Used 1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

Motorcycle alternative
By Mid life crisis car

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my 99 Saab convertible as a second car. I brought it to a SAAB only local service shop that has taken care of all the basics. Now, I get to drive. I love this car. It has great pick up, is very comfortable, and is lots of fun. I'm not sure about other guys, but this is a great alternative to a motorcycle for me. (I tend to not pay attention when I drive!). Yes, the 9-3 has quirks and leaks, etc. But I am so tired of seeing stupid expensive 323's on the road... and this car is perfect for me.

Pick up, comfort, gas mileage, radio, convertible, little quirks. Not a lot of people have these cars which makes it even more fun to drive.

Better quality parts.

Great on Highway, Hard on your Wallet
By ifthecar

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible

I purchased the my 9-3 Convertible with 18K miles and now has 107K. When running, it is great on the highway, and so much fun with the top down. The great things are the stereo, very comfortable seats (could easily drive cross country). The bad things: I had it break down 3 times (would not start), and each time it would cost around $1000 to fix. The build quality is not good, and my top had to be replaced even though it is suppose to last a lifetime. Buy this car for a great ride, but expect to pay for maintenance.

Leather Seats, heated seats, great stereo

Better cup holders, HUD displays burns out all the time

Not for everyone. But for me heck yeah!
By fl81turbozx

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

1st, let me say, I’m a car guy tried and true. My first love is a z, but this Saab is a blast! I bought the car as a commuter, good gas mileage, convertible, had no idea I was getting a well refined sports machine. I see mixed reviews, and I think saabs get a bad rap from people who don't understand what they are buying. If you don’t know how to take care of a turbo car, don’t buy one. If you want to compromise on maintenance (or if the previous owner did), don't buy one. If you are not enthusiastic about cars in general, buy something else. This car is an enthusiast's car. It's a blast to drive, good gas mileage is a bonus. I'm am pleasantly surprised by the 28+mpg.

Much sportier than its rivals (BMW, Volvo, Mercedes). "Sportier" is not for everyone though. It's individuality Convertible!!! A downright bargain, for what you get. Front seats are very comfortable. Parts and maintenance is much cheaper than I thought. Find a local SAAB club or shop.

Could use a little more room for my size 12 foot to work the clutch. Sid system. Pixels go out on some.

9-3 Saab 6 years later I still love it!
By Heather Walker

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE HO Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought my Saab used, it was a certified Saab with 30k miles. I have driven it all over the east coast, from Wisconsin to FL. I also drive it everyday to work. Fun and reliable, what more can you ask for from a car?

Pick-up when merging on interstates.

Back seat much too small for real use.

Style with a price
By Scott Simpson

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

It is obvious that this is a GM vehicle. I looked at audi and BMW but settled with the saab that was thousands less. But factoring in the two times I found myself on the interstate waiting on AAA and the price of the repair bills Audi or BMW would have been such a better deal. Saab also has a problem with its AIRBAGS because I was hit head on by a truck going about 30 mph and the airbags did not even deploy! Problems with softtop leaking... fuel pump, power top not working the list goes on. Buy something else or be sure you have AAA.

The ignition key being in the center console was awesome. Also loved the heated seats and the on-board computer.

RELIABLITY! I knew my mechanic on a first name basis.