Used 2006 Porsche Cayman S Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Porsche Cayman S - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.4L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (53 reviews )

Simply Amazing and Still strong at 95k miles
By vitoaf

2006 Porsche Cayman S 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

This car is the best daily driver true sports car you will ever own (unless you want to fit more than 2 ppl). I've driven Lambo, Ferrari, etc... truly amazing cars, but not daily drivers. In this car you can fully utilize it's power and agility on the road while having the reliability of a Honda or Toyota. I'm near the 100k mark and have had no major issues. You want a safe car? This is it. You have all the tools you need to be an offensive driver and when those tools fail, you are surrounded by airbags to soften the blow. This car will follow your line of sight and place you exactly where you tell it to. It's an extension of the driver. This could easily be the only car I ever own.

The driving experience, and build quality. My car is lowered a little bit on 19's and I drive through some terrible roads in Houston barely suitable for 4x4's on a daily basis. I will put any car through the ringer, and safe to say I am thoroughly impressed with my PCS! It's practically indestructible. The car drives like an extension of you and responds exactly how you would expect it to. I don't buy a car to sit it in a garage, my vehicle is my tool, and just because it's a "Porsche" does not mean I will treat it differently, in fact I expect more from it. This car exceeds all of my expectations. Would love to see it in a 24Hr Lemans race.

Only thing I can think of is that it can get a bit warm in the cabin after a day of hard driving since the engine is directly behind you. Nothing the A/C can't fix though. Easier access to the motor would be nice. Kind of a headache to have to open the top back there. The keys to the car sometimes pops the front trunk accidentally. Can't really think of anything that the average driver would deal with.

Better than the 911 I have dreamed about
By srryofcr

2006 Porsche Cayman S 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

Unlike all other sports cars I have owned or driven my Cayman S loves to dance. As an instructor for various car clubs I have had the chance to drive many Porsche products the way they were meant to be - on the track. The Cayman S in stock trim can run with race prepped older 911s and does a great job at hanging with the 997 cars. In my opinion to get a better track car you'd have to buy a GT3. To boot it has available all the creature comforts that you can afford to add, good economy (28mpg highway in my experience), and is a comfortable cruiser for 2 for the weekend. It gets looks all day long, as they are "rare".

The steering input and feedback is perfect. The brakes are confidence boosting and solid. The shifter is the best of any 6 speed I have driven - acura/honda included. The A/C Max button must channel cold air from both poles... zero to goosebumps in seconds. The Xenon headlights are phenominal. The Bose stereo is an expensive must - it drowns out the over the shoulder hum when you dont want it. I regret not having sport chrono- which can be added by the dealer for ~1k.

Watch the center exhaust when getting out luggage from the back... its scalding hot! I service my own vehicles - the Cayman takes twice as long to do anything as anything else in our fleet - improved serviceablity would be appreciated. The rear hatch on my car (with less than 10k mi. on the odo) thunks... dealer(s) say that goes with owning a Cayman... its not terrible but unacceptable in a 70k car.

MAGIC EVERYDAY--or for 20 -30.000mi.
By frankraineri

2006 Porsche Cayman S 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my caymann new. Saved from the age of 14 to get this thing. WELL at @17000 mi. it was using oil witch they said was "normal"[1qt. per. 600mi] WOW!!! so at @ 22000mi. It was using MORE!! Turns out the motor was tearing itself to pieces when they said it was normal .. so out of warrantee it needs a motor. PORSCHE DID THE RIGHT THING AND replaced the motor.. it still cost me big.. But thats beside the point. I bought this car as a sportscar I can enjoy everyday. This motor only lasted as long as the tires. Its serviced reg. not tracked and stock.. not the robust car I thought I bought.Now my dream cars a nightmare and I don't know what to do with it. afarid to drive it over 22K

well.. I can still get a good dollar for it when I sell it.Don't get me wrong. It handels great. Performance is everything they say it is. BUT.. and this is a BIG BUTT..To advertise a car that you can enjoy everyday and for me. I did. But when a car experances such a catrostrophic failure. at such a young age and low miles puts a serious damper on the driveing pleasure. and calls doubt the engeneering superiorty they claim. Me Myself had every intention to have a PORSCHE, any porsche, in my garage for the rest of my life. But this expearance has made it clear.. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER PORSCHE.......EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make a motor that is assured to last as long. or longer than a $20.000 car..ALSO if the car your costomer pays $72.000 for has a serious problem. Look into it to see if it is as serious as he or she says BEFORE the warrantees up. I lost all faith in this car. If you want a car to start your own museum.. well its a great car. but if you want a serious sports car that you can confidentently drive everyday... than go elsewhere

Flawless
By Porsche #5

2006 Porsche Cayman S 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

The Cayman S is best all around Porsche I have ever owned. The quality is excellent. The Cayman S is well balanced between power and handling. Great roadablity around town and when I select the PASM and it is outstanding. And the servicing is only 2 year or 20K.

PASM, Xenon Headlights, the design interior and exterior.

Nonstop problems
By gregory

2006 Porsche Cayman S 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

I have had nonstop problems with my Cayman s 2006 converters had to be replaced, check engine lights several times, air bag lights and now a new clutch system because the wrong one was put in from the factory. Oh yes coolant light comes on but it is not low check the Cayman forums before you buy Porsche dependability was ranks last according to a recent survey

Sharp looking car

Do not sell the car until it is ready