Used 2005 Saab 9-2X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saab 9-2x - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-2X model:

180k and still love it
By matthewakamatt

2005 Saab 9-2X Aero 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Saabaru is a great blend of sportiness, reliability, and practicality. It's sporty and powerful enough to stay entertaining for years. I really enjoy the on boost power, but there's not much low end torque. Handling is good enough for the street, but it's not really at home on the racetrack. Mine is still completely stock, and has been incredibly reliable. I've got almost 180k miles on it, and have only had a few repairs in all that time. I really like how practical it is. I frequently load lots of stuff in the back and tow a 5x8 utility trailer with it for household projects.

Favorite Features

AWD is great in the snow, turbo power, wagon carrying capacity

Suggested Improvements

The back seat does not have enough leg room for adults to sit comfortably. Even with a turbo and AWD, 25 mpg isn't great for a small car.

Keeps on ticking!.
By double75

2005 Saab 9-2X Linear 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2005 Saab 92x Linear Automatic. I bought it way back when they had the GM employee discount for everybody. So I bought it instead of the Subaru Impreza.the mileage is over 266,000 miles and she keeps on ticking. I makes sure she is dealer tuned every year and I change the oil every 5,000 miles. I've had the rear struts changed. Right as I type this i have her in the shop. I busted three Lug Studs on the left driver rear hub while driving. While i was checking the proper torque on the other lugs, I busted another stud on the front left hub. The dealer busted two studs about two months ago on the back right rear tire during service. The car has been good to me and my family.

Favorite Features

Compact car for city driving. I'm averaging 29-30 mpg on the highway. I'm not a lead foot. I love the wagon!. I've placed a brand new toilet with the box in the rear. it's great in the snow. It's been a dependable car but i will be trading it in for a Subaru Forrester this year.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power for merging into highway traffic. Better Lug Bolts. between the dealer and I, We have broken 5 lug studs. All are being replaced right now for safety.

Eleanor will be missed...
By dssquare85

2005 Saab 9-2X Aero 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my Aero used with 30,000K on her. I immediately fell in love and still miss her to this day. I had Eleanor for almost 3 years. She gave me no problems and put nothing but smiles on my face while I owned her. It was worth the expensive insurance, premium fuel and lackluster mpg. Unfortunately, the engine decided to blow at 57,000K with regularly scheduled maintenance. Thousands of dollars later it just wasn't the same and was forced to trade her in. I gave Subaru another chance and traded Eleanor in for '11 Legacy in May 2011.

Favorite Features

The sound of the boxer motor, I would shut the radio and open my window all the way when driving in a parking garage or tunnel just to hear the boxer burble. The seats were exceptionally comfortable and never had a complaint. The handling, the acceleration, the small size, the wagon versatility and the fact it looked like nothing else on the road. It was also very easy to open up the dashboard when I installed an aftermarket radio. Plus, the best part was the AWD as Explorers would be sliding and I would drive through like it was nothing, especially with my new tires.

Suggested Improvements

MPG could have been better but it really wasn't that bad considering how much performance I had. Something went wrong in my motor that caused the timing belt tensioner to snap which caused my engine to blow at 57,000K. Subaru needs to build a better quality turbo. Yes, I did regular maintenance. It's unfortunate, but a car like this will never exist again as GM and Subaru have ended their agreement.

Good First Car
By mrdragon016

2005 Saab 9-2X Linear 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought My Saabaru a couple weeks back and everytime i drive it, it brings a huge smile on my face. Its got plenty of kick and can turn on a dime. with a 4 banger as well as AWD its a amazing little car

Favorite Features

HEATED SEATS

Suggested Improvements

wish it had the saab ignition in the middle console, also had more original saab components

Saabaru
By rkymtnhgh

2005 Saab 9-2X Linear 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

You get everything you expect from a Subaru with some extra creature comforts and Saab style. The AWD is fantastic in inclement weather and handling and highway ride is impressive. My chief complaint is the performance of the automatic transmission. It tends to be sluggish around town and slow to kick down, especially from third gear. Family requirements necessitated an automatic, but I'd recommend the 5spd manual. Overall build quality is good, but the exterior paint chips easily and some of the interior materials could stand improvement. Two tone fabric looks slick, but stains show readily. Rear seat leg room is limited, so adult passengers may be uncomfortable on longer trips.

Favorite Features

AWD; 2.5L boxer engine; reliability; steering feel; handling; seat comfort; exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

More responsive automatic transmission; better paint quality