Used 2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

GREAT used car - would have never bought it new
By rurahrah

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought this car sight unseen in Sep 2010 from a dealer (found it on Autotrader). The car had 86k miles on it and the Carfax showed it had been properly maintained. I paid $5,900, which included shipping, taxes, etc. Cheap! Prior car was a 1999 Saab 9-3 SE hatchback so I already was familiar with its quirks. I have only put about 2k miles on it so far but must say that so far it is the BEST car I have ever owned. FUN!

Favorite Features

One touch power top, heated seats, sound system. Installed a Parrot handsfree bluetooth system (the SID even says 'TELEPHONE" when it turns on - cool).

Suggested Improvements

Only real complaint is the torque steer and cowl shake. Plan on upgrading suspension with parts from genuinesaab.com, namely swapping out steering rack clamp, rear sway bar, front strut brace, and installing a 6 point sub-frame brace. Easy upgrades that cost about $800 in total if you do it yourself. Overall, VERY happy with it, but would never have paid the $42k for it new. Very important to find one that has been properly maintained.

Love - Hate My Saab
By Lisa

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible

My main objective for purchasing the 2000 Saab convertible (new) was the safety features and reliability reputation, having been stranded with previous used cars numerous times. Sadly, I have been stranded 6 times in this car, the first after owning it less than a year. In addition to normal regular maintenance, the DI cassette has gone twice, seat belt replaced, water pump broke, AC compressor (broke again within 4 months) to name just a few items. I love the look of the car and used to enjoy driving it but no longer have the confidence that I will get to where I am going safely. I would not buy another Saab after my experience. My repair shop jokes about how frequently they see me each year

Favorite Features

Convertible top, one touch up and down.

Suggested Improvements

Information display is illegible now and started going early in ownership. Overall better QA and research. So many things should not go wrong on such an expensive car with what used to be a great reputation.

Wonderful Car
By Ted

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

When I went to the dealership, I had no intention of buying a convertible, but the salesman pointed out that I could have one for about the same price, and I ended up buying one. Apparently I have good luck, because I bought the car with 103,500 miles and have had no problems at all. The car is an automatic (I would have preferred a manual), but it is still quite peppy. I install a Saab cat-back exhaust and an open air intake -- this combo has made for an AWESOME turbo sound, as well as increased response. I have been surprised by the countless convenience features of this car - all little things, but proof in the well thought out Swedish design.

Favorite Features

The turbo, cornering ability, the automatic top goes down in 25 seconds, convenience features.

Suggested Improvements

Frame bracing to fix cowl shake on bumpy roads, interior lights and computer screen malfunction due to age, along with a few other minor electrical related problems.

S-hameful A-utomobile A-lways B-roken
By Used2LoveSaabs

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my Saab used in 03 with 52000 miles on it, expecting to keep it for 10 years. The car has been a constant repair nightmare and all issues are apparently well known problems with this model. The worst issue has been the engine completely blowing at 96,000 miles due to "sludge" build-up. It cost me about $7,000 to replace mine. I have been stranded twice due to DI cassette failure and twice for serpentine belt failure. I have also had to replaced the AC compressor. Do not buy!

Favorite Features

The car is gorgeous, fast, good on gas, and great even in snow.

Reliable for the first 50,000...
By Peterz

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible

The car was fine for the first 50K, after that everything that could go wrong did. I maintain the car religiously, keep it in a garage and still it is a headache. For the past 12 mos my repair bill average $550 a month (three towings so far), including turbo for $1900, fuel pump assembly $550 and (yes!) a driver seatbelt for $470 (and I use a solid local repair shop not the dealer that charges a first born).

Favorite Features

Car general design (attractive and eye catching), roof retraction system, drive comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of parts and assembly, left foot rest for driver (it should be straight, not tilted to the side), extended warranty option (although I know why it is now NOT being offered).