2005 Saab 9-2X 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - 9-2X

2005 Saab 9-2X - Consumer Review

9-2X
By David on

2005 Saab 9-2X Aero 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 9-2x is not an Audi quattro, or an Evo, or an STi. But it doesn't have the price tag of those other AWD performance cars. What it does have is the basics that the WRX gives you, minus some of the WRX's boy racer bug-eyed-ness, plus a little swedish minimalism along with a superior warranty and maintenance program - for a few thousand dollars less than a new WRX invoice! Of course, I'm talking post-GM employee discount pricing where the numbers went south of $20K. No car is without fault, but this one suits my daily driving demands (both rationally and emotionally) better than any vehicle I've driven in the last 10 years.

Favorite Features

Has to be the turbo when the tach is between 3 to 7 grand with Wide Open Throttle. I defy you to get closer to sport bike power-to-weight ratios for less money in a new car! Oh, and I really like the rear window washer, something my Audi wagon didn't have.

Suggested Improvements

Close ratio six speed manual. The gear spacing in the 5 speed is such that you have to push the car near redline to ensure that the next gear catches sans turbo lag. A higher quality stock speaker system with better bass definition would be nice.