2011 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 5-speed Automatic 6.4 ft. Bed Consumer Review - Thoroughly Drive This Beast Before

2011 Ram 1500 - Consumer Review

Sport Quad Cab (5.7L V8 5-speed Automatic 6.4 ft. Bed)

Thoroughly Drive This Beast Before You Buy
By jclaeys on

2011 Ram 1500 Sport 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

If you don't mind a "growly" engine and a vibration in the undercarriage in the "constantly seeking eco mode"..this is your truck. If you don't mind poor sight lines over the fenders, this is your truck..if you don't mind poor gas mileage, ( and, I'm talking 11mpg pure city and 16mpg max on long trips), this is your truck. If you don't mind poor paint quality, and poor customer service at the dealership, this is your truck. Never mind the deal you're going to get....it will cost you dearly when you go to sell it a few months later, when you don't enjoy even driving it anymore.

Favorite Features

Interior quality.

Suggested Improvements

Improve paint quality, be honest about gas mileage...it guzzles. Drop the 8/4 engine technology until it matches General Motors seemless engine performance. Where is bluetooth? That's just wrong.
By lawman1967
on 06/29/12 06:56 AM (PDT)

Umm, bluetooth is an option, you just didn't pick a truck equipped with it. 16 MPG is fine for a 5.7 V8, but your truck (unless you drive it with a lead foot or have the 4.2 gearing) will easily hit 20 MPG (my 5.7 with 3.92 rear got 21 MPG on my last highway trip). Paint isn't up to Mercedes-Benz levels, but is no worse than Ford or GM and looks fine for a domestic pickup truck. Again if your particular truck had a poor paint job, why did you pick that particular truck? The eco mode (8-4 cylinder) is fantastic. There is very little change in sound and the switch from 8 to 4 cylinders is smooth and nearly imperceptible, but the fuel economy gains are quite noticeable. Ford F150 is a better truck, but it sure isn't $7000 better, which is how much more I would have had to pay to get an F150 equipped comparably to my Ram 1500 Express.

By atraveler
on 06/04/12 12:33 PM (PDT)

Just a thought, but.....why would anyone buy a vehicle without driving it and knowing about all those things beforehand. I have owned many new and used cars and trucks and I drove every one of them (with the exception of a few antiques) and if anything was wrong and I bought it anyway, it was my fault.