enjoy windy country roads taken at fast speeds.

Plush leather seats with side restraints that keep you locked in when diving into corners. Suspension gives it a stiff ride but worth it for the performance. Instant acceleration, can pass almost anything anywhere. Stealth appearance, looks like a 9-3, moves like a Porsche.

Better SID (display units crap out).