Used 2011 Ram 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ram 1500

View reviews for a specific 1500 model:

After 3 years, still a good truck, but a few flaws
By gianofan

2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Edition 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

After 3 years of owning this truck and putting 44k miles on it, I thought I share a few thoughts. First of all, this remains a very good truck overall and I'm still happy with it. That said, I'm eyeing a new 2014 or 15 Longhorn and considering a trade. This is primarily due to the new 8 gear transmission. The 2011 had only the 5 gear, and there is a huge performance difference between them (which I realized after a test drive of a 2014 model recently). There are also a number of other nice new features in the newer models....

Favorite Features

RamBox and spray-in bed liner. Powerful Hemi engine. Interior design and finishes, including Longhorn seats and leather. Roomy interior, including back seat area. Overall look of the truck. Rear floor board storage.

Suggested Improvements

The only gripes that I have with this vehicle are: 1. There is a really annoying rattle that developed about 1.5 years ago inside the dash, just left of the steering wheel. I have no idea what it is and 2 visits to the dealership to fix it have resulted in no proper fix. It drives me batty. 2. The fuel economy isn't stellar, and I am a pretty tame driver. I don't accelerate like crazy and I don't usually drive fast. I average 15 or so in city, and 17 or so if on interstate for a while. 3. Road noise has increased over time. Part of this may be due to the wear on my tires (but I rotate them on schedule)?? 4. Radio system has malfunctioned a few times, requiring software updates

75k and going
By mrish

2011 Ram 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I'm just now hitting 75k miles on my 11' Outdoorsman. It has been completely reliable to date. No issues to report at all. the only thing I've done is change the oil, air filter, and plugs. Which by the way, has to be changed every 30k miles and there are 16 of them. I have a 30' travel trailer that weighs in at 6400# and it tows it great. I use it as my daily driver and it is absolutely comfortable. MPG is about 17, mostly interstate.

Favorite Features

Towing capability, comfortable ride, gas mileage, handling, looks. I

Suggested Improvements

I purchase the Outdoorsman which isn't offered with leather, I wish I got the Laramie with the leather. RAMBOX lids are stating to fade. I like the MDS feature, but it can get annoying at times.

Love it, Hate it
By mmacht

2011 Ram 1500 Sport 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

The performance, comfort, and looks of the truck are amazing. The coil springs and small bed limit real hauling if your truck is actually a truck. Service departments are horrible. A defective tire turned into a battle. Since I bought it water has leaked into the cab and I'm being told that's normal. Over 7 efforts have been made to repair it and I'm now filing a lemon claim on it. Apparently, the water issue is a problem for Ram with people all over the internet trying to band-aid the issue. My dealership has told me to stop washing my truck. I'm not sure how they'll handle a response to the rain.

Favorite Features

The engine and looks are amazing. I love the interior design although the stock radio that I have is old looking and the UConnect system is frustrating at best. The acceleration of this thing is off the chain!

Suggested Improvements

The cabin needs to be made water tight on these trucks. I'd also like to see the "eco" mode kick in up until a higher rpm (this is a complaint most of the die-hard Ram truck owners disagree with me on). The sheetmetal has been thinned out significantly, probably in an effort to save weight and it makes the truck fairly susceptible to body damage. My stock headlights were too dim for me, so I bought some new ones and replaced them. Apparently, Chrysler thought that should be a long process that requires removing the front grill.

Engine Failure @ 16000
By jfwill82

2011 Ram 1500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my ram new in july 2011. Up until recently it has been perfect. It has 16064 miles on it and the check engine light came on but i didnt notice any performance issues. I took it to the dealership to get scheduled in and they hooked it up to the computer and said it was only a missfire. I kept driving my truck and it only got worse. Loud knocking and backfiring and missing and valve noise. I took it back to the shop and they actually did a little bit of diagnostics on it and found the cylinder head had broke where the rocker shaft bolts to it. I have also had a grinding noise when losing traction when braking.

Great to drive
By bigmiles

2011 Ram 1500 Sport 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased used June 2010, 34K miles, now have 68K. Con's: Have heard clicking/grinding noise under pedals when traction breaks. I suspect universal to transfer case, but dealer will verify. Other issue is the Uconnect / radio, cuts out, pops, this too will be dealt with at dealer. No cabin air filter for these trucks, guess that was a cost savings from manufacturer, I installed my own in 15 min. at a cost of $28.00 great investment. Glad I purchased the warranty. Pro's: Drove on vacation, I always use cruise, 19 MPG avg for trip of 2600 miles.

Favorite Features

ECO boost saves on fuel. I do see where others have complained of this feature, however I have not had the same problems. Yes it does rumble / growl some but not to the point of annoyance.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control should be on steering wheel, not on separate column stick. Storage under rear seat should be boxed in contour, not slopped, this restricts use.