Used 1999 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

Saab 9-3 SE 4 dr Auto
By pmcag

1999 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Bought a 9-3 with 65,000 mi and have been pretty happy. Don't like the auto climate system - defaults to air cond. in summer. Good fuel mileage. Much more power than my accord ex V-Tech. Oil changes are easy. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing major happens like an engine seizure due to oil pickup getting blocked.

Favorite Features

Pickup, steering.

Suggested Improvements

Keep making them GM.

Motorcycle alternative
By Mid life crisis car

1999 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my 99 Saab convertible as a second car. I brought it to a SAAB only local service shop that has taken care of all the basics. Now, I get to drive. I love this car. It has great pick up, is very comfortable, and is lots of fun. I'm not sure about other guys, but this is a great alternative to a motorcycle for me. (I tend to not pay attention when I drive!). Yes, the 9-3 has quirks and leaks, etc. But I am so tired of seeing stupid expensive 323's on the road... and this car is perfect for me.

Favorite Features

Pick up, comfort, gas mileage, radio, convertible, little quirks. Not a lot of people have these cars which makes it even more fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality parts.

Great on Highway, Hard on your Wallet
By ifthecar

1999 Saab 9-3 Turbo 2dr Convertible

I purchased the my 9-3 Convertible with 18K miles and now has 107K. When running, it is great on the highway, and so much fun with the top down. The great things are the stereo, very comfortable seats (could easily drive cross country). The bad things: I had it break down 3 times (would not start), and each time it would cost around $1000 to fix. The build quality is not good, and my top had to be replaced even though it is suppose to last a lifetime. Buy this car for a great ride, but expect to pay for maintenance.

Favorite Features

Leather Seats, heated seats, great stereo

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders, HUD displays burns out all the time

Repairs on high mileage '99 9-3
By nhundt

1999 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Regretfully gave up my 99 9-3 today. After 136K miles it was costing a fortune in repairs & replacements: fuel pump ($700), electronic ignition computer ($700), air vent selector switch broke nearly 1/2 doz. times. Now the engine gaskets are leaking coolant into the crankcase, front struts need replacing, and soon it will need a new clutch. Some items (e.g. clutch) are expected but other repairs were an expensive annoyance compared to '84 Celica which this car replaced. With my 9-3's book value next to nothing, chose to avoid throwing more $ at this car; I purchased an '08 Civic EX-L instead. Conclusion: Saabs will see hi miles only if you spend big bucks to keep 'em going.

Favorite Features

Comfy leather seats, handling & pickup comparable (if not better than) a BMW

Suggested Improvements

Air vent selector switch always breaks - made a cheap plastic crap. After market parts hard to come by.

Not for everyone. But for me heck yeah!
By fl81turbozx

1999 Saab 9-3 SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

1st, let me say, Iím a car guy tried and true. My first love is a z, but this Saab is a blast! I bought the car as a commuter, good gas mileage, convertible, had no idea I was getting a well refined sports machine. I see mixed reviews, and I think saabs get a bad rap from people who don't understand what they are buying. If you donít know how to take care of a turbo car, donít buy one. If you want to compromise on maintenance (or if the previous owner did), don't buy one. If you are not enthusiastic about cars in general, buy something else. This car is an enthusiast's car. It's a blast to drive, good gas mileage is a bonus. I'm am pleasantly surprised by the 28+mpg.

Favorite Features

Much sportier than its rivals (BMW, Volvo, Mercedes). "Sportier" is not for everyone though. It's individuality Convertible!!! A downright bargain, for what you get. Front seats are very comfortable. Parts and maintenance is much cheaper than I thought. Find a local SAAB club or shop.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more room for my size 12 foot to work the clutch. Sid system. Pixels go out on some.