More of a muscle car with a bed
By lawman1967 on
2012 Ram 1500 Sport 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)
I went to my Ram dealer to buy a modern pickup truck, but came home with a 1960s muscle car instead. This thing is very fast, handles well in normal driving, but is crude and ponderous on twisty roads, just like those muscle cars of the 1960s. It even makes proper muscle car noises and wears one of the most famous muscle car badges. Of course, it IS a modern pickup truck, with all of the payload, towing ability and that commanding driving position that trucks have always provided. The quad cab actually has decent rear seat room, and all versions are very smooth and quiet on the highway. Ford makes a better truck, but doesn't come close to the actual market price.
Favorite Features
The V8, of course.
Suggested Improvements
Better fuel economy, but the 8-speed coming out for 2013 should provide that.
By lawman1967
on 10/01/12 22:20 PM (PDT)

I've had this truck for 3 months and 6,000 miles and would like to revise my initial impression. Ford does NOT make a better truck, just a different one. In 6,000 miles I have not had a single issue. Not one squeak, not a single rattle, nothing. I wish my 2012 Mercedes-Benz C250 was this well put-together. Ford trucks can be outfitted to tow more, or to get better fuel efficiency (for 2012, 2013 Ram passes Ford with the 8 speed and Pentastar), but in terms of quality I can't imagine any truck being better. As good, sure, but not better. The fuel economy has even improved with break-in. I get 18 MPG in highway cruising at 80 MPH, and 21 MPG at 70 MPH. Not bad for a 390-horsepower Hemi with 3.92 towing gears.