2011 Ram 1500 ST
By blueram1500 on
2011 Ram 1500 ST 4dr Crew Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)
My 2002 S10 was on its last legs and I realized it was time to trade in for something new. The purchase of the Ram came down to one simple need: Value. I come from a Ford family. My dad's employment enables me to get the some of the best discounts that Ford offers. I have always loved the F-150 and was planning on buying one. Dodge won me over not only with their newer design on the Ram but also with their promises of renewed quality (backed by a pretty good warranty). That and the Ram was $5k cheaper than Ford AFTER all of my discounts. After a month of driving, I have none of the typically reported Chrysler drivetrain problems to speak of... Knock on wood.
Favorite Features
I love the interior space of the Ram. Coming from a small size pickup that could only seat two comfortably with an inhumane 2nd row jumpseat for a third, I love that I can fit six adults comfortably. While the large size of the truck makes parking a living hell (I'm sure I'll get used to it), the turning radius is excellent and it feels like I'm so much safer inside of it. The exterior build quality seems excellent so far. The interior is bland (keep in mind that it is the bottom line ST package) but very comfortable. I absolutely love the real 2nd row doors on the extended cab instead of suicide doors like on the F-150.
Suggested Improvements
The 4.7L V8 engine is pretty lame. It has 310 hp compared to the V6 in the F-150 that has 302 hp. Gas mileage. I average about 15.3 mpg mostly city driving and I drive like an old lady. I'll be looking for performance parts to help this but Dodge needs to start looking at what the competition is getting for gas mileage. The biggest thing that needs improvement is Chrysler's reputation. I am just waiting for the transmission to lock up on the highway or for the engine to shoot a rod because their reputation for poor quality is so well known. I basically traded peace of mind for a more affordable vehicle.