I've done a lot of research before purchasing this vehicle. Dealer was quite helpful in research.
Custom ordered with Premium+ pkg, pan roof, tow pkg etc on 08/22/2013. It was built, shipped and reach at dealership on 10/31. Impressive! I'm quite pleased with what this vehicle offers. Below are a few details:
* Handling is awesome with quick acceleration and solid stopping power - its cornering ability is impressive.
* Impressive Mileage: I get 30+ mpg driving conservatively in mixed city/hwy mode.
* Aggressive driving in sport mode gets me 22+ mpg in combined
* Highway driving alone 32+ mpg @ 50-55mph, best keeping it under 2000RPM. goes under 30mpg @ 70+mph,
* Excellent Handling/driving dynamics
* Sport Mode is Awesome - a lot of fun to drive
* Excellent Fuel economy
* Long driving range - 550-600 miles between fill-ups
* Very quiet and smooth for a Diesel
* Lane Change Assist and Parking Sensors are quite functional and helpful
* Navigation is outdated - roads built 6 years back can't be found on the map. Routing is not optimal. POIs are useless.
* FM receiver is not the best. My 06 Azera has better reception.
* Bi-xenon PDLS low beam range is very limited and makes it often hard to drive in the back roads in the night. The range gets further at speeds above 80mph, but driving @ above 80mph in backroads is a little hard :-(
* Aha online service is a great concept but pretty immature at best - a long ways to go.
* No place to hold sun glasses. Not much place/real estate to hold belongings.
I initially convinced my wife to go diesel and she was skeptical at first till I told her the benefits of diesel. We live in the L.A. Area and She commutes almost 90 miles round trip and durability was important. We bought our carmine red cayenne sept 2013 with the premium plus package.
At the one year mark we had put 31K miles on it. Over that mileage, we get combined fwy/city of 30.2 mpg. For some odd reason my wife gets about 36-37 mpg and I get around 30. I must have a lead foot..lol. Irregardless, my old gas cayenne got around 19mpg. During summer diesel was around $4/gal and regular/premium was around 4.25/4.45+. I ended up saving around $2800 in gas - in a little over a yr I should recoup the price premium for the diesel upgrade.
The Urea additive has been negligible in cost. I've put in about 10 gals in 31K miles and I still have about 4 gals left over. I got the 2.5 gal jugs at autozone/o'riellys ~$13
Car stops really good, lots of power, tires still good- think they may last till 50K miles. Do my own oil changes for about $120/5K miles. Be careful with oil level-7.7-7.9 liters, don't overfill it. Dealership wants around $265/295 oil change. Build quality good - only one prob: EGR temp sensor went out, but covered on warranty at ~29,500 miles. Apparently unusual per the dealer? Fun to drive.
My best friend has the cayenne GTS - now he wishes he had the diesel. It's very user friendly