1999 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews

1999 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
Sven the Incredible
By wspcarguy on 07/07/13 15:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought my 1999 Saab 9-3 in Sept 99 and have never regretted it. Sven the Saab has never left me high and dry (unless the fuel pump or battery died). Super comfy for all riders and far better MPG than listed on the sticker. Easily averaged over 30 mpg on the hwy.

Wish I never sold it ):
By alessing on 07/22/12 11:07 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Great car, good on gas, good for young teens, traded in for Hummer H2. Wish I never did!

Love my Saab
By mazz5 on 06/13/11 07:07 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought my 1999 9-3 for 6k with 45k miles on it. Since then I have put 55k on it with minimal repairs. Probably the most economical car I could have asked for, however there are a number of things wrong with my ride right now, its literally falling apart slowly and not worth investing money in repairs. Aside from random problems, some of which are due to an accident, I still love this car and the engine would probably be good for another 100k. Would love to buy another one but all the small problems are keeping me away from Saab for awhile.

Bought new; now 11 years old
By john on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Car requires capable mechanic - not most reliable on the road after 50K. Ignition cassette crapped out at 70K ($600 for T5), seals blew at 80K ($1800.00). I'm at 88K miles today. However, gobs of fun to drive (w/5 speed). I've installed many handling fixes (1999 base version I thought was poor) and it's great fun now. I recently drove 2007 BMW 328i wagon, 2010 MINI Clubman, 2010 Audi A3, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen, and 2011 VW GTI and decided to keep 'Helga'. None improved on the room, comfort or dramatically in handling to my old SAAB - so what if $2K yearly on repairs?; it's still cheaper than buying/leasing $25-$36K cars above. An enigmatic car, right for me.

Fun and quick, reliable and great mpg!
By nott-me on 08/19/10 18:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had the car about 2.5 years and total of 36,000 miles. Fun to drive, turbo is great! I have the 2 door version, and the trunk area will swallow anything with the seats folded! Repairs are usually happen like clockwork every 10,000 miles on my example but worth the upkeep in enjoyment and uniqueness. I have 124,000 on the odometer now.

Loved my '99 Saab
By Marie on 07/13/10 06:50 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought my '99 Saab with 30,000 miles on it, had it for almost 8 years and brought it to the junkyard with 160,000 miles. It was in need of a few mechanical repairs which, although expensive I would have gladly made since I am sure the car had much life left. Unfortunately, the frame had rot on it. I learned a valuable lesson to wash salt off my car in the winter. The car was fun to drive and I will miss it. The repairs are expensive-I almost died when I paid for my first break job. However, the expensive maintenance is balanced by not having to make major repairs. At 150,000 miles I made my first repair-a fuel pump, that cost $900. I always had it maintained by a Saab specialist.

Precision Piece of Machinery
By Edan on 06/25/10 06:24 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

This is my second Saab, but my first GM built one. I have had it for roughly 10k miles now. In that time I've been plagued by problems. Including a front end shake at high speeds that I haven't been able to pinpoint or solve at the cost of thousands of dollars. Otherwise, its got a lot of go and decent gas mileage. The newer Saab hatchback doesn't compare though to the older ones. Also the ride quality is fairly poor, my mom's base model Camry from 1995 is much smoother and quieter on the road. If you like to do your own maintenance, then this is a good car for you. If not, it will just bum you out.

By Far The Best Car I Have Ever Owned!
By Melinda25 on 02/03/10 06:46 AM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I purchased my 1999 Saab used and with high mileage(113,000 miles)in 2007 when my Audi broke down. Since buying my Saab I have only had to replace the idler pulley and belt($320.00 which included towing, was my mechanic not Saab "expert" mechanic and nearing the end of 3rd year of ownership) and do regular maintenance on it. About 1 month ago a stolen car him my mothers parked Volvo at 40+ mph causing the Volvo to hit my Saab that was parked about 1 foot in front of it. My mothers Volvo was totaled, it folded in the front and back, however my Saab drove away from the accident with only $43.00 in damage! I would recommend this car to anyone! My mother is actually looking for one now.

Where have the hatchbacks gone?
By mc on 01/09/10 17:45 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car to travel to bicycle races. I wanted something fast (turbo), with good economy (my car gets close about 30mpg highway), comfortable, and with ample interior space for two bikes. This car fit the bill. I was surprised by how reliable it has been. I bought it used in 2001, with 30K miles, the car now has 110K, and the only things I've had to fix are the ignition and serpentine belt. Everything else has been pretty routine (like batteries). An excellent car -- and for some reason, BMW drivers try to drag race my wife when she's driving it .. and they're surprised when the turbo gets going and she drops them. :)

I'll Really Miss this Car
By RBG on 09/04/09 13:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Purchased new and drove it for 10 years and 187,000 miles. I expect it had another 100,000 miles in it. It ended service prematurely after it was rear ended. The vehicle did its job and all occupants walked away with no or very minor injuries. Thanks engineers and assemblers! I'll really miss this car. It did so many things well-a good blend of design, performance, build quality, economy and utility. And it was FUN to drive everyday. Others correctly point out proper routine maintenance is required. It's not necessarily expensive. Like all vehicles Saabs have quirks and some common part failures. To me they were either endearing or minor annoyances. I'm looking for another one.