Used 2013 Ram 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ram 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1500 model:

The 8 speed makes this truck, along with the Interior.....
By 2013laramie

2013 Ram 1500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I am in love with the 13 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 8speed Hemi! The engine and 8speed trans is buttery smooth and the 8 speed allows you to really harness the 400hp hemi making it VERY fun to drive. The interior is rated TOP TEN in the world versus any other vehicle on the road! Yes, it is that nice. I drove the 6.2l and Ecoboost Ford F150 and while it was good, the trans is nothing close to the 8 speed and the interior is cheesy at best. I drove the 2014 Chevy and with all the vibration and recall issues,I would not touch it with a 50ft pole, not when spending 45k+. My best advice is, don't think of this as a RAM of old, this is a completely new animal. Very Awesome! MPG is also unreal 17.5ave!!

8.4 Uconnect infotainment system, HEMI, 8 Speed Trans, Ridiculously nice interior. Comfortable ride.

Better tires off the lot, the goodyears are aweful. Also make sure you road force balance tires.

The best and worst
By janix

2013 Ram 1500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

Hemi. I've owned 3 hemi vehicles: Charger, Challenger, Ram. I've put a lot of miles on the hemi and know how reliable they are, very! Never once had an issue. Yes, they make noises such as ticking and will from day one. They are bullet proof. No burning oil, no cut-outs, lots and lots of power. In the Ram with the windows up, it's very quiet. I mean VERY quiet. Compared against our Porsche Cayenne and Infinity G35; the Ram is the most Quiet, I kid you not. The ride is very smooth. This is easily our favorite car. Nothing like working hard, loading that truck up with supplies to finish our yard, and still having more power and better gas mileage than our Cayenne. Grows on you!!!

My favorite feature is the lack of NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness). This truck is so quiet and so smooth it surprises you. The transmission too. I don't have the 8 speed; wish I did. Haven't had any issues with my trans and LOVE the computer shift points. The tow-haul mode is awesome. The computer changes the shift points and they're perfect. If you slow down with a load, the transmission downshifts with no jerking, engine rev matches and it's like the perfect simulated heel-toe while pressing the brake. The torque is fantastic, was shocked how easily it pulls. Shift points up hills are perfect. Air Conditioning is also really good, better than our G35 and Cayenne.

This is an improvement to you if you buy it. Get some air bags. If you can afford it pay for the air ride; it's a reliable system. Big rig trucks use air rides and from what I've read they didn't skimp on the Rams air suspension. The coils will sag. For $300 you can install air bags inside your coils that are adjustable. It'll keep your ride from sagging too much. If you pull a big load get a tow bar like everyone should anyway. The bags will level the truck like one with leaf springs, but you'll want a tow bar because it's the proper and safe thing to do. Speaking of, jumped in an f-150 and was shocked by the body roll just jumping in. The Ram with coils somehow doesn't roll as much.

Best truck for the money
By zaretroc

2013 Ram 1500 HFE 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased this model in 9/13. This truck has the 3.7 6 cylinder mated to to Rams 8 speed automatic with active grill shutters which automatically close at highway speeds for economy. Its rated at 17 city, and 25 hwy. I have never gotten less than 20mpg in the city! The ride is smooth and comfortable, the design beats the domestic rivals hands down in looks and driveability. I got my Tradesman with power windows, locks, satellite radio, cruise, remote tail gate locking, tow package, bedliner etc for under 23,000. Guys you wont find a nicer better looking, and driving truck for this amount. I give it 5 stars. Plus free 5yr roadside assistance and 100k power train warranty

8 speed automatic transmission and 305 hp V6 with flex fuel capabilities. Quiet ride with tons of features in a base model.

New Truck Just Quit
By qaz2

2013 Ram 1500 SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

We bought the RAM 1500 in Feb 2013. It ran great for 9000 miles, averaging 22 mpg city/25 mpg highway. On a trip to the Florida Keys, the "check engine" symbol was displayed flashing and the truck automatically shut down while we were traveling at 60 mph on a busy highway. VERY unsafe condition. We finally were towed to a dealership. They replaced an ignition coil. Five miles later it happened again. Had to get towed once again. Dealership found that it was a short in the wiring bundle. Problem finally fixed. Overall cost to us - $400 (rental cars, hotels, etc.). Called RAM to see if they would provide some compensation, and they said sorry about that. Nice support there.

MPG. What other vehicle this size can average 22 mpg in the city? Height above traffic - nice sitting high up. Good acceleration. Driver display panel is well laid out.

We've owned over 20 new cars throughout our lifetime and never had them just quit at highway speeds. You're using software to keep further damage from happening, but sometimes it's better to have the damage happen verses putting the passengers in an extremely unsafe condition. High speed traffic on a multiple lane road is not the time to turn off the engine. And it might be a good idea to provide some compensation when one of your new cars causes such dramatic effects and costs to a customer's vacation. The entire episode and treatment has convinced us to never buy a Dodge or RAM product again. And of course, it will take awhile to trust our truck again...

Very Poor Electrical systems
By djennings1

2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4dr Crew Cab 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

My husband & I bought a 2013 Ram 1500 V8-Hemi fully loaded Lonestar package 6 months ago. Electrical problems: Ram box, glove box & reading lights inoperable; Cruise control & traction control dash lights staying on. Mechanical: Check engine light came on due to a faulty injector -required replacement. Not once were we offered a rental car although we purchased the add on comprehensive Zurich vehicle service contract. All repairs required 3 different visits lasting multiple days. We just learned the odometer is reading at least 15 miles above driving speed. We will return for our 4th repair visit tomorrow. We traded a 2003 Dodge ram we drove 10 years that we loved. Very dissappointed!

The interior is very nice and spacious.

Don't sell a truck with highly upgraded electrical equipement for $45,000 if it is not going to last more than 6 months!