1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
Motorcycle alternative
By Mid life crisis car on 07/01/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my 99 Saab convertible as a second car. I brought it to a SAAB only local service shop that has taken care of all the basics. Now, I get to drive. I love this car. It has great pick up, is very comfortable, and is lots of fun. I'm not sure about other guys, but this is a great alternative to a motorcycle for me. (I tend to not pay attention when I drive!). Yes, the 9-3 has quirks and leaks, etc. But I am so tired of seeing stupid expensive 323's on the road... and this car is perfect for me.

Great on Highway, Hard on your Wallet
By ifthecar on 04/11/09 22:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible

I purchased the my 9-3 Convertible with 18K miles and now has 107K. When running, it is great on the highway, and so much fun with the top down. The great things are the stereo, very comfortable seats (could easily drive cross country). The bad things: I had it break down 3 times (would not start), and each time it would cost around $1000 to fix. The build quality is not good, and my top had to be replaced even though it is suppose to last a lifetime. Buy this car for a great ride, but expect to pay for maintenance.

Not for everyone. But for me heck yeah!
By fl81turbozx on 08/11/08 09:17 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

1st, let me say, Iím a car guy tried and true. My first love is a z, but this Saab is a blast! I bought the car as a commuter, good gas mileage, convertible, had no idea I was getting a well refined sports machine. I see mixed reviews, and I think saabs get a bad rap from people who don't understand what they are buying. If you donít know how to take care of a turbo car, donít buy one. If you want to compromise on maintenance (or if the previous owner did), don't buy one. If you are not enthusiastic about cars in general, buy something else. This car is an enthusiast's car. It's a blast to drive, good gas mileage is a bonus. I'm am pleasantly surprised by the 28+mpg.

9-3 Saab 6 years later I still love it!
By Heather Walker on 10/28/06 13:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my Saab used, it was a certified Saab with 30k miles. I have driven it all over the east coast, from Wisconsin to FL. I also drive it everyday to work. Fun and reliable, what more can you ask for from a car?

Style with a price
By Scott Simpson on 12/12/05 13:10 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

It is obvious that this is a GM vehicle. I looked at audi and BMW but settled with the saab that was thousands less. But factoring in the two times I found myself on the interstate waiting on AAA and the price of the repair bills Audi or BMW would have been such a better deal. Saab also has a problem with its AIRBAGS because I was hit head on by a truck going about 30 mph and the airbags did not even deploy! Problems with softtop leaking... fuel pump, power top not working the list goes on. Buy something else or be sure you have AAA.

Love It!
By Scott on 12/11/05 13:01 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible

I had an accident in my Saab. Since then I have sworn that I will never drive anything less! A guy did 35 MPH into my back end - never hit the brakes! I have two young children, who were not with me at the time, but had they been, they would have been ok!

I love my HO Saab!!!
By Ana on 02/23/05 12:59 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

I come from a family that have owned Saabs before I was born. This is my first Saab. I have had it over a year in Chicago and love it. It performs excellent in the snow. People can actually sit in the back seat. I was planning to keep it for just the summer, but now I can't get rid of it. The only problems have been a headlight and my A/C fan. At my last tune up they said everything looked great. I highly recommend the HO 9-3.

Not Worth it!
By llangone on 12/21/04 14:24 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I loved this car when I bought it. For the first 9 months it was great and a lot of fun to drive, then everything went down hill from there. The airbag malfunctioned and required replacement, pullies seized, the top has stopped working. The car looks great, but is not worth the headaches! My husband has sworn off Saabs for our family.

Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By psaul on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

Purchase 99 conv w/50K miles. spent $4500 replacing coil pack, conv top pistons, water pump and trip computer. Requested "good will" assistance from Saab and denied because 12 months our of warrentee. Internet forums indicate quality problems with Top and Trip computer and coil pack. Please stay away.

GM influence shines through
By bybyby on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 99 convertible (4 year lease turn in) and thought I was buying a cream puff. However, I had to replace part of the front axle as well as numerous other little things that shouldn't be happening on a car with only 40k miles. The car goes down the road great. But beware that late model Saabs are laced with GM DNA and it shows. The build quality and fit and finish is not there and is not like the Saabs of old. Although these cars are still built in Sweden; the Detroit influence (cheap and unreliable) comes through. Saab is forced to used some GM Euro parts and it shows in the car. It's a real shame what GM is doing to this once great brand of car