Eleanor will be missed...
By dssquare85 on
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
I purchased my Aero used with 30,000K on her. I immediately fell in love and still miss her to this day. I had Eleanor for almost 3 years. She gave me no problems and put nothing but smiles on my face while I owned her. It was worth the expensive insurance, premium fuel and lackluster mpg. Unfortunately, the engine decided to blow at 57,000K with regularly scheduled maintenance. Thousands of dollars later it just wasn't the same and was forced to trade her in. I gave Subaru another chance and traded Eleanor in for '11 Legacy in May 2011.
Favorite Features
The sound of the boxer motor, I would shut the radio and open my window all the way when driving in a parking garage or tunnel just to hear the boxer burble. The seats were exceptionally comfortable and never had a complaint. The handling, the acceleration, the small size, the wagon versatility and the fact it looked like nothing else on the road. It was also very easy to open up the dashboard when I installed an aftermarket radio. Plus, the best part was the AWD as Explorers would be sliding and I would drive through like it was nothing, especially with my new tires.
Suggested Improvements
MPG could have been better but it really wasn't that bad considering how much performance I had. Something went wrong in my motor that caused the timing belt tensioner to snap which caused my engine to blow at 57,000K. Subaru needs to build a better quality turbo. Yes, I did regular maintenance. It's unfortunate, but a car like this will never exist again as GM and Subaru have ended their agreement.