Used 2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:

Sleek, ultra comfort and a nasty growl
By Manny

2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV Tiptronic 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I bought a CPO 2012 cayenne hybrid last dec 2014 with 44k umber metallic with 21 PZero summer tires. I avg 20 mpg. After 16 mos I have no problems to report. This is my first hybrid auto so it took a few weeks to get used to the way the hybrid system works. I have tried to push it and man the power this car has is awesome. The growl makes me smile. Great brakes and those 21 inch sleek tires has amazing grip! Luxurious on the inside, supple leather and intuitive center console. I wake up every morning and open my garage to look at it and smile. I am pretty happy. The only cons I have is the depreciation I noticed after I bought the car, over 8k? That's after I looked at a few similar cars currently on sale. Poor nego skills on my part. Also First month my wife scratched the right front rims not once but twice! 5k tire pkg ouch! She will drive the audi from now on.

Turbo me to Planet Turbo!
By Stuart Renn

2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV Turbo 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

My first car, and what a beast! The inside would have you believe this is a stately Rolls, floating over road bumps as if they weren't there. Then you put your right foot down and all of a sudden it feels like a track car.
My spec list: PDCC, PTV+, full two-tone leather with wood handles and accents, 4.8l turbo, full Premium pkg plus (rear AC, adaptive cruise, pano roof, ...), air suspension with PASM, 14-way seats and importantly, sound insulated windows.

I love the quietness of this car - you can hardly hear smaller vehicles on the freeway. Engine sounds lovely, non-intrusive. I really appreciate the comfort of this car the most - air suspension feels like a flying carpet, I have it set on Comfort most of the time.
The engine has instant power from low revs and gives out a lovely growl when woken up.

This is the ideal car for those who enjoy finer things in life.

Great automobile, lousy customer support
By pablo3031

2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV Turbo 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased a new 2012 Cayenne turbo, wonderful piece of machinery.
Design, looks, ride and engine all great.
Brakes have been an issue, 4 visits to dealer resulted in new rotors and pads at roughly 15,000 miles due to unbearable squeaking noise, still persists.
Dealer has confirmed, Porsche rep confirmed and has said that thats the way it is.
I have been waiting for a call back from dealer for 4 weeks now, nothing. For a purchase of $130K I expect more from a customer service standpoint.

Engine is silky smooth but incredibly fast when needed.

Correct brake issue but more importantly instill importance of dealer / Porsche USA communication to customer. My Turbo will be traded for another brand within the next several months once new model is available from competitor because dealer and Porsche USA are far to busy to call me back. Porsche has lost a customer, not due to car issue but lack of communication.

2012 Cayenne Turbo
By mgustaplay

Self-admitted, car-research guy.
Brought this beast in Mar '12.
Traded '08 911 4s; needed 4 doors and back seats (3 teenagers and complaining wife). Ubmer, two-tone leather, 21" turbo whls, sprt, premium, steel skids, Burmester - $130k (4% dsct off MSRP).
Mixed impressions.
The Good: Super fast, sounds great, corners like no other, beautiful interior, roomy enough for four (five is tight), pano roof is awesome, sport mode changes character of car.
The Mixed: oil leak first week (bad "o" ring in mftg build); the breaks squeak when coming to stop (not subtle squeak; very loud; service says it is a reality of these cars); Exterior styling is just OK.
For $130k I want only positives.

Interior is unparalleled. Passengers and Valets are always positively commenting. You get used to all the buttons and possible configurations in short order. The driving characteristics are fantastic. This is why you buy Porsches. Pronounced difference when Sport mode is engaged - louder, tighter, faster. Entrance and exit ramps are always a fun time to test the limits, which I have not found yet. Very comfortable for four people. Throw in a fifth and it gets tight in back. The trunk is reasonable. I can get four sets of clubs with no issue. Also, surprisingly, a compact car. I can carefully maneuver it into a 8 foot wide, side turn garage door. My wife's MDX doesn't fit.

1.) Break squeaking. Frankly, it's embarrassing pulling up to stop sign / light and having this car squeal. My Porsche guy told me to get it up to 50 mph and then jam the breaks. Do this three times and it warms up the break and the noise stops. No thanks. Here's a suggestion . . . fix the break compound. 2.) Exterior styling. I think the Range Rover Evoque looks more interesting. Maybe some more pronounced flairs, more dramatic engine hood, more rakish roof line? Porsche designers can do a better job. If they can get the exterior to match the interior . . . game over. Net-Net: not sure if I will keep it. Like I said, mixed emotions.

first impressions of v6 cayenne
By bigleadfoot

2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV Tiptronic 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Just bought my first porsche and my first SUV. Here are the specs/options for my v6 Cayenne:
8-speed automatic
panoramic sunroof
running boards, roof rails, and trailer hitch
adjustable suspension with PASM
heated seats and steering wheel

Driving impressions: I love the sport engine mode and sport suspension setting! This 2 ton behemoth brakes, corners, and accelerates like a sports car even with a v6. The most comfortable suspension setting for me is actually sport. Ironically, the comfort and normal suspension modes are actually less comfortable for me: suspension is noisy over bumps and the car feels like a boat. If I need brisk acceleration, I press the sport button and this v6 rockets me out of trouble with ease. When I want relaxed/economical driving, I disengage sport engine mode, but still keep the suspension in sport. I love the dashboard design full of buttons. Heated seats and steering wheel are also wonderful.

Engine noise and vibration are rather noticeable at idle. Switching between 2nd & 3rd gears can be jerky at times, but otherwise the auto transmission is rather good. Rear visibility is awful. A rear view camera might be a worthy option. Some cabin squeaks may be audible at times when driving over rough pavement. The most bizzarre squeak in my car is the passenger seatbelt buckle. I eliminate this squeak by pushing it down between the seat and center console. Otherwise, this car is a marvel of engineering.