Used 2006 Porsche Cayman S Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Porsche Cayman-s - Consumer Reviews

2006 Porsche Cayman S

Base 3.4L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (53 reviews )

Amazing...
By JC

2006 Porsche Cayman S 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

The Porsche Cayman provides really amazing bang for the buck. This car handles impeccably. My only compliant is that the car could use a few more horsepower, but I guess they need to protect the Carerra. It does zero to sixty in 5.1 seconds, which is still pretty darn quick. It is a blast to drive. The sound of the engine above 4,,000 rpm is exquisite. I miss it when I'm not driving. I would skip the Bose stereo system, but the sport shifter and PASM are recommended. It looks great in silver, and much better in person than in photos. I recommend it over the stock Carrera for all around fun, the C4 and turbo versions excepted.

Favorite Features

All of them. this car is really fun and it handles great. PASM, sport shifter, and xenon lights are recommend options. The heated seats are also a nice feature.

Suggested Improvements

The Bose stereo system sounds terrible, it could use 30-40 more horsepower, although I guess if they did that they would have to stop making the standard Carrera. Actually come to think of it, I need to look in to a sport exhaust system.

I Love My Cayman!
By michelle

2006 Porsche Cayman S 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

Everything about this car is great. At delivery the radiator had a leak. I have had no problems since. This is by far the best car I've ever driven. I like it better than my Boxster!

Favorite Features

I'm short, my husband is tall and this is one of the few cars that fit us both comfortably. The seats are very comfortable for trips.

Suggested Improvements

None!

Two Cars in One
By dacrunk

2006 Porsche Cayman S 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my Cayman S 2 1/2 weeks ago and have driven 2,150 miles to date. What an awesome machine! Putt around town, in traffic and keep the rpm below 4,000 rpm and you have a very docile, easy to drive pussy cat...put your foot into it and it becomes a TIGER above 4,500 rpm. I chose the car for it's styling, handling and engineering and it has far surpassed any expectations I had! To me this machine is a culmination of the very best of every Porsche ever made! Next time I'll pass on the Bose system, as I find the bass a bit too flabby for my taste. For those who want more power, try the driving school, as the race track is the ONLY place you might need more power.

Favorite Features

The "Fun Factor" (It's impossible to keep the smile off of your face!) The handling and balance is so well tuned it's like driving a very nicely appointed 'Slot-Car'!

Suggested Improvements

It would be very difficult to improve anything about this awesome machine except to maybe extend the warranty so us 'hard-core' types might drive even more!

Possibly My Last Car
By esaam ismail

2006 Porsche Cayman S 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

Since 1992 I've owned the following cars: two twin turbo Toyota Supras, three Acura NSXs, a Honda S2000, and four BMW M3s. I've driven all these cars on the Sebring race track and I was completely blown away by the Cayman S. The handling, power (especially in low gears), the clutch/gearbox, and brakes are phenominal. I was convinced that I was getting the new Z4 M Coupe, but I was lucky enough to have a dealership that had both cars to drive. I drove them 30 minutes apart and the Cayman S was beyond better in every area (except cup holder). I found the car with the options I wanted and had it home one week later.

Favorite Features

The handling, handling, and handling! I also love the clutch/gear box, brakes and power. sport seats, pasm and sport chrono are a must for the track. I also like the short throws with the optional sport shifter. I have the optional auto a/c and I have yet to smell anything from the outside. It has the best filter ever.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder needs to be able to hold a bottle of water, not just an actual cup. Bluetooth should be available. The basic radio and a/c controls should also be on the steering wheel.

Fabulous Driver's Car
By JM

2006 Porsche Cayman S 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

This is the best driver's Porsche south of a 911 RS. The mid-engined layout offers balance and feedback to the driver which is matched only by a Lotus Exige (the difference being that you can get in and out of the Cayman without being a contortionist). It looks much better in the metal than in photographs and the looks grow on you too. Buy it in red or black - rather spend your money on the PASM active suspension option than pay for metallic paint. If you see someone driving a 911 you're never sure if they have bought it for the image - you can be sure the Cayman owner bought it for sheer thrill of driving.

Favorite Features

I love the handling balance, driver feedback, seats, induction roar over 4,000 rpm, and looking at the rear haunches in the wing mirror.

Suggested Improvements

It could use 20 more horsepower - but then who would buy a Carrera?