2014 Ram 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ram 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1500 model:

Smoking & Burning Oil at 8800 miles
By mike_d3

2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4dr Crew Cab 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I have the 2014 Ram 1500 BigHorn Crew Cab with the 5.7L Hemi. I purchased it new and have approximately 8800 miles on the truck. If the vehicle sits more than 30 minutes, when I start it I get a huge puff of blue smoke and there is carbon/soot all in both tail pipes. The brand new Hemi is clearly burning oil. Either I got a lemon, or you should stay away from this gigantic hunk of junk!! Ram has been incredibly defensive and hard to work with so far. Biding my time and following the process to solidify my lemon law claim if they don't step up.

I love the styling, both interior and exterior of the truck which is why I ultimately decided on Ram over Ford . . . . . . but wishing I had that Ford engine right about now.

That's easy . . . . make a quality engine that doesn't burn oil. Then I would love this truck.

Great truck, comfortable, well made
By 2farout

2014 Ram 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I have a2014 BIG HORN Crew Cab 4x4 3.6 V6 305 HP and 269 lb's of torque. The 3.6 requires less maintenance than the other 2 engines. There is good power and is quick from the start and passing. I especially like the dial shifting knob, out of the way easy to use. Gas mpg is 22-24 in 75 degree + temp, and 19-21 in lower temps. Fit & finish are very good. Ride is comfortable, Crew Cab is great for 6 men. Plenty of storage bins, & under seat. NO problems in almost 15K. Goodyear tires are City street tires only. Good discounts,& rebates. Most buyers have mind made up on brand before they buy. Brand loyalty in trucks is unchangeable, I think.

V6 engine is great. The 8 speed transmission is flawless, and is years ahead of Ford & Chevy. The Shift Knob is so easy to select a gear and located out of the way, but easy to reach. MPG is excellent because of the perfect matched gear selection of the V6 engine and the 8 speed automatic transmission, which is now heavier duty and 355 gears are now available. Interior materials are a very good quality and made to last longer and easy to vlean. Fit and finish are very good. Paint is smooth and no flaws.

1. Side steps are a must as the truck is much higher that other brands. 2. A fold up step for the tail gate to get in the back of the truck is needed to get in the back. 3. A USB or 115 volt plug in for those in the back seat is sadly lacking. 4. Better truck tires instead of Good Year passenger tires need to be on the truck from the factory. 5. Match GM made trucks for 24,000 of oild, tire rotation, ect.

2014 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
By canoe3

2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I've had my pickup for a few months now, approx 5,000 miles on it. Never all it seems pretty good, but there are a couple of annoying things - it was right around $30k (I'm in Canada). It came without mud flaps, front tow hooks or any other trim. I understand you could get those by paying for a higher trim level, but I feel all trucks should come standard with those (they are on the F150). Aftermarket was fine though. My biggest issue is with the fuel economy, which I expected to be not great as its a v8, but it's actually around 14mpg easy driving in the city, 16mpg on the highway. also, stock tires are horrible - if it rains (or aaagh - snows!) you're all over the road.

Look / appearance, ease of entry, decent ride.

Lose the tailgate design (projects out to far, prone to damage). Needs better fuel economy and stock tires. Basic packages should include mud flaps and tow hooks. Came with headlights set way too high (had to adjust).

Love my Ram pickup!
By chris303

2014 Ram 1500 Tradesman 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I bought my Ram 1500 new in November of '13. After 26,000 miles, I can report only 1 repair (oil pressure sending unit fixed under warranty). Gas mileage on a recent trip from Wisconsin to Florida varied from 20.5 to 25 mpg. My Tradesman trimmed truck came with so much standard equipment, I don't know why anybody would need to spend more! This truck rides and handles like a big American sedan. The 8 speed automatic works great, though I have caught it napping at times when kicked down. My only complaint is I wish the seats had lumbar support for my middle-aged lower back, but I suppose the higher trim levels may. It's no surprise Ram won Motor Trend truck of the year twice!

Power, towing and hauling capacities. Gas mileage. Good looking exterior and interior. Gorgeous deep cherry red paint on mine.

Lower back support on seats, map lights in Tradesman trim. A real compact disc player which no Chrysler product seems to offer anymore!

Made the switch
By johneb09

2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

We traded our 2012 Silverado in on this new Ram a few months ago, and so far, love the truck. The Chevys 5.3 ltr had very sluggish acceleration, and an irratic shifting 6 speed transmission. I test drove another new 2014 Silverado, a 2014 F150, and then the Ram. The 2014 Chevy was once again, sluggish. The Ford was ok, but the Rams performance and handling, IMO, was the one that was the most enjoyable to drive. The acceleration is amazing, and the 8 speed transmission is precise. The Hemi engine is powerful, yet we have been getting 25 MPG on the highway. Pretty amazing truck all the way around, plus it was priced thousands less than the Ford & Chevy.

back up cam, voice activated radio