Used 2000 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

Swedish Sleeper...a future classic
By m11171

2000 Saab 9-3 Viggen Turbo 4dr Hatchback

They don't build cars like the Viggen anymore. This car is an animal, pure and simple. But, with 5-door configuration, I can take my family and plenty of belongings (in the huge hatch) anywhere in comfort and safety.

This is a very limited production car. With the right modifications, they can be made into not just fast - but also excellent handling vehicles. As long as you stay on top of maintenance these cars are fun and reliable transportation.

The acceleration on this car will shock those who don't know what this car is. This is the fastest car SAAB ever produced, and remains so to this day (Oct 2011). Still, I get 31 mpg on the highway and about 20 in the city. Love it!

Motor, blistering acceleration, best front seats ever made, ergonomics and convenience, safety features ...a SAAB hallmark

parts can be expensive, at this point these cars are aging and need TLC/maintenance, manual tranny isn't the smoothest

2000 Saab 9-3 Hatchback Auto
By myhooptie

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Over all the car was great for what I needed it for. Had a lot of problems with the front wheel hub and bearing assembly.
I had to replace the same wheel hub twice in less than 10,000 miles. I am pretty sure that all of them were going bad and i only had 160000 miles on it and the fuel pump went out on me. I also had to change out the radiator before 150000 mile. There was a problem with the driver seatbelt which made me want to get rid of it. I thought that because it was not american built that i would get at least 200000 miles out of it. Not even close. This car was not built for car seats at all. My kid tried to put his car seat up front

Tan leather interior was built to last.Turbo Sports feature that allowed me to take on BMW's, Merceds and even a Dodge Chargers. Winter feature that allowed me to drive in Chicago's most horrific snow. You can run this car on High Mileage oil before 50,0000 miles and it will treat you like a king for the rest of the ownership.I went 10,000 miles with no oil change and the mechanic couldn't even tell. Seats almost reclined to180 degrees. Amazing when you're pulling into a rest stop on a long drive. Looks very business casual. Amazing trunk space

Suspension, Interior space, Sound system, dependability, pricing. Wheel hub assembly, Radiator. Headlights,starter and neutral safety switch.

GREAT used car - would have never bought it new
By rurahrah

2000 Saab 9-3 SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought this car sight unseen in Sep 2010 from a dealer (found it on Autotrader).
The car had 86k miles on it and the Carfax showed it had been properly maintained.
I paid $5,900, which included shipping, taxes, etc.
Cheap!
Prior car was a 1999 Saab 9-3 SE hatchback so I already was familiar with its quirks.
I have only put about 2k miles on it so far but must say that so far it is the BEST car I have ever owned.
FUN!

One touch power top, heated seats, sound system. Installed a Parrot handsfree bluetooth system (the SID even says 'TELEPHONE" when it turns on - cool).

Only real complaint is the torque steer and cowl shake. Plan on upgrading suspension with parts from genuinesaab.com, namely swapping out steering rack clamp, rear sway bar, front strut brace, and installing a 6 point sub-frame brace. Easy upgrades that cost about $800 in total if you do it yourself. Overall, VERY happy with it, but would never have paid the $42k for it new. Very important to find one that has been properly maintained.

Excellent car
By chris

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I was kind of skeptical about buying this vehicle because I had heard repairs are too expensive. However, I have driven this car everywhere in the last 6 months and it has been great. has not let me down at all, I have put 15 thousand miles in the last 6 months, bought it with 126 thousand. if you do all the preventive maintenance on a SAAB, it will last a very long time.

love the turbo, the quietest/smoothest ride I have had from a 4-cylinder engine. really like the comfort of the seats

as every one else probably has noticed, the info display goes out. not a big deal.

Love - Hate My Saab
By Lisa

2000 Saab 9-3 Turbo 2dr Convertible

My main objective for purchasing the 2000 Saab convertible (new) was the safety features and reliability reputation, having been stranded with previous used cars numerous times. Sadly, I have been stranded 6 times in this car, the first after owning it less than a year. In addition to normal regular maintenance, the DI cassette has gone twice, seat belt replaced, water pump broke, AC compressor (broke again within 4 months) to name just a few items. I love the look of the car and used to enjoy driving it but no longer have the confidence that I will get to where I am going safely. I would not buy another Saab after my experience. My repair shop jokes about how frequently they see me each year

Convertible top, one touch up and down.

Information display is illegible now and started going early in ownership. Overall better QA and research. So many things should not go wrong on such an expensive car with what used to be a great reputation.