Used 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 1500 model:

Most Helpful|
My First Dodge
By btobdan

2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Longhorn Edition 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

Being my first truck I had no known expectations. I checked out the Ford F150, The GMC, The Chevy Silverado, Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan. Dodge was not even on my list. After reviewing the trucks above I decided it was between GMC and Ford. On the way home from test driving the Ford for a second time I pulled into the Dodge dealership and was introduced to the Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab. Even before I test drove it I was immediately impressed with the features and the overall impression that the trucks interior was much larger and wider than the other trucks. The I took it for a test drive and once again I was amazed at the difference in comfort this truck has in comparison.

Favorite Features

The Uconnect is awesome. I have Ford Sync in my explorer but this is better. The room between the front seat passengers make you feel as if your sitting in first class on a 777. The front end design took some time to get use to but now it sets it apart from all the other trucks on the road. Hemi, 20in Tires, 120 V outlet, Starting car from remote or smart phone app.

Suggested Improvements

Between my boat and this Hemi I am no longer on Al Gores Christmas list.

2013 Laramie Longhorn
By bparisi

Beautiful and comfortable, purchased as executive transport and winter vehicle. Handling in snow is excellent with 4WD Auto.

Favorite Features

Remote start, heated steering wheel for cold mornings. Interior comfort, styling and space. Tailgate locks with central locking system. Sound system and UConnect.

Suggested Improvements

Better text functionality with uConnect for iPhones. Upgrade firmware please. Cannot reply to texts via uConnect with an iPhone, nor does it display who sent you a text, only speaks it or displays text message. Is does however speak 'laughing out loud' when someone texts lol, which I thought was slick. Better side rails basically useless.

This is a luxury truck, not a job site truck
By eichler34

2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Longhorn Edition 4dr Crew Cab 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I've got 8000 miles on my truck now, it's white with gold two tone, with the cattle tan interior. I intentionally avoided the laser etched filigree seats as to me, it would have been too much country. Options I have are the 8 speed rotary dial transmission, the multi-level air suspension, Rambox storage, and each of those options to me are an absolute necessity when getting this top of the line model.

Favorite Features

The air ride gives so much cushion and comfort, you feel like you are gliding, not driving. It's great for my wife who's had 2 back surgeries. The Rambox was needed because I want my truck clean at all times. No duffle bags, basketballs, groceries in my cab, and the rambox handles all of that stuff. While it shrinks your cargo room in the bed, it's so worth it. The 8 speed transmission is a simple idea, more gears means lowering the rpm's needed to climb into the next gear, which makes the ride more smooth, quiet, and fuel efficient. The Uconnect system is the best. It blows my wifes 2012 range rover system out of the water. The ability to receive and reply to texts via voice is huge.

Suggested Improvements

This one is easy. The Fuel estimates of 15/21 are full of it. It's my only complaint. On the highway, I do get between 19.5-21 mpg. In the city, I have never gotten better than 13.2, and they claim it's 15. You will not get 15, ever unless you invest in a cold air intake and a chip for the engine (which would void your warranty). I love everything about this truck, but that combined 17 mpg is really 15. To me, that matters, to others maybe not so much.

The best and worst
By janix

2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

Hemi. I've owned 3 hemi vehicles: Charger, Challenger, Ram. I've put a lot of miles on the hemi and know how reliable they are, very! Never once had an issue. Yes, they make noises such as ticking and will from day one. They are bullet proof. No burning oil, no cut-outs, lots and lots of power. In the Ram with the windows up, it's very quiet. I mean VERY quiet. Compared against our Porsche Cayenne and Infinity G35; the Ram is the most Quiet, I kid you not. The ride is very smooth. This is easily our favorite car. Nothing like working hard, loading that truck up with supplies to finish our yard, and still having more power and better gas mileage than our Cayenne. Grows on you!!!

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the lack of NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness). This truck is so quiet and so smooth it surprises you. The transmission too. I don't have the 8 speed; wish I did. Haven't had any issues with my trans and LOVE the computer shift points. The tow-haul mode is awesome. The computer changes the shift points and they're perfect. If you slow down with a load, the transmission downshifts with no jerking, engine rev matches and it's like the perfect simulated heel-toe while pressing the brake. The torque is fantastic, was shocked how easily it pulls. Shift points up hills are perfect. Air Conditioning is also really good, better than our G35 and Cayenne.

Suggested Improvements

This is an improvement to you if you buy it. Get some air bags. If you can afford it pay for the air ride; it's a reliable system. Big rig trucks use air rides and from what I've read they didn't skimp on the Rams air suspension. The coils will sag. For $300 you can install air bags inside your coils that are adjustable. It'll keep your ride from sagging too much. If you pull a big load get a tow bar like everyone should anyway. The bags will level the truck like one with leaf springs, but you'll want a tow bar because it's the proper and safe thing to do. Speaking of, jumped in an f-150 and was shocked by the body roll just jumping in. The Ram with coils somehow doesn't roll as much.

Best looking pickup out there (IMHO)
By ishepperd

I'm not a pickup guy but they've gotten so much nicer over the last 10 years that I reconsidered. I'm also a Ford guy and swore I'd never by a Chrysler product. But the Ram 1500 has great styling and features across the whole line. The Longhorn is just nicer looking than the tip-top F150 Limited. Head-turning styling with rugged good looks outside, and a luxury car interior.

Favorite Features

Not much not to love about the Longhorn. I have the two-tone paint and the gold wheel inserts match the lower body trim. Love it. Dash and interior door panels are just beautiful. Uconnect is great too. Love the touch screen. But the seats are the thing that clinched the deal for me. Laser etched Filagree design. I tell my buddies it is the Brokeback Mountain edition. Manly on the outside and "fabulous" on the inside. I miss the old days when you the seat fabric in a car brochure took a full page unto itself.

Suggested Improvements

Front parking sensors so you don't get too close to that pole. Blind spot warning indicators.