Used 2014 Ram Promaster Cargo Van Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ram Promaster Cargo Van

View reviews for a specific Promaster Cargo Van model:

So far so good.
By Joseph DeLacruz

2014 Ram Promaster Cargo Van 1500 Low Roof 3dr Van w/136" Wheelbase (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've had this van since December of 2013 and have only racked up 34K miles on it. I don't use it commercially, it was just a better replacement for my full size pickup. It's basically used as a REAL sport utility vehicle for my dirt bikes, kayak, snowboarding, camping and hauling things once in a while. I'm 5'8" and find the seating position very comfy, longest drive I've done in one day was 550 miles. I love the cavernous interior, it was the widest and tallest of all the low roof contemporary euro style vans, with the lowest step up height. It's performed well in snow due to the front wheel drive (which was a selling point for me, I only wish there was a 4WD version). So far the only problem I had was front parking lights contacts corroding, but it was fixed during a recall, it had a bunch of other various recalls that were fixed at the same time (so I hope). The other HUGE gripe I have was when filling up with gas I have to hold the trigger the whole time because the gas trigger lock unlocks probably due to the gas filler hose angle (?), but it only happens in California with the vapor recovery boot. Ive averged 20mpg, which was alot better than my pickup. Time will tell if I get any of the problems mentioned in the other review, but my experience have been positive so far. I do all of my maintenance on all of my vehicles because I'm a mechanic by trade and don't trust dealerships. I think if you read into specific vehicle forums, you'll get a better perspective of how owners think of their vehicles, because many people that give reviews on automotive sites are just the mad ones with that have had problems.

2014 Ram Promaster 3500 - stay away van
By Cornel Plescan

2014 Ram Promaster Cargo Van 3500 High Roof 3dr Van w/Extended Length (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Many people leaves reviews and empty their frustration, but I want to share this:
I bought my 2014 Ram Promaster 3500 cargo van in March 2015, at 140 miles, today June 1st, 2016 have already 125 600 miles. ...I am spending most of my time on the road doing expediting. ..
I tried to make it as much as comfortable for me, which this van can offer you good option...
My dissapointments are:
1...not very good on fuel
2...over 3,000 lbs doesn't perform well
3...the A/C is not powerful enough if you are in heat zones
4....at 125,000 the transmission broke down after I went to dealer and did the flush, just after two weeks, and of course is not in a warranty anymore
5....not enough parts, hard to find parts and accessories, even the air filters expensive but hard to find even at the dealer
6.....start leaking trough the roof when sits under the rain
7....many dealers are not equipped or authorized to work on these vans
8....the headlights low beam light bulbs every 4-5 weeks are burning

This car it is burden on my shoulder without making up to it, I really don't know what I should do, I still owe 4 years of payments and I am afraid that it would not last....

My advice, not recommended. ..

please do your homework
By brad darrell

2014 Ram Promaster Cargo Van 2500 High Roof 3dr Van w/136" Wheelbase (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I needed a vehicle fast due to my other 2 vehicles breaking down/ a 99 chevy 2500 with 231k and a mercedes sprinter with 340k. I purchased a2014 promaster with 59 miles on the odometer, after 1 month I had to bring it in for service. aka catalytic converter that took a month to get my vehicle back. Now 6months later etc light and check engine light comes on and I have to have it towed to the dealer. Dealer told me a minimum of 1 week before it could even be looked at, obviously a lot of problems 15 k on the truck and 2nd time in the shop , just do a little research ..not sure when I will get the truck back....By the way the truck was doing an avg of 25 to 26 mpg before catalytic converter replacement , now averaging 18 to 21 mpg highway.

Don't buy a Ram Promaster
By Mitch Romero

Only a Promaster dealer can work on these vans and They are far and few. They don't tell you that when you buy them. Very few dodge dealers are authorized to work on these vans. They have to have bought into the Promaster franchise. Therefore service can be slow and awful because the dealer knows the next Promaster dealer can be hundreds of miles away. We purchased Three 2014 Promaster vans they have all been to the repair center several times more than our fleet of 2005 Chevy vans to date. Most of our cheverlots have never had breakdowns beside general maintaince. The back up camera on one Promaster has going out on one at 39,000 miles, transmission out at 42K miles, rear tail lights continue to burn. Every one of them leak water through the back doors when it rains. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE, WE HAVE ALSO HAD NUMEROUS RECALLS FROM DODGE. They never keep the truck for less than a week at time two to three weeks in most cases. We are a service Company and are going to get rid of all of them, which we will take a big lose because we have our Vans wrapped and shelving unit install inside them. We as a Company are Finish with Dodge!!!!!!

The Yellow Van atop says much, fruit is HIGH!
By Dennis Bitterman

The radio stays son forever, after servicing an account it is still on.
When getting an order the cargo lights goes out way to soon, when you turn them on manually, ~ oops there still on when you leave
You have to turn on the Truck in order to run the printer, ~ oops I left the key on
Every time you run a printer or some other device you have to turn the key on ~ I hope glo-plugs don't burn up premature
try to find your ProMaster in the dark beings the park lights don't come on idling in the winter ~ people usually don't leave their headlights on
The manual says on pg 69 that if you have the diesel it has three heating devices, 1-Block, 2-Transmission, and require a cord and then
The users manual says on pg 69 if you have the diesel you might have to go to your dealer to get a cord ~
I ordered one and paid $169 installed, however lo-and-behold; there was none on the ProMaster ~~~
How deceptive can a company be?
I have no good words for a ProMaster, I am going back to a Ford product in our Trucks
Dennis Bitterman