2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
GREAT used car - would have never bought it new
By rurahrah on 01/05/11 11:47 AM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought this car sight unseen in Sep 2010 from a dealer (found it on Autotrader). The car had 86k miles on it and the Carfax showed it had been properly maintained. I paid $5,900, which included shipping, taxes, etc. Cheap! Prior car was a 1999 Saab 9-3 SE hatchback so I already was familiar with its quirks. I have only put about 2k miles on it so far but must say that so far it is the BEST car I have ever owned. FUN!

Love - Hate My Saab
By Lisa on 07/07/10 12:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible

My main objective for purchasing the 2000 Saab convertible (new) was the safety features and reliability reputation, having been stranded with previous used cars numerous times. Sadly, I have been stranded 6 times in this car, the first after owning it less than a year. In addition to normal regular maintenance, the DI cassette has gone twice, seat belt replaced, water pump broke, AC compressor (broke again within 4 months) to name just a few items. I love the look of the car and used to enjoy driving it but no longer have the confidence that I will get to where I am going safely. I would not buy another Saab after my experience. My repair shop jokes about how frequently they see me each year

Wonderful Car
By Ted on 06/06/08 17:10 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

When I went to the dealership, I had no intention of buying a convertible, but the salesman pointed out that I could have one for about the same price, and I ended up buying one. Apparently I have good luck, because I bought the car with 103,500 miles and have had no problems at all. The car is an automatic (I would have preferred a manual), but it is still quite peppy. I install a Saab cat-back exhaust and an open air intake -- this combo has made for an AWESOME turbo sound, as well as increased response. I have been surprised by the countless convenience features of this car - all little things, but proof in the well thought out Swedish design.

S-hameful A-utomobile A-lways B-roken
By Used2LoveSaabs on 04/08/07 22:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my Saab used in 03 with 52000 miles on it, expecting to keep it for 10 years. The car has been a constant repair nightmare and all issues are apparently well known problems with this model. The worst issue has been the engine completely blowing at 96,000 miles due to "sludge" build-up. It cost me about $7,000 to replace mine. I have been stranded twice due to DI cassette failure and twice for serpentine belt failure. I have also had to replaced the AC compressor. Do not buy!

Reliable for the first 50,000...
By Peterz on 01/14/07 10:07 AM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible

The car was fine for the first 50K, after that everything that could go wrong did. I maintain the car religiously, keep it in a garage and still it is a headache. For the past 12 mos my repair bill average $550 a month (three towings so far), including turbo for $1900, fuel pump assembly $550 and (yes!) a driver seatbelt for $470 (and I use a solid local repair shop not the dealer that charges a first born).

Mine suffered from oil sludge
By 2000 9-3 Conv SE 2dr on 03/01/06 16:52 PM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my Saab 2000 SE Turbo Convertible as a Certified Used vehicle. After having the car for 2 months, the engine completely blew (as well as the Turbo and catalytic converter) because of a known issue with this 2000 model -- oil sludge. I fought and fought and fought for MONTHS with Saab corporate to fix my $15,000 used lemon. Saab Corporate kept insisting that I PROVE the vehicle had proper maintenance (i.e. oil changes) throughout its life. BUT I had JUST bought the vehicle from a Miami dealer as a CERTIFIED USED vehicle. That, by definition, means the vehicle had a proper maintenance throughout its history. Saab eventually replaced engine, turbo and now the car is fantatic!

The Best Ever
By Copy on 12/20/05 15:08 PM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible

I was a little reluctant to get the new Saab (back in 2000) but something made me to for 3 years later. This convertible is the best ever. In California never Had a problem. It is amazing how fast you can pass any car with the turbo. Even in California this car is an icon and everyone watches you pass. I am proud I made the best decision.

Don't even think about it
By acr on 08/19/05 14:22 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

I have owned my 2000 SE Turbo SAAB for a little over 1 yr. Over this year I have put over $3000 into it. After purchasing it the di-cassette went out, costing $700. I have had numerous oil pumps and hoses replaced each time to the shop it is $300. Then my AC compressor went out, causing the Reciever/Dryer to go out. This is $1500 to fix. Had the car back for 15 minutes and the serpentine belt went out. Over all the car has been in the shop 5 times in a year. I will be selling the car as soon as I get it out of the shop. It gets better....the part I need (receiever/dryer) is on national back order for 6 months. RED FLAG.

Regrets, my last Saab
By Egmontgirl on 06/13/05 14:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible

This is my second Saab and regretfully my last. The first (1995 conv) had massive battery/electrical/conv. problems and this one needed a new engine. This model has a newly found defect that Saab calls "engine sludge." They are covering this problem under the warranty but beware it decreases performance until you take it in or until it strands you on the highway. I have finally decided that it doesn't make sense for me to pay the upgrade for a performance vehicle when the performance deteriorates. Alas, it is all under warranty but the fact that it needed a new engine is going to really hurt my resale value. I've loved these cars eventhough they proved to not be worth the luxury pricetag.

Very High Maintenance
By stoker999 on 11/09/04 15:43 PM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-3 Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible

Replaced the following items: 47K miles--serpentine belt broke, timing chain replaced. 56K miles--turbo replaced 57K miles--DI electronics replaced 58K miles--balance chain, water pump and head gasket changed With the 60,000 suggested maintenance, the repair costs exceed $6,000. Saab corporate thought this was acceptable.