2015 Ram 1500 Diesel Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Ram 1500 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

HFE 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel 8-speed Automatic 6.4 ft. Bed - (3 reviews )

EcoDiesel tows 217,000 miles
By VernDiesel

2015 Ram 1500 Diesel HFE 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

2014 Big Horn 4WD 3.92 gear 6.4 bed used commercially. I've got 217,500 on mine most of the miles have an Airstream, TT, boat, cargo trailer in tow sometimes with a Harley or other cargo to deliver in the bed. Repairs have been a light switch & an alignment both at 196,000. The engine is quiet & smooth as is the 8 speed transmission. At 65 mph unloaded it averages 30 mpg. Towing a typical 26' Airstream TT from Ohio to the west coast at 65 nets between 15.0 & 17.0 mpg depending upon headwind. Its an efficient & comfortable long distance commuter or moderate weight tower. The quiet smooth ride is more road compliant and handles better than any other truck but is too soft under a load without either the factory air suspension or supplementation from one of the aftermarket axle to frame air bag companies. (TLC, Timber Grove, Air Lift) Mine benefits from an aftermarket tune with an engine brake for safely descending grades with a trailer. Still have original brakes. Truck also has optional trailer brake controller. Tune also provided some power and mileage and minimalized re circulation of EGR soot. Never had any emissions problems. The 1500 platform as well as the motor has its limitations if you plan to tow 9,000 pounds or 33+ foot TT you would be better served by a HD. Short of that its a great truck and I would buy another one.

No complaints on FCA
By Randy Veatch

2015 Ram 1500 Diesel HFE 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Went from 2010 F150 to 2013 Ram with Hemi, to this 2015 Ram 1500 with Eco Diesel. Been happy with Ram, fuel economy on the Eco Diesel is good (21 city, 25 hwy) but the Hemi was more fun! My experience with Dodge / Ram / Jeep has been good over the years, from 1995 to now between my wife and I having Ford, Mercury, Chevy, and several Dodge / Ram products and my wife now has a 2014 Grand Cherokee. We have had just as many problems with other brands (fuel problems in 2010 F150, bearing went of rear diff in 2007 Tahoe) and have no complaints on CDJR products. Love the quiet of the diesel in my 2015 Ram, and the 8 speed transmission in the 2013 and the 2015 are the best transmission I have ever driven. They could have a little better quality of the plastic on the glove box, and I miss my glasses case in the roof of my Ford, but overall been very satisfied.

Are you kidding me? On a $54,000 pickup?
By Ryan

2015 Ram 1500 Diesel HFE 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

It's a Chrysler, so reliability is poor. I trade premium pickups every two years and prior to this MoPar I had a Ford F-250 and two GMC 2500 HD's before that. First the Ecodiesel and 8 speed transmission are awesome. My actual fuel mileage is what Ram says it should be. Other than expensive oil changes and fuel filter replacements required every 15,000 miles, I have no complaints as to the drive train. The product as a whole irritates me often. With the last 3 pickups over the past 7 years I've never had an issue with recalls or repairs with the GMC's or Fords (not counting that piece of crap 6.0 Powerstroke Ford built 4 vehicles ago) but the recalls and breakdowns of this Chrysler irritate me. A sensor took 5 days to repair and resulted in the Ram being hauled from my home on a truck. Ram refused to take it to the dealer where I bought it and stuck me with a local village idiot. I drove 50 miles to avoid the local dealer and buy the truck because the local dealer is the village idiot, Ram can't haul a $54K pickup an extra 50 miles? Now, the real reason for me going to the trouble to write a review about a truck that is actually pretty nice. The navigation.... map updates are $150!!! Are you kidding me? I can buy a Garmin and stick it on the windshield with free lifetime updates for a little more than $150 and the Ram radio that is an extra $1000 for navigation costs me $150 to update? Unbelievable. Stick it to me Chrysler, see if I come back. There are other really nice pickups out there. I'll probably have one of those others next time.