2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ram 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1500 model:

Smoking & Burning Oil at 8800 miles
By mike_d3

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport 4dr Crew Cab 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I have the 2014 Ram 1500 BigHorn Crew Cab with the 5.7L Hemi. I purchased it new and have approximately 8800 miles on the truck. If the vehicle sits more than 30 minutes, when I start it I get a huge puff of blue smoke and there is carbon/soot all in both tail pipes. The brand new Hemi is clearly burning oil. Either I got a lemon, or you should stay away from this gigantic hunk of junk!! Ram has been incredibly defensive and hard to work with so far. Biding my time and following the process to solidify my lemon law claim if they don't step up.

Favorite Features

I love the styling, both interior and exterior of the truck which is why I ultimately decided on Ram over Ford . . . . . . but wishing I had that Ford engine right about now.

Suggested Improvements

That's easy . . . . make a quality engine that doesn't burn oil. Then I would love this truck.

Great truck, comfortable, well made
By 2farout

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I have a2014 BIG HORN Crew Cab 4x4 3.6 V6 305 HP and 269 lb's of torque. The 3.6 requires less maintenance than the other 2 engines. There is good power and is quick from the start and passing. I especially like the dial shifting knob, out of the way easy to use. Gas mpg is 22-24 in 75 degree + temp, and 19-21 in lower temps. Fit & finish are very good. Ride is comfortable, Crew Cab is great for 6 men. Plenty of storage bins, & under seat. NO problems in almost 15K. Goodyear tires are City street tires only. Good discounts,& rebates. Most buyers have mind made up on brand before they buy. Brand loyalty in trucks is unchangeable, I think.

Favorite Features

V6 engine is great. The 8 speed transmission is flawless, and is years ahead of Ford & Chevy. The Shift Knob is so easy to select a gear and located out of the way, but easy to reach. MPG is excellent because of the perfect matched gear selection of the V6 engine and the 8 speed automatic transmission, which is now heavier duty and 355 gears are now available. Interior materials are a very good quality and made to last longer and easy to vlean. Fit and finish are very good. Paint is smooth and no flaws.

Suggested Improvements

1. Side steps are a must as the truck is much higher that other brands. 2. A fold up step for the tail gate to get in the back of the truck is needed to get in the back. 3. A USB or 115 volt plug in for those in the back seat is sadly lacking. 4. Better truck tires instead of Good Year passenger tires need to be on the truck from the factory. 5. Match GM made trucks for 24,000 of oild, tire rotation, ect.

Made the switch
By johneb09

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

We traded our 2012 Silverado in on this new Ram a few months ago, and so far, love the truck. The Chevys 5.3 ltr had very sluggish acceleration, and an irratic shifting 6 speed transmission. I test drove another new 2014 Silverado, a 2014 F150, and then the Ram. The 2014 Chevy was once again, sluggish. The Ford was ok, but the Rams performance and handling, IMO, was the one that was the most enjoyable to drive. The acceleration is amazing, and the 8 speed transmission is precise. The Hemi engine is powerful, yet we have been getting 25 MPG on the highway. Pretty amazing truck all the way around, plus it was priced thousands less than the Ford & Chevy.

Favorite Features

back up cam, voice activated radio

Ram 1500 3.6L V6 10,000 Mile Review
By mjmahaffy

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I leased a 4 door, 4x4 Ram 1500 with the 3.6L V6 about 10 month ago. I drive it as my daily commuter to work and use it for small projects around our property. Average fuel economy is about 20MPG in mostly highway driving which I think is fantastic for a full size 4x4 truck. It hasn't been to the dealership for anything other than the initial oil change and tire rotation.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, size, capability, comfort, quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

Nightmare
By flalum06

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.6 ft SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I have never had more trouble in my life then with this new ECO Diesel! Pulled out of the lot with 16 miles on it check engine light came on. Took it in 3 times before it was fixed. Then I finally got to drive it and the drivers side window leaked and I could not put fuel into the truck without getting a bath or having fuel run all down the side of the truck or vapor locking. Has been in and out of the shop for well over a month (this will be the 3rd time) and they are telling me they do not know what is wrong with it. LEMON! Will never buy another dodge again. Called Dodge numerous times and they are SLOW... I spent 41,000 on a truck that now has 2100 miles and I can not even drive it.

Favorite Features

Interior, smooth riding

Suggested Improvements

Customer service, fuel system, etc.