Better than the 911 I have dreamed about
By srryofcr on
2006 Porsche Cayman S 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)
Unlike all other sports cars I have owned or driven my Cayman S loves to dance. As an instructor for various car clubs I have had the chance to drive many Porsche products the way they were meant to be - on the track. The Cayman S in stock trim can run with race prepped older 911s and does a great job at hanging with the 997 cars. In my opinion to get a better track car you'd have to buy a GT3. To boot it has available all the creature comforts that you can afford to add, good economy (28mpg highway in my experience), and is a comfortable cruiser for 2 for the weekend. It gets looks all day long, as they are "rare".
Favorite Features
The steering input and feedback is perfect. The brakes are confidence boosting and solid. The shifter is the best of any 6 speed I have driven - acura/honda included. The A/C Max button must channel cold air from both poles... zero to goosebumps in seconds. The Xenon headlights are phenominal. The Bose stereo is an expensive must - it drowns out the over the shoulder hum when you dont want it. I regret not having sport chrono- which can be added by the dealer for ~1k.
Suggested Improvements
Watch the center exhaust when getting out luggage from the back... its scalding hot! I service my own vehicles - the Cayman takes twice as long to do anything as anything else in our fleet - improved serviceablity would be appreciated. The rear hatch on my car (with less than 10k mi. on the odo) thunks... dealer(s) say that goes with owning a Cayman... its not terrible but unacceptable in a 70k car.