2000 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
Swedish Sleeper...a future classic
By m11171 on 10/02/11 13:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Viggen Turbo 4dr Hatchback

They don't build cars like the Viggen anymore. This car is an animal, pure and simple. But, with 5-door configuration, I can take my family and plenty of belongings (in the huge hatch) anywhere in comfort and safety. This is a very limited production car. With the right modifications, they can be made into not just fast - but also excellent handling vehicles. As long as you stay on top of maintenance these cars are fun and reliable transportation. The acceleration on this car will shock those who don't know what this car is. This is the fastest car SAAB ever produced, and remains so to this day (Oct 2011). Still, I get 31 mpg on the highway and about 20 in the city. Love it!

2000 Saab 9-3 Hatchback Auto
By myhooptie on 05/19/11 05:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Over all the car was great for what I needed it for. Had a lot of problems with the front wheel hub and bearing assembly. I had to replace the same wheel hub twice in less than 10,000 miles. I am pretty sure that all of them were going bad and i only had 160000 miles on it and the fuel pump went out on me. I also had to change out the radiator before 150000 mile. There was a problem with the driver seatbelt which made me want to get rid of it. I thought that because it was not american built that i would get at least 200000 miles out of it. Not even close. This car was not built for car seats at all. My kid tried to put his car seat up front

GREAT used car - would have never bought it new
By rurahrah on 01/05/11 11:47 AM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-3 SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought this car sight unseen in Sep 2010 from a dealer (found it on Autotrader). The car had 86k miles on it and the Carfax showed it had been properly maintained. I paid $5,900, which included shipping, taxes, etc. Cheap! Prior car was a 1999 Saab 9-3 SE hatchback so I already was familiar with its quirks. I have only put about 2k miles on it so far but must say that so far it is the BEST car I have ever owned. FUN!

Excellent car
By chris on 08/30/10 14:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I was kind of skeptical about buying this vehicle because I had heard repairs are too expensive. However, I have driven this car everywhere in the last 6 months and it has been great. has not let me down at all, I have put 15 thousand miles in the last 6 months, bought it with 126 thousand. if you do all the preventive maintenance on a SAAB, it will last a very long time.

Love - Hate My Saab
By Lisa on 07/07/10 12:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 2dr Convertible

My main objective for purchasing the 2000 Saab convertible (new) was the safety features and reliability reputation, having been stranded with previous used cars numerous times. Sadly, I have been stranded 6 times in this car, the first after owning it less than a year. In addition to normal regular maintenance, the DI cassette has gone twice, seat belt replaced, water pump broke, AC compressor (broke again within 4 months) to name just a few items. I love the look of the car and used to enjoy driving it but no longer have the confidence that I will get to where I am going safely. I would not buy another Saab after my experience. My repair shop jokes about how frequently they see me each year

Fun to drive no fun on your wallet
By Kabir on 03/22/10 08:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Viggen Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Owning my Viggen was like being addicted to a drug. You know it's bad but you cant get rid of it. It was the most fun to drive car I ever owned. I've had an older Porsche and many BMW's but the Saab blew them away when it came to fun. I had to replace the engine at 120,000km ($8000repair bill) then a piston went 5 months later. My dad had a 9-5 at the same time and had nothing but trouble also. Stay away from these car's GM ruined them. If you want a Saab look for a pre 1991 model that's when they were reliable. On a positive my Viggen got AMAZING fuel economy for a turbo car. I once got 1012 km on one tank of gas on a road trip.

Safety and a Sports car
By Musashi R. Sadler on 02/05/10 10:09 AM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-3 SE HO Turbo 4dr Hatchback

To start off, the saab is my first car. I got it a year ago during my senior year of highschool, and ever since then I have love every bit of it. My only problem with it is that it is a little worn. There are some airflow issues and the radiator was leaking but these were not manufacturing flaws but probably from the former owner(s). I wish I could have drove it when it was new but sadly I can't. Oh and these cars are pretty strong, because yesterday I got rear ended pretty hard by a honda accord and came out with just a dent and scratches on the rear bumper... can't say much for the honda though. So if your teenager wants a car you should go for this one, you get safety and a sports car.

Fine Saab Properly Maintained
By SPKorn on 07/28/09 15:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I've owned this Saab 9-3 since new. It has been trouble-free...and more trouble-free than our Acura. Have performed all factory maintenance and 3 oil changes a year. Great mileage with manual trans, and heated fabric seats is unique. Marvelous in snow. Timeless hatchback styling. Would buy again, but concerned whether Saab will be around. Too bad.

Fun Fun fun
By Legin on 01/24/09 17:51 PM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I have had nothing but good experiences with my Saab, sure, a few minor things have worn out, but you have to expect some maintenance. It's fantastically fun to drive and if you can stay off the turbo it is possible to get over 31 mpg on the highway.

Shameful
By getts45 on 08/20/08 18:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-3 SE HO Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I would expect a lot more out of a car that claims to be an upperscale car. Been a constant nightmare since purchased. While driving it home from the dealer it broke down- $300 repair. Two months later again. $700 repair. then twice more each over $150 repairs. It rides clunky, choppy and stiff, rattles and the body hardware is terrible: door jams wear easily, under the wheelwells wear to the bare metal, and the only good thing is the power and fuel economy and the looks of it. Stay away from this car!