Great little commuter car
By 9-2Xtra on
2005 Saab 9-2X Linear 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
I got this car to save on gas, but have fun while doing it. It is dead- on-target for me. I haven't tested the AWD in snow yet, but you can't make it slip in the wet at all. Also, this car is closely related to Subaru Impreza/WRX, so performance modifications from mild to monstrous are readily possible - the parts are there. I really feel like I took 20 years off my age when I bought this car. It is that much fun to drive. The Linear doesn't require premium fuel like the Aero, either, so that tradeoff worked in my favor as well. If you can find one of these, you owe it to yourself to test-drive it.
Favorite Features
AWD, and I like the seats, though they took some getting used to. I also like the peppiness of the engine (with the manual trans) as well as its fuel mileage (about 28 in mostly highway driving). The Xenon headlights are beyond incredible as well. I will probably not buy another car without them.
Suggested Improvements
The center console is too small to store much, and too low for an armrest. The car is still noisy, though much quieter than a Subaru. The floormats wore out in a month, but are easily replaced. Finally, the clutch pedal feel is very vague, making hill starts tougher than necessary.