Cross-Shopped with Ford, Loved the Ram
By notafraid11 on
2012 Ram 1500 Sport 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)
After extensive shopping for a full-sized truck - mainly comparing it with the Ford F-150 XLT, I chose the Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn. It had the perfect mix of features I wanted (back-up camera, navigation) without having to have features I didn't necessarily want to pay for (leather, two-tone paint) that are available in the higher trim lines. Had to jump up to higher trim lines to get these features in the Ford. I also like the look of the Ram better than the Ford (as most seem to), and like its power delivery versus the Ford as well - EcoBoost in the Ford was not very smooth. This is an excellent truck - very high quality, great power, and a great mix of useful mid-line features.
Favorite Features
Navigation and 40GB hard disk drive are useful and the Alpine sound system is very powerful and delivers great sound. The 5.7L HEMI engine is very powerful and does its best to return good fuel economy via the MDS cylinder-deactivation feature. Rear seat space is excellent. The back-up camera is a must in a vehicle this huge and makes it easier to maneuver. I haven't used the 4x4 system yet, but like that it has an "Auto" feature which decides for itself when 4x4 is necessary rather than having to guess. Of course there is the 4x4 High Lock and Low positions as well when you know you need it. I also love the big V-8 sound versus the turbo rush of the V-6 in the Ford.
Suggested Improvements
If Chrysler is trying to separate Ram from Dodge, why is 'DODGE' displayed prominently on the top of the dash?? Also, it is not clear to me how to update the nav system maps and reference points. Also, I wish that it was possible to use the Sirius TrafficLink with the 'lower-level' nav system. I love the acceleration of the 3.92 gears but do not love the lower fuel economy - I wish my truck had the numerically lower final drive ratio. I've come close to 19 MPG, but it was not easy.